Foosball.com Forums

Warrior, Best Ball in the Foosball World!?

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
Warrior, Best Ball in the Foosball World!?
« on: August 08, 2008, 03:17:03 PM »
I bought some Dynamo (D) balls anticipating they were like Warrior (W) and wanting to get a feel for that kind of play before starting on Warrior...the Dynamo ball is much better than the red Tornado (T) ball in control and durability...so far

but the D is slower due to the addtional friction caused by the fact that it has more control...I thought the T ball was perfectly round and smooth but after playing with the D ball I have to say the T ball could use an overhaul...T is clearly faster but more control means more friction which means slower

one of my foos buds brought home a W ball and it is DEFINATELY NOT the same as the D ball...it is slightly lighter, has a little more control, and rolls "smoother"...not straighter, but smoother...very well done...both the D and W ball rolls more true than the red T

either of these would be an improvement over the red T ball and I never thought to say that because I didn't think there was a better, rounder, more durable ball made...but hey, I am still learning

T is talking about a new ball too so it will be fun to see what they come up with

I still think the ball table manufacture's should find a way to Officially Brand their tournament ball (at least) so everyone will know when they have an "official regulation approved" ball...I don't know the manufacturing method but I certain it can be done...something like a logo with a stripe that goes around the ball on either side of the name, logo, league, etc....example

======Warrior/IFP=====C1===Official Tournament Ball=======

======Warrior=====C1===Official IFP Tournament Ball=======

you get the idea, other ways but the point is to do it

also, as I have said before, I think ALL home models should ship with a "beginner ball" which has even more control (Tons of control, regardless of how it wears but one that stays true-round) ...different color, different logo

there should at least be 2 versions (Beginner and Official Tournament) but if I was in charge there would be at least 4 different balls each with a different level of control and each a different color 1-4
(C4 being most control)

Beginner (C4)
Amature (C3)
Tournament Pro (C2)
Official Tournament (C1) this would have the least control but would have the same control as the D and/or W
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 03:18:37 PM by bbtuna »

Re: Warrior, Best Ball in the Foosball World!?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 06:53:00 PM »
Should I take that as a recommendation to buy a few of the Yellow Dynamo balls, since there are no warrior balls to be bought at this time?

Would practicing yellow ball on a tornado improve consistency and everything else on a warrior table, or do you think it might be beneficial to play with a bit slicker ball to work on passing and shooting for consistency?

Thoughts/comments?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 07:48:29 PM by Syronis »

Offline MR.STEVE

• slowhand
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 07:41:34 PM »
I wonder what the count of missing balls was in Ky it was like every time you picked a table to play on the ball was missing put a logo on them they all be gone....lol

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 07:49:29 PM »
I read, don't remember if it was here or not, that although some balls were taken, some balls also would be shot into the goal, and fall down the hollow legs. Someone said when unpacking their table from the tournament they found like 6 balls inside of the leg.

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 09:17:20 PM »
Wow, Bbtuna, what a statement coming from you, a seemingly stalwart of the Tornado persuasion. Well you got my interest up. Lack of control has always been my beef with Tornado as it limits the wide open play we enjoyed during the 70's. With every variance there comes into play a different effective style.  I always liked to catch the ball with a pin and if it was right, go into a shot. Not really hacking but more a freedom to go with the flow. Tornado really put the hamper on that. Since getting back into the game I've struggled with my "foos identity". Maybe with a little more control I could make the  double reversals "dance" again, front pinning a ball and going away and back so that the ball comes inline as I come back around to pick it up with a push that almost seems to happen mid-air, the dance. Can't do that on Tornados and that translates into lack of freedom of play. So, like I said, You've pequed my interest Bbtuna. Which ball most closely comes to the Warrior?

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 09:29:51 PM »
I'm pretty sure that the yellow dynamo ball is the closest one available at the moment.

I'm surprised you can't buy the balls off the Warrior website yet, however, I guess they're still in a fairly early phase of existence.

Offline MR.STEVE

• slowhand
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 11:25:17 AM »
Control is a big plus with the warrior balls I cought several on the fly with a pin didnt go in to a shot but it could be done easy ,I didnt hear about the hollow leg but if I buy a table Ill give it a shake and  get the one that rattles the most, I always need extra balls..

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 05:57:53 PM »
synronis,

i don't know, there are two schools of thought...to practice with a slicker ball, which is much harder, will force you to learn overall skills...I mean, if you watch Fred on Tornado you see what can be done even with a red ball and when you see him on tables with tons of control it is unreal

everyone seems to have made the transition from T to W in well less than a day, most in less than an hour so you wouldn't hurt yourself to not get the yellow D ball while waiting for the W

i have gotten 6 D balls and they are fun to play with and I will tell you what it does to my game on W but that will have to wait until Nov at MO States which I plan to go to

i can tell you for sure that if you do get the D ball, you won't want to go back to the red T ball, it feels like a rock on ice compared....

let me say, it adds control, but it doesn't have the kind of control Bonzini with cork balls has but it is a big improvement compared to T...AND it is a better all around ball

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 08:17:47 PM »
  Wow, Bbtuna, what a statement coming from you, a seemingly stalwart of the Tornado persuasion. Well you got my interest up. Lack of control has always been my beef with Tornado as it limits the wide open play we enjoyed during the 70's. With every variance there comes into play a different effective style.  I always liked to catch the ball with a pin and if it was right, go into a shot. Not really hacking but more a freedom to go with the flow. Tornado really put the hamper on that. Since getting back into the game I've struggled with my "foos identity". Maybe with a little more control I could make the  double reversals "dance" again, front pinning a ball and going away and back so that the ball comes inline as I come back around to pick it up with a push that almost seems to happen mid-air, the dance. Can't do that on Tornados and that translates into lack of freedom of play. So, like I said, You've pequed my interest Bbtuna. Which ball most closely comes to the Warrior? 

I beg to respectfully disagree, since I played for a year with Pascal a beginner player, now back in Belgium, who was a Jupiter & P4P player.  ALL, I mean ALL, his pass catching from 5bar to 3bar was to a pin.

He went back to Belgium this spring, and never had a complaint about the control, just like Rico and all his friends used to sticky balls and tables.   A couple of beginner players tried emulating his technique, and it wasn't too long before they were passing brushes, sticks, and bank passes to a pin.  Of course it was the techique and philosophy that many Euro players share that was the solution, nothing to do with the table.

I am sorry to say that had someone showed you, or you had found someone to show you the right technique, you would have none of these problems.  I believe anyone can use the right technique to play whatever style they wish on any table.  Just the breaks. And the willingness to adjust from the old way.

Too many well-intentioned players, screwed up by whomever they first learned from, think because a technique worked, that it should work or something's wrong with the table.

Example: You see a lot beginners being taught to point their 3bar feet away from the 5bar to help catch a pass, which is ridiculous from the point of view of good passers.  Good ones have the 3bar straight down or even pointing backwards, and just catch the ball, having learned to "give" with the shock, and having maximum time to control the pass.  And that's why there's a whole generation of morons who never figured out why some players just have those "sick" passing sequences.  They can't figure out the "shock absorber" at the end of the pass, or why they rarely let a hard wall or brush down slip through, ever.

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 08:58:12 PM »
Ah, Fooskillah, when I learned foosball there wasn't anyone to "show you". We were the pioneers. Thus we learned to play the game as the tables allowed. Every different table had it's own effective play and we complained when it changed but adjusted just the same. I've played Bonzini tables and I've played Tornados. How far apart could two tables be different? So when I say a certain table allowed freedom of play, it means just that. Not limited like the tables are at each end of the spectrum.

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 05:12:15 PM »
Warrior ball makes the game easier for beginners. Thats probably why you like it so much.The warrior ball and table sucks.

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 05:44:29 PM »
John, just because a table is different doesn't mean it sucks. I think there's alot of good virtues to the warrior table. Look at some of the Euro tables, especially Bonzini... I mean it looks like a toy. Do the players complain about it? No, they play the table for what it is. They don't equate it to other tables. I'm sorry if you had to step outside your comfort zone.

Your comment holds little weight on the situation, due to the fact that there's no actual factual background to back up your claim to the table sucking.

A few things to remember: The table was  home model, the table was still going to have modifications made, the table is not tornado, and different does not equate to suckage.

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 07:08:47 PM »
John, there's nothing wrong with a table that makes the game easier for beginners. Foosball is a game that should be shared with all, but it also has one of the steepest learning curves of any of the others in its class (billiards, shuffleboard, airhockey). Anything that will help people who want to actually learn techniques is welcomed in my opinion. I also think highly of the Bonzini table. I haven't had the opportunity to play on the Warrior, but from what I've heard, it works and people like it. It's not a Tornado, but a 2008 tornado ain't no 2000 tornado either.

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 09:26:16 PM »
I'm with you for most of what you say Syronis but I lost you at "Bonzini ....looks like a toy???"  I'm mainly a Bonzini player so I may be a bit biased, but come on - a toy??

It's the only recognized table made of real wood, the players are made of an aluminum alloy and hand painted.  It's a piece of art!! And other than a few minor tweaks (i.e. milling the side of the player feet) and ball modernization (composite plastic from cork) the Bonzinis from today and forty years ago are almost the same.

No offense to the Tornado and Warrior players - they seem to be great tables - but I can't keep track of how many versions of these tables (especially Tornado) that have come out in the past couple of years that are supposed to be THE top model.  Have you heard of 'Bionicles' by Lego - same story - give it a new colour and a new model name and sell it again ------> Toys. 

Okay, maybe I'm more than a bit biased. ;D

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 09:59:25 PM »
I'm sorry for any offense you've taken in my comments. I've never really played a Bonzini table and based my judgment on aesthetics only. I shouldn't jump to conclusions, and after watching some Bonzini videos I appreciate it a bit more.

I'll agree with you that Tornado has to many "top" models. It seems to be changing almost yearly. I'm still not comfortable with Tornado tables, I learned to play on a Lehmacher and played a bit on P4P when I was an exchange student years ago. I've never faced anybody decent at foosball to really gauge an opinion on Tornado. Mostly from what I do know, is that I really like the speed... but I hate the ball, but to that token I love the sound the ball makes cracking the back of the goal. I don't really understand why they decided to flatten the table and use 3 goalies, but it's become somewhat of a standard in a lot of american tables for some reason.

The main point I was trying to get, is that every table is different, and just because you may not like it doesn't degrade the quality of the table. I've seen way to many threads here and on other forums about how people don't like the Warrior table. Most of the comments are all geared towards making it play more like Tornado, which I find completely unnecessary.