Foosball.com Forums

Most active Foosball Area in USA??

Most active Foosball Area in USA??
« on: April 03, 2009, 11:37:31 AM »
So I am graduating in December and have the unique opportunity to decide where I am going to live for the next few years. One of my deciding factors is the level of foosball activity in the area I'm moving to.
So, where are the most active areas in the US? I live in BFE right now so I am completely out of the loop for any foosball action besides occasional games at parties (pretty much every house up here has a tornado table).

I want to be able to play in tournaments (not necessarily sanctioned, but at least league rules) at least once a month, preferably more than that (every weekend is my desire).

So where should I move??

Offline Daniel

Re: Most active Foosball Area in USA??
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 11:59:59 AM »
A great place to see where foosball is played is www.netfoos.com

Offline Daniel

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 12:02:33 PM »
They used to keep track of the top cities and I posted some of the info hopefully they will fix this part of there web page.

http://www.foosball.com/forum/index.php?topic=1946.0

Offline PatRyan

• www.usatablesoccer.org
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 12:07:54 PM »
If  it were me, I would pick the area that gives the best career opportunity, then the most appealing weather.  If all else is equal, then use foosball to decide.  We could propably guide you with some insight if we knew your choices.  Where are you now that there is no foosball?

Offline Daniel

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 12:42:17 PM »
ok it just got fixed check this out for the top cities that use www.netfoos.com

http://www.netfoos.com/active_2009_03.shtml

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 01:30:11 PM »
If you are looking for quality foosball....

Chicago (Bunch of Pros Promasters near by weekly Draw and monthly BYP)
Dallas, Texas (I would not be able to handle that one)
St. Louis, MO (bunch of players)
Denver, CO (Tons of good players)
Lexington, KY (Just for the Mary Moore Factor)

Those are some of the best foos towns in the country. they are in no particular order, good luck!

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 01:38:24 PM »
Netfoos stats can be mis-leading a little...i live in Kansas City and that rating is generous

Louisiana seems to be very active and producing a real fine crop of young players

outside of that, the best places, with the biggest and best bunch of players are...in no particular order

Minneapolis MN
Texas (Dallas/Fort Worth is biggest but Huston and Auttin are good too)
Denver CO

honorable mention
Lincoln Nebraska is also strong

these are the best areas and if I had to move and could go to one of these, I would probably pick MN but that is personal...

my favortie move would be to Columbus OH to get one on one training from Todd L but there is no foosball there besides him

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 03:52:33 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys. Right now I'm in Houghton, MI (in da UP) going to school at Michigan Tech.

PatRyan, I'm definitely going where the money is, and weather is up there too. But I don't think I would have a very happy life if I couldn't play competitive foosball a lot, even if I was a millionaire in the tropics.

It seems like michigan should have a more active foos community than it does. I mean we have 2 companies that make tables here (carrom and shelti). I understand that these tables aren't really tournament tables, but they are still foosball.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 03:57:40 PM by FreeSoil_Fooser »

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 05:30:40 PM »
sorry, forgot Detroit is pretty good too...one of my foos buds is from that area, moved here a couple years ago now and one of the new best Pro Masters is from there Ron Olson

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 06:54:03 PM »
yeah well, I don't think I'll be finding any jobs in detroit... ;D

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 06:30:02 AM »
Dallas Ft Worth 'Megaopolis'..8-10 different tourneys ,from Monday to Saturday ,,w/ a few promasters, a few pros ,and many semis/rooks ,plus many job opportunities here for sure

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 07:46:55 PM »
I guess it depends how serious you are about the game and what kind of exposure you want to experience.

Here's my two cents on some of the areas mentioned.

Minnesota, one of the strongest areas period with the likes of Tony Spredeman, Dave Gummeson, Phil Goatee, Steve Mohs, among others. But from what I hear from Brandon Moreland who has moved back here to Dallas, there is only one tourney a week.

Lincoln Nebraska is a good honorable mention. Deliza Baumback has just moved here from that area and she said they have some good things going on. They have no major ranked players in the area but they are a close knit group that care about the game. What they lack in skill and experience they make up in passion for the game.

South Louisiana, great place, my home state. They also have a great scene going with a good promoter. They also possess  a guy who has one of the most wicked push kicks ever. And the best food going. Jobs on the other hand, don't know.

Texas, my current state. The Austin area, cool place, a college town, Good job opps.. From national polls I have seen, one of the cities to move to in the US. Lower ranked players but again, guys that love the game.

Houston area, solid area. Lot's of skill and experience here with a good promoter. Players like Tracy McMillen, Chad Hansen, Scott King, and John Smith are in this area.

And as Ben said, the Dallas area is just crazy. Every night but Sunday there is a tourney. Sat. night there are three to choose from. What I like about this area is the diversity of players here with great skill to learn from. Ex.
Mike Archer, great brush series and good defensive five also.
David Radack, tic tac passer, also a great goalie.
Denis Ory, he is the one that Billy Pappas got the lane wall series from, if speed kills, he would be an assassin.
Frank Espinosa, wicked and unique brush series that is pure hell to block.
Brandon Moreland, top ranked player period.
Warren Vanlandingham, good five and wicked rollover.

We also have alot of good up and comers making waves

We have one the largest if not the largest state tourney and this year, Worlds is coming back home to Dallas. Always nice when you don't have to travel to the largest paid tourney in the world. Being centrally located is also nice when traveling to other tourneys.

Not saying we are the best, but for sure we are the most active scene in the country. And like the foos, the job scene is pretty diversified.

Just my two.....errr, three cents. 8)

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 01:16:54 AM »
Florida has a decent scene these days as well. We have 2 tournaments a week in Jacksonville, Orlando has 3 (one of which is run by a promaster). Tampa also has a tournament run by Tom Yore (top 10 promaster). Sunrise also has some foosers but Im not sure what the tournament scene is like these days.