Foosball.com Forums

Cherry Coin-Op Questions

Cherry Coin-Op Questions
« on: December 20, 2013, 07:28:58 PM »
So I've got a line on a Cherry Coin-Op, with some upgrades. I'm wondering if it's a good deal and seeking other input.

It's a used Cherry Coin-Op. Friend bought it from an organizer in Nebraska. It has some upgrades: new poly-grips, new-style guys all around. Still has white sidestrips. His bottom-line on it is $550, said he'd just keep it if he can't get that.

So a couple questions. First, the easy one: Is this a good deal? It's in the middle of the price range provided by BBTuna, and I figure those upgrades aren't free so it seems fair to me.

Now here's my second, and more important, question: I read that "everyone considers the Cherry to be the worst Tornado table". Why is this? What makes it different, and why are those differences so bad?

FWIW, I'm in an area with a league, but don't have any intentions of going to big tournaments outside of my area. Mostly just play for fun at home, and hope to at least hold my own in the local games.

Re: Cherry Coin-Op Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 09:08:19 PM »
New grips and new men are good upgrades. Clear side strips are a relatively cheap and worthwhile upgrade. If the table is in good shape (straight rods, cabinet in good shape, no warping, etc.) $550 is a good price.

I have a cherry coin-op and its a great table. Not sure why someone would say they thought it was the "worst Tornado... ever" and I don't think "everyone" thinks that. It's fast, but plays great. This sounds like a good table to me.

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 04:03:41 PM »
550 is a good deal.  Buy it.  That would be gone in two seconds in denver.  Cherry is what I just bought.  Great table.

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 11:22:12 AM »
I have a cherry coin-op and its a great table. Not sure why someone would say they thought it was the "worst Tornado... ever" and I don't think "everyone" thinks that. It's fast, but plays great. This sounds like a good table to me.

From what I gather, it's the hardest table to transition from to any other Tornado model. The slickness of the man/ball/surface combo is much greater than all other models

Personally my favourite model was the bronze marble, but any undamaged and unwarped Tornado coin-op with the upgrades at $550 is a good deal IMO.

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 04:51:33 PM »
550 is a good deal.  Buy it.  That would be gone in two seconds in denver.  Cherry is what I just bought.  Great table.

That is a great deal.  I have one and paid a lot more for it than that.  Enjoy, it is a great table :)

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 06:13:58 PM »
Thank you all for the advice. I'll be picking this up for sure. To be honest I probably would have bought it anyway because I am desperate for a table at this point.

Regarding the slick surface, that's actually a plus for me. I learned on a super slick table, and when transitioning to tornado I thought they were a bit sticky. So the Cherry sounds like a good match.

Thanks again