Foosball.com Forums

Collectables for Tornado fans

Offline wildcard

• Bing-Bing-BING-G-G-G-G! Ricochet Rabbit!
Re: Collectables for Tornado fans
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 03:48:30 PM »
I remember that glass-top table as if it was only yesterday. Launching a pull from the two-bar made a sizzling sound all the way down the table. Then the TS bluetops hit our game room, followed by the brown-top TS and then the Dynamo, until finally the tornado took over for good and intro'd the 3-man goalie. Damn those were the days!

Edit: Come to think of it, the glasstop I played on may have been an even earlier model, since it was already pretty beatup and the handles worn by the time I played on it in 78 or 79. The bluetop TS hit UMSL's "Fun Palace" by 1980 I believe.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 01:52:57 AM by wildcard »

Offline EDGEER

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 08:59:12 AM »
Did any of our members win any of this stuff?

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 04:34:33 AM »
When I listed the Tornado memorabilia on e-bay, I wasn't sure if there would be much interest. It was cool to see that others get into this stuff too. Check out the picture below of some Tornado men - from the 1970's, 80's and 90's. The design of the 90's man is still used today, but the plastics have changed. (Look how small the feet were in the 70's!)

As a promoter since the 70's, a table owner & maintenance man, you young guys just don't know how hard it was to take care of tables before Ed McCloud & his split bearing showed up. We used to have to take rods completely off the table just to clean bearings. To me, that brochure on the split bearing was awesome. Just like the one showing off Ed's first build. It was the only time Tornado made a model for just one year. You don't see stuff like this very often. I came across it while putting together a "Back In The Day" page for my web site. The page is still under construction, but coming soon at www.MobileFoos.com

Jay

Offline georgefoos

• Super Foos
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 10:38:25 AM »
I'm very interested in all the foosball history and tables, can anyone tell me where I can find the foosball table years made and history?

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 02:21:06 PM »
is the newer man on the left the only on ehtat uses the roll pins? the holes on the other two look larger?

Offline EDGEER

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 06:46:10 PM »
Man I don't remember those first two men.  They look like knock-offs.  I would have sworn that the 1983 man had vertical groves on the paddle face.  Are you sure those first two men are not after-market?  The white man is missing the pimples allong the edge and the corners are not square.  Check out the one on a trophey I once won below.

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 12:48:28 AM »
EDGEER:  I can understand the confusion. That wasn't a very good picture. Here's a more detailed shot and a couple of close-ups. The white man is from my 1979 glass-top purchased new from Tornado in '79.

chance37:  The man on the right is the only one that uses a roll pin. The other two use a hex head bolt & nut set (picture below). They rarely broke, but constantly had to be checked for tightness.

Offline EDGEER

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 02:14:26 AM »
Much better, theres those pimples!  How about the middle man.   Is it aftermarket?  I could be wrong but I just don't remember those at all?

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 02:38:48 AM »
No, it's an original Tornado man. It came from one of my '85 model tables. There's a picture of some of these men at Rodney's site: http://www.southernfoosball.com/images/old%20used%20parts.jpg If you look at the black man closest to you, you can see the same dimple pattern.

Offline papafoos

• Good luck reaching me IM, I usually keep them off.
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 10:38:03 AM »
Ed, I'm surprised that you, of all people, don't remember the middle man.  Must be old age or something.

When Uncle Ed was transitioning to the new style, that was probably the first one.  Later, the man was made with the hole in the foot (seen from the side view)

As for the older men, Tornado had several different colors, even some clear ones.  I have a picture of the first Tornado man which is made of wood.  I couldn't talk Bob Furr out of it.(or at least not yet)