Foosball.com Forums

Looking for a table.

Looking for a table.
« on: November 18, 2009, 11:08:38 AM »
Hello guys,

I recently started looking for a table but prices in my area seem to be pretty high. I live in San Diego and found this one on craigslist locally: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/tag/1465077443.html the price seems a bit high to me. From the research I was able to do online it seems to be an HM 2000. I went to see the table and it seems to be in ok shape. The biggest issue is that metal brackets were screwed onto the table top to hold a piece of wood on top of the table to cover the playing surface.

I've also found this coin-op model in Los Angeles: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/tag/1468702845.html this one also seems pricey to me since a used tournament table can be purchased from the factory for a couple hundred more.

Any thoughts? Should I be concerned about the screwed on brackets? I am by no means a pro. Haven't played in a couple of years and really just want a decent table to play with friends.

Thanks in advance,
Omar

Re: Looking for a table.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 11:17:48 AM »
BTW: I did read through the "What table should I buy" thread.

Really just wondering if you folks think the HM 2000 would be a complete waste of money in my case (not looking to win any tournaments). Just want a decent foosball table that will last.

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 12:54:28 PM »
Forgot to mention: the HM2000 is a 25th anniversary edition. Not sure what this entails??? I was not able to find out anything about a 25th anniversary edition online. I assume it would at least mean it was manufactured around 1998???

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 04:32:58 PM »
first on is a "No" for sure...second one has promise...if you read my thread on what table to buy, read the additional information on why a coin op on this thread

read my posts on this recent thread (bbtuna) and buy a used Tornado coin op

http://www.foosball.com/forum/index.php?topic=2928.0

900 is too much for the Grey Marble but $750 to $800 is okay if you can see it first and pick it up to save shipping....you can get a tournament used for $1150 or so but then you have shipping

be willing to walk away and then have the guts to negociate...you have nothing to lose...I help people with these all the time and I watch ALL sales on ebay and have for about 4 years now and Grey Marbles sell for $700-$750...people ask all kinds of crazy prices but their tables almost never sell 1 out of 30 maybe someone pays too much (any coin op) but it is really rare and it takes a dumb buyer to make it happen

the people who own them aren't happy about it, especially if they are tournament players, but it is what it is - tables are worth what people will actually pay

work on this one - start at $700 and tell him you know on good authority that is what they sell for - depending on how long they have been trying will depend on low they will go most likely...try your best, if it is great shape and you can afford it, be willing to go to $800 but don't move too fast

stay on good terms with them and if they won't do it, leave you name and number in case they change their mind and follow up in a few weeks

stay patient, your table is out there...if you are willing to pay $700 or more, expand your Craig's list search as far out as you can and wait...you will find what you want and you will never be unhappy you waited because you will have a table for a life time

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 04:52:18 PM »
Thanks bbtuna! Sounds like you don't think a non coin-op would be worth it under ANY circumstances. I really wasn't excited about the HM 2000 because of the in-home carpentry they did for the playing surface cover.

I did, however, find this one just now: http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/for/1443730762.html it doesn't look to be in very good shape in the pics. I think I see some rust/corrosion on the serial number label. The price seems too high to me. What do you think?

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 05:24:47 PM »
way way way too much...that is a Brwn Mrbl, 12 to 22 years old and should be seeling for around $300-$400 with no rust or other serious issues....keep looking

remember, make your search as wide as possible...be willing to drive a few hours

and no, i think anything less than a coin op is a waste of money

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 06:07:53 PM »
Found out a bit more about the Grey Marble. It is apparently owned by the Los Angeles Foosball Club: http://www.lafoosball.com/ looks like it's probably seen it's fair share of use. Should this be a detractor? Or, could this possibly be a plus, well taken care of???

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 07:17:13 PM »
well, its both good and bad....this means, as I suspected, it is owned by a tournament player or players...the bad is they think its worth more than it is...the good thing is, they should know every little thing about the table...you can ask them if the "heat-treated" rods are all Merkel rods...they will know what this mean (or should)...ask them to tell you every detail about the table they can and ask why they are getting rid of this one since they have 7

tell them you are interested but not anywhere near that price...they can contact me if they want and argue about the price but again, if they just put it up, they are less likely to want to dicker hoping they will get a bite on $900 ... be patient and keep looking while you work on the details...things could look a lot different weeks from now if they don't get any interest (do you know how long they have been trying to sell it?)

is the table some place you can get to easy and see exactly what they are selling?  if so, go with a digital camera and takes lots of pictures

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 07:59:09 PM »
I'm going to try and arrange to see the Gray Marble this weekend. It should only be a couple of hours away. The Craigslist ad was posted two days ago so it seems their attempt at a sale just began. I'll definitely take my camera along. Thanks for the help bbtuna.

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 03:31:39 PM »
see my PM to you

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 11:39:19 PM »
Man here is a great deal on a Grey Marble if you are in the NJ area...

http://cgi.ebay.com/TORNADO-FOOSBALL-TABLE-COIN-OPERATED-FOOSBALL-TABLE_W0QQitemZ180450586960QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2a03b17150

Reasonable Buy It Now price, and plus you can use MicroSoft Bing! cashback and Mr. Rebates and get eBay bucks back for a potential 15% back...plus any cashback offers that your credit card offers.  See this link:

http://www.gotapex.com/got-deals/177770-bing-com-now-15-cash-back-at-ebay-18-total-w-mrrebates-com-double-dip.html

Man I hope this table goes to a good home...looks mint from the pics...