Foosball.com Forums

Ball on edge of goal

Ball on edge of goal
« on: July 06, 2005, 02:10:26 PM »
Scenario:  The ball is stopped on the edge of the goal and is unable to be moved without making it fall in.

Question 1:  If I call a time out, will the goal count if, while attempting to put the ball back into play, it falls in?  The rules (USTSA) say that the ball must hit two men an stop for one second before it is considered in play AND that a ball may not be legally scored if it is not in play. 

Question 2:  If the goal does not count, where, then, does the the ball go back into play?

Offline SumnerH

• No spinning, have fun!
Re: Ball on edge of goal
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 03:18:29 PM »
Scenario:  The ball is stopped on the edge of the goal and is unable to be moved without making it fall in.

Question 1:  If I call a time out, will the goal count if, while attempting to put the ball back into play, it falls in?  The rules (USTSA) say that the ball must hit two men an stop for one second before it is considered in play AND that a ball may not be legally scored if it is not in play. 

Question 2:  If the goal does not count, where, then, does the the ball go back into play?

The goal does count: if you fail to time it in correctly, the opponent has the  option of playing the ball from it's current location (which is in your goal for the point).

The head officials have confirmed this on numerous occasions.

The best thing to do is to NOT call timeout, wait for time to expire, and then the ball goes to the opponent for the serve.

Alternatively, if you have soft hands it is possible to push the ball back very gently to where it's out of reach of the goalie but doesn't fall in the goal.  This is risky, but if you manage it then you keep the ball (put into play from goal).

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 02:48:00 PM »
Exactly correct,

Even worse on the time out thing, once you call timeout you are really on a doomed path.
1.  You must touch the ball with 2 players, so even if the ball moves out of your reach, you have to put the ball back to the spot it was at, which is in your reach, and try it again.
2.  Your only option is to knock it in the goal.
3.  If you ever get into this spot you should not call time out and simply let time run out as was said above.

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 04:15:12 PM »
Alternatively, if you have soft hands it is possible to push the ball back very gently to where it's out of reach of the goalie but doesn't fall in the goal.  This is risky, but if you manage it then you keep the ball (put into play from goal).

I've had this happen to me a couple of times and successfully nudged the ball out of reach yet not far enough to fall into my own goal on a tornado t3000. However, you should know rule 8.4 in the ITSF rule book, "A ball that is intentionally made dead shall be awarded to the opposing team for a serve.
(Example: pushing the ball from the bottom until out of reach)"

In other words you have to manage to nudge the ball until it's out of reach from the TOP of the ball. You can not, push the ball from underneath the ball. This will result in you getting the ball at your goalies 2bar. The safer bet is to not do anything and let the 15 second time run out, then the ball goes to your opponents 5-bar.