Foosball.com Forums

What's your Greatest foosball Moment!!! Seeing or Playing!!!

Offline foosinaround69

• No garder snakeshot here, just the AnacondaBackpin
What's your Greatest foosball Moment!!! Seeing or Playing!!!
« on: February 26, 2008, 01:04:47 PM »
I like reading things here about how people used to play and what they have done in their career..so share with us your greatest moment in foosball!!!Or maybe a time in which sticks out in your mind that you'd think we'd like to hear!!!! :)             Keep foosinaround!!! :D

Re: What's your Greatest foosball Moment!!! Seeing or Playing!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 01:25:12 PM »
Top 3 is easy for me...

1) Winning the 2004 SP Doubles title with my son.
2) Watching and experiencing the amazing atmosphere of the USA vs France match at the World Cup.
3) Watching Dave G. and T-Mac with OD in '06.

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 04:56:45 PM »
i am goin to have to say 3 times as well.. my first time ever goin to a tourney and see how much goes into the game.. it was like someone had opened my eyes.. really cool experience.. Second time was for me taking a PM to 3 games in singles.. I am very much so a rookie and take that with pride so i was expected to get blown out of the water..and the 3rd. is pretty much every time it is meatball and 4 to 4..thats always really exciting to watch..
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 06:38:25 PM by nogravity »

Offline Steve

• Showdown
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 06:53:36 PM »
#1 winning the $10,000 Buffalo open / novice doubles.......
#2 winning dyp at super doubles minn. beat Todd lafrado in the finales
#3 getting beat bad by Wizzwel& Doug F  it was great

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 07:09:14 PM »
1981, after playing with the Portland crowd enough to finally get a good 5 man going so I could bring my shots into play. I got into a match with this guy Lenny and his partner. Lenny had my respect more than any player I had met to date, a real thinking foosball wizard. I got hot and got them in trouble so Lenny goes to play goalie. Knowing this guy had seen every shot that came down the pike I went WAY back to a shot we did on the first tables I played on(Garlando?) It was a deceptive shot as you pushed it away lazily with the far man and went over and around the ball so that it was infront of the bar and then picked it up with a huge pull shot that went to the extremes of where the shot could go, we used to call it the "Hook". It went so hard and fast that it compressed the rubber bumper on it's completion. Lenny just leaned forward and held his head. I had watched him give Dan Kiser all he could handle, now he gave me an acknowledgement of a good winning shot. 
Another time I got to playing this guy who had been the Oregon State Champion a few years earlier. I was working on a back pin series where I was mixing in sidekicks, both push and pull. It required learning a different timing to the shot but I got onto it while playing him and just started kicking his butt. About the time he had had enough this guy walks in and yells out, "Me and Ben will play anyone for $10 ball!" And Ben goes,"No no no!" That was sweet!
I remember being in a bar where I didn't know anyone but they played good foos. Wanting to play I put up my quarters even though I didn't have a partner. Not finding anyone for a partner  when my turn came up they asked where my partner was and I said I would play them alone. They said,"You're not THAT good" even though they had never seen me play. I always felt that if I could beat the weakest man on a team I could beat a doubles team alone but these guys were pretty good. But that,"You're not THAT good" pissed me off and they didn't challenge back after I kicked their ass.

Offline crazy

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 08:57:12 AM »
1) 2002 National's in Atlanta; my first tournament larger than the local DYP's.  In No-Pro DYP there were 60-teams and I didn't knew nothing about anbody.  My partner is an outstanding and well-known player from Ohio - but obviously not a pro.  We lost the first game of each match - usually we got drilled - mostly because it took me that long to figure out the other guys shot selection, tells, etc.  Even without putting us in the hole to start each match I was so nervous.  On the other hand, it is amazing how well we/you/I can execute precise shots and passes while under this pressure - shivers down my backbone, I got shakes in my knee bone...shakin' all over.

After a day, a night and the next day (you know how little respect DYP's get) we were on top of the winner's bracket about to play a team made of players any touring player would know.  They destroyed us in two straight games, bringing us down to their level: one loss.

Within minutes we had started the final match and, during the first game, nothing changed as the forward continued to slam is snake shots against the back of the goal.  But, in the second game I began to get his number and in the third was able keep my partner in it ong enough to pull out the win.  It still makes me grin.

2) Opening round of expert singles at KY State.  It was already a couple of days into the tournament and I had been playing rookie events, DYP's etc. all day, everyday.  My first oponent was a well-know and highly accomplished female pro from north of the border - and recently arrived from the airport.  I knew I needed every atvantage and felt no sympathy because she wasn't warmed-up, yet.  In fact, to calm myself, I spent the 5-minutes before the match lying on the floor, with my eyes closed, relaxing my body, clearing my mind and focusing on my game.

I started like gangbusters, making precise and accuract passes, working her defense with my pull-shot selection and picking holes from the 2-bar.  The first game was over before I knew it.  In the second, she found her stride and, although I continued to play well, she had me five to three. 

Since my opponent was known, we were playing in front of the bleachers.  My friends were all there and other people were watching because you don't get to watch pro's very often.  This game was a real battle.  I don't remember all the shots (it amazes me how many players can do that - me, never) but I do remember hitting a second rolling-pull to the long hole, from the back.  And, I remember the last shot of the game - possibly the only point that wasn't cleanly dropped.  With one game apiece and a four - four score in the third, I attempted a long, sqaure pull against her cross-over defense.  She blocked it with one, then a second, man before it bounced off the wall and into her goal.  To-date - my most memorable singles match. 

Offline foosinaround69

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 12:27:03 AM »
I remember going to my first big tourny at nationals I think...I played in a dyp and drew some guy who barley played at the time...Neither had I really for that matter...We played against a team that had two guys who were national champs the year before...both pros...one in singles and one a dbls champ...anyway We were nobodys really and we got a game from them and now it's nut ball and the forward on the other side misses his shot. The ball flys around the table and I get it and call time out. Now I had never played in abig tourny like this and I was very nervous to say the least. So as I get up to the table I hear one of the opponents say "Let's switch, He can't shoot that on me" At that time I shot a wicked pull kick(still have it..lol) I set it up and shoot it so fast that the guy who said I wouldn't be able to shoot it on him didn't even react until it was too late >:( He was THE goalie that had went up front, cause the other guy couldn't stop the beginners pullkick.LOL :D That stands out cause we really, in other peoples mind, had no chance winning that match and to top it off they were out!!!!

Just one of my favorite moments in foosball  :D

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 09:13:47 AM »
Nice F69!

Offline foosinaround69

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 01:12:04 PM »
Thanks OM...I liked yours as well...Dan Kaiser was the man at the time...I love it when the underdog wins and makes a statement :D  A few years ago I beat a PM and a pro and that felt good too cause I don't get to go to these tournys like I'd like and I don't play as much as alot of these guys do..So to go in and beat someone who is a pro-master makes you feel good..I know I have the ability to play at the top level, but if you don't play with those guys or often enough you can't expect to play at their level...I'd love to believe me, but the cost factor kinda hinders it ..ya know?? I wish we could get some major sponsers involved. Hell, I'd wear a Nike or Cocoa-Cola shirt or hat...lol...you?
Maybe I should take up golf!!!!..lol

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 08:21:17 AM »
When I gave up foosball in the 80's I sold my table and bought a compound bow. As the obsessive person that I am I worked at archery until I started winning big tournaments. I then got sponsors but found that it wasn't my cup of tea. I don't like answering to anyone and like the freedom to make choices as I see fit. I might buy a shirt or something but that's about it. These days I don't kid myself about thinking I'm going all out and being a pro on the circuit. If I can run into one now and then, great! I'd like to play a big tournament if it is close, maybe Seattle next year.

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 10:28:36 AM »
my greatest moment (other than the winning streaks) was when I played another great player.  the ball was between 5 men row, we both hit it and the ball DISAPPEARED!!!.  it did not fly out, we paused to look for the ball.................  it got wedged BACK INTO the serving hole.  weirdest thing ever....

Offline foosinaround69

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 09:43:52 PM »
 :) Cool!!!!! What's the odds of that???

Offline Steve

• Showdown
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 08:02:08 PM »
I remember the playboy towers in chicago I wish I would have got one of those trophys.