Foosball.com Forums

pull shot question

pull shot question
« on: March 24, 2008, 03:46:14 PM »
Do anyone have suggestions on how to shoot a pull shot on a race defense where the goalie set up near post and the three rod man is set up just to the inside of that? The two men cover most of the ways to the big dot.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 04:03:39 PM by clhereistian »

Offline Will17

Re: pull shot question
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 04:58:45 PM »
There is a ton of info related to this in the general chat section under the title "toss speed on pull shot" in which a lot of members put tons of effort into, so I suggest reading up on it there - I got good tips from that page a couple months ago and it has already helped my pull shot. It is under the 3rd page of topics right now...

Another thing that could really help would be to check out a video like this one and other clips from that youtube user.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzN-GOqM_RI&feature=related

they are broken down into super slow motion so you can see the mechanics of the shot. Most people spray their pull shot(more than a 90 degree angle) so that if the defense is set up that way(i think its called reverse defense) the closest man on the two bar can usually block the shot. set up your shot starting all the way to the far side, like in the video above and pull all the way across and cut the shot at 90 degrees, then work on getting your speed up. At that point if someone is racing you they will probably leave either the strait shot open so you don't have to pull or barely have to pull, or they will leave another hole open down the middle.

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 05:18:42 PM »
Try this.

Shoot a couple 7 stroke middles, one at the second dot, one at the big dot. Next, without any movement, shoot a high lift straight, that is, in the pull set, lift the guy basically parallel to the playing surface and then "pop" the straight. Regardless whether or not you are successful, you have set the trap to enable you to beat the race d. When someone is racing you, what they do is stack their guys close together to prevent splits, try to match your speed, and then read your release point.

Now comes the deception part. You will now change from the 7 stroke to the spray stroke. Now go to a previous release point and spray the ball around the guy. A good spray will beat any stacked race because all you have to do is beat the two rod guy no matter where it is. It works because the release point and the ending point are different.

For future reference, descriptions of d. Standard, the two rod is the first man in the d and the three rod is to the right of that. Reverse, the three rod man is the first in the d and the two rod man is to the right of that.

The other option because it sounds like you are describing a reverse, is to learn to hit a spray angle between the guys.

Just remember, regardless of the position of the men, if they are stacked, all you have to do is beat the two rod man and spray the rest of the way.

Offline grandmaster

• Any table, any time.
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 05:48:32 PM »
There are three steps before you execute any shot, including the pullshot around a reverse or open defense. #1- Get the ball. #2- Set the ball. #3- Make a good approach. The key is to make a good approach and to have the foot of the man touch the side of the ball. There must be no gap between the foot and the ball. Now let your mind put it in. Once you are familiar with the stroke, you can close your eyes and blast it. If they are truly "racing" you they have no chance of catching up since the shot is over before the brain transmits the signal to the muscles to move. If they are not "racing" which is often the case you will know immediately if they block the eyes closed long. In my experience there are only two places to shoot - at the hole or at the men. Have you tried shooting at the men?  GM

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 06:18:46 PM »
gitablock, I think you are right,  the spray is the answer. I can do the spray fine when they use the standard defense. The reverse defense trew me for a little bit of a loop because I have to spray around the three-rod man when he is right in front of me.

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 08:31:57 PM »
When I shoot the pull I like to go dead calm on the set-up. If you are relaxed and calm the shot will explode without any telegraphing. Like Grandmaster says, there's no racing that. It's over before they know it has started.

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 10:33:09 AM »
the reverse defense is VERY susceptible to the inside game of a pull and if they are not, then they are not blocking long...ice (gigablok) has the right idea...I would add though, shoot inside to keep the men in or to hesitate which is what Ice is telling you, but also, shoot inside to score

the high backswing straight and the slicing spray 2 to 2.5 hole will drive that defense crazy...they can't block the spray with the 2 rod without bringing it so far in it makes any decently shot long an easy shot and almost know one will ever bring there two rod in that far when set up in a "reverse" defense

so, this means, the goalie man (G2) has to block the perfect straight or get killed on the 2 to 2.5 hole spray/slice...it is basically a one on one against the goalie...some people do this slice as an off speed thing and go slow calling it a dink and there is a place for that but I think you should do it most of the time as a full speed shot...the dink gives them time to catch up to the shot (the slice should have a lot of angle)

these two shots alone will usually make people abandon the "reverse" defense but if they are stubborn and stay in it, it won't take more than a couple of shots before you have a long big enough to drive a slow mack truck through....I have watched a lot of video and have never seen a pro-master employ a standard defense against a pro-master pull...they will sometimes use switching and/or cross-over defenses moving in and out of "standard and reverse" but no one uses the "reverse" alone

i am not sure the reason but I think it is a combination of what Ice wrote and what I wrote...I think they feel vulnerable...now, in the 70's, I saw a lot of this defense used against pulls daring people to shoot well inside...some people don't shoot the short game on a pull well so it can mess them up but for a complete pull shooter, in this day and age, you should make short work (pun intended) of this defense

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 11:16:13 PM »
As long as you can shoot a blazing pull shot you never need to shoot it.  Just set up the pull shot with a good approach and then shoot the straight.  If you can shoot it accurately it will go in even if they barely move an eighth of an inch.  Sometimes it goes in even if they don't jump at all.  Just pound it like a sludge hammer and then if it doesn't go in or bounce in, catch the rebound. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 11:20:22 PM by invisiblesmoke »