Foosball.com Forums

Warrior, Best Ball in the Foosball World!?

Re: Warrior, Best Ball in the Foosball World!?
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2008, 08:19:10 PM »
only a handful of people on here would have played on all of these, ICE, Brad, Alan, and ?

Jupiter sure does have a ton of control, see the video below...also, a stopped ball pass i okay...gosh, I am glad we don't have that rule

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bed9y7wL8sc

I play sometimes on the Jupiter and it is really sticky, especially when it's a dirty ball (most of the time it is) you have to adjust your shot completely and about that rule BB you're wright.....It really sucks!!!
It's even so sticky that a pull shot on the table is almost impossible because the ball get stuck most of the time. Now I think about it, I give control 90-95 and a lot is because of the ball ( probably 70% of the control that you have)

« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2008, 04:36:18 PM »
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 08:20:26 AM by Snake Shot Blows »

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2008, 08:35:17 PM »
Derailing the thread was not my intention, but I'm glad it sparked what seems to be a good conversation/debate.

No shame there, Nate!  I think everyone realizes that ones's balls, and the control of them, are of vital importance in both practice and competitive play.   They're probably the most immediate game-altering feature on any table used!

Controlling one's balls is probably of the ultimate importance or the single most major factor in playability!  I have never heard of any player that didn't have complete control of his balls that eventually had any great success.

So this discussion on controlling one's balls is quite relevant.  Like life, like pinball, like a lot of things, in foosball ... you either score points, or you lose your balls!

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2008, 12:16:24 AM »
Who is Snake shot blows?

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2008, 12:44:39 AM »
Who is Snake shot blows?

Alan,

I'm not sure if SSBlows is a Tornado purist, or he/she is just trying to bait Bonzini players into a flamewar.  Obviously continental, perhaps an old school diehard.

I'm pretty sure he/she knows that Bonzini's are more expensive than the premium Tornados, so it must be all flamebait.  Saw the same stuff that Old Meister and BBTuna had to deal with on other threads.

Or he/she could be just pulling you and other Bonzini players' chains in low humor.  Trying to get a rise from y'all.  That swipe against Bruce, "super novice Narcodi", with the obvious misspelling of Nardoci DID KNOCK ME OFF MY EASYCHAIR, rolling till I hit the fridge, however, I will have to admit.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 12:47:22 AM by foozkillah »

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2008, 01:23:36 AM »
I'm really out of the loop when it comes to forum names.
Not too many Bonzini players, or Bonzini U.S.A. players get into the flaming game.
Everyone has an opinion and I pretty much respect that.
I've just return from vacation and starting to get caught up answering table order and tournament information.
You know, our approach to organized foosball tournament events is a little different. I definately have no goals of making it the most popular table in the U.S. We have a niche market with a great player base that enjoying coming together every few months and compete.

Foozkillah, have we ever met?

Alan

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2008, 03:02:54 AM »
....Foozkillah, have we ever met?
Alan

I'm Hawaiian' Flyin' Brian, one of the South Florida players.
Dunno if you've been to as many Tornado events as Bruce, but, no I don't think we ever met and talked, except on line, perhaps.
Charles Mac and Qbert or Randy Hicok can certainly describe me.  And Deron Bone, too.

Wish we had more of a Bonzini presence in South Florida, but Jacksonville is the closest, I believe.  I played lots of Leonhard and Kicker in the Low Countries in Junior high, so I am completely familiar with oldschool Euro play.  And I'm one of those who actually would rather that the Tornado, Bonzini, Leonhard or Lehmacher tables to look even more like toys, like those fancy Wurlitzer jukeboxes, real showpieces.   Attracts the newbies and kids better, and you can have a collectible piece of art, to boot.  And I still have my Kicker tournament handles somewhere around here or in my storage unit.

I ran the weekly Lost Weekends $100 guaranteed no entry-fee tournaments & regular $500 or better no-entry fee events for almost 5 years, '98 to '02 in West Palm Beach, and further south in South Beach, Miami.  My sponsors were Coors Silver Bullet, Newcastle United (owner of the Premier league team AND the no. 1 ale in the world by volume), Closer Magazine, and Grolsch Lager.  Tornado's and Striker's were what was available, of course, but Rene Pierre's and Euro tables would have done fabulously, with the Latin players' familiarity with them.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 03:04:38 AM by foozkillah »

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2008, 04:04:44 AM »
I just got back from Kauai this past Friday.
I wish I could do more events in Florida. There is definately some interest.
I was in Fernandina Beach early this year and thought that would be a great tournament travel spot for our Bonzini followers.
Maybe someday.

The Bonzini retails for $2395.00 but if the Euro and USD were equal we could sell them for around $1800.00. We have been lucky to survive for the past 10 years with fuel charges and Euro differiential.

Does Lloyd Hilbrun or Kenny Bixgoren still play? They came to a couple of events in Orange Park a few years back. Really super guys fron South Florida along with Jim Raymond out of Orlando.

Hopefully I'll be able to get out next year to some Tornado events.
Catch you on down the road.

AC

I'll probably see Randy in a few weeks in Wilmington.

« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2008, 11:32:23 AM »
Any of these players still around ?
* Mike Cody
* Tom May
* Gary Gold

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2008, 06:19:54 PM »
I played on a Bonzini table once in the 70's. I remember the cork ball. At first it was,"You got to be kidding me!" but then I realized how much trickery and "stuff" could be used on a table like that. It was a real kick to play. Someone who was a Tornado purist wouldn't stand much of a chance on a Bonzini against someone who was an accomplished Bonzini player. Of course the same could be true the other way around. Which leads us to the truth, each table has it's own play. I like the middle, BRING BACK TOURNAMENT SOCCER!

Offline EDGEER

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2008, 11:59:32 PM »
Tuna.  Your scale has a flaw.  For every table there are standards at which everyone is measured by.  A pro will be 90% on their home table no matter what it is.  Think about it, how many passes does Spree miss?  Our have you ever witnessed Archer catching a loose ball?  Tornado has as much or more control than any of the others.  You just have to be blessed with the talent to use it.

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2008, 12:37:45 PM »
Ed,

the scale is considering all levels of players and any comparrisons otherwise would assume "all things being equal"

Fred is sick on Tornado and shows you what is possible but he is even more sick on the other tables (hard to believer but all a person needs to do is watch a little video of him on Jupiter or Bonzini and you can see that he actually has more control on those tables)

besides you are just talking about what is ultimately "possible" on a table but I would hardly use Tony or Fred or Billy for that matter as examples because to get to that level means you are one of the top 2-3 best ball control players in the WORLD and maybe of ALL TIME...literally 99% of the people will never reach that level

also, my scale was based on "stickiness" and there can be no doubt in anyone's mind, even a very casual player, that Bonzini with cork balls has a TON more "stickiness" (control if you will) than does Tornado with its current red ball (being changed as we speak)

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2008, 08:21:09 PM »
I just got back from Kauai this past Friday.

Ohhh the withdrawal pain!!! :D  I should know, its my hometown.
Did you go check out the cliffs & rocks and our queen's place at the REAL NORTH SHORE of HAWAII? Yeah, but my clan has two houses there... hehehehehehe.  8)

I wish I could do more events in Florida. There is definately some interest.
I was in Fernandina Beach early this year and thought that would be a great tournament travel spot for our Bonzini followers.
Maybe someday.
The Bonzini retails for $2395.00 but if the Euro and USD were equal we could sell them for around $1800.00. We have been lucky to survive for the past 10 years with fuel charges and Euro differiential.

That's perfectly in keeping with your ultimate goals NOT being the dominant table in North America, but a strong, viable, and dedicated group.   Exchange or "vig" rates are cyclical and should change.  Also, all these "sticky" ball control changes for both Tornado and Warrior should make even more players open-minded to zee Fronch style of zee pleyy.   :-\

Does Lloyd Hilbrun or Kenny Bixgoren still play? They came to a couple of events in Orange Park a few years back. Really super guys fron South Florida along with Jim Raymond out of Orlando.
Hopefully I'll be able to get out next year to some Tornado events.
Catch you on down the road.   AC

Atty Lloyd Heilbrunn, started fading from the local South Florida picture after 2003.  He showed up occasionally, but it's been sporadic.  As the tournament venues migrated south the past 4-5 years (his being from Northern Palm Beach County) his presence has waned.  He might make as comeback as there are now four venues again, including Central Palm Beach County, in West Palm Beach.

Kenny Bixgorin, super goalie Rookie worlds titlist (9x ?) with Shane Ledford, had a bad Achilles Tendon problem and although he dragged it out in much pain up till about spring of 07, had to quit, at least until his foot gets much better.  He might come back one of these days, of course.

I'll probably see Randy in a few weeks in Wilmington. 

Tell Randy, I hatehatehatehatehatehate his hopping quickset snakes from either side of the big dot.  But I'll get him!  I asked Deron how to stop that ****** !  Over a year past, but I remember having to play him after having to lose to dingdong Berndt from MaryIsAHoLand after waking up .... That hurt.  He still cracked me up, though...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 08:37:06 PM by foozkillah »

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2008, 08:29:27 PM »
Any of these players still around ?
* Mike Cody
* Tom May
* Gary Gold

WG,
Pro Master Mike Cody spends most of the year touring with his twin sons, Dalton & Dakota, on the BMX tour.  They are #3/#4 in their southern league, and potential star rookies for the X Games, etc, next year.  The months they're not on tour, Mike helps manage the Brass Ring Pub West, in Royal Palm Beach.  He also works with his neighbor doing master woodwork, which has become his interest.

Pro Master Tommy May moved to Orlando several years ago and now plays at Jim Raymund's weekly locals, at least since last I saw him several months ago.  We remember him and his great late brother, Butch, of course, from the Whirly Ball days of foos in the late 80's.

Pro Gary Gold was going regularly from also northern Palm Beach County down to Boca Raton once a month for the BYP's, with regular partner Dave Abrams, at least until about 3 months ago, but has stopped going to the tourneys for a while now.

So how do you know these guyzzz, Wounded G?

« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2008, 09:36:43 AM »
Foozkillah,
I used to play Foos with these guys in the 80's  also with Butch (RIP).   I lived in West Palm.  Also used to go to the Tampa tournaments run by Ron Craig   ( I think he was partners with Jeep promoting  Pop-A-Shot or some other coin op deal?)  the Whirly Ball days were cool.  I'm not in FLorida anymore. Moved to CA.
I haven't seen Dave Abrams in many many years... didn't know he still played.  The last time I saw Tom May was at Wolds in Dallas 1990 or 1991
Who are you ( foozkillah) ?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 09:40:22 AM by Wounded Goose »