Foosball.com Forums

Buying a table from an arcade

Buying a table from an arcade
« on: January 22, 2006, 03:28:00 AM »
I am thinking about approaching my local arcade owner to see if he is willing to sell his torando table.  The model he has is the type with the brown marble on the side.  the table looks pretty beat and need some work. 

would offering him $200 - $300 be too low?  I figure the owner would take into account the depreciation left on the table as well as how much he pulls in weekly on this table.  what would be a good figure?  not sure if this helps but the table is located off to the side along with a lot of the older games

also, any tips on how to best approach the owner?  I thought about saying how this will free him up with some $ (not that there will be that much) as well as space for other items. 

thanks in advance

Richard

Re: Buying a table from an arcade
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 04:26:39 PM »
Hey Richard...

Older tornado coin ops are a great buy if you can get them.

If you find one where...
... the the cabinet is solid
... the surface is "level" and not warped
... the sidewalls and endwalls are straight
... most of the rods are straight and not rusted/pitted "outside" of the bumpers

$200 would be a STEAL... $400-$600 would be a decent price too.

You can slowly bring a solid/level/straight tornado back to life.. and almost good as new!

... Rods are a bit scary at $35ea...
... Bearing halves at $1.49 per half make HUGE difference if the current ones have had their slick smooth surface worn off, scratched or gouged and gunked up....  a few of these on your shooting rods or practice side can get straight smooth rods working like new!
... Bumpes aren't bad at $2.... Men at $4.50 can sneak up on you quick though.

Here's a link to more parts and prices... http://store.yahoo.com/foosdirect-store/tornado.html

Good luck!  Jim... jim@foosball.com

(hmm... is the table on coin op play?  does anyone play it anymore?... if they don't go for the "sale" and you hang out at this place... e-mail for some other options to get you foosing on an improved table perhaps!)

« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 11:18:44 PM by JimWaterman »

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 01:20:19 AM »
Hi Jim

thanks for your reply.  I will check it out with the owner.  i will update you if i am able to talk him into the selling at a good price.

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 01:19:01 AM »
here is an update.  talked with the arcade mgr and he told me that he makes about $200  a month on the table.  since they own the table, they don't have to do the 50/50 split.  they can make $2400 a year doing nothing.  amazing business.  so, they are not interested in sell.  i won't either if i were them.  oh well, i will keep looking.

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 02:15:00 PM »
Better than buying it!!!!!

Offer your services to this guy!   They are obviously happy with the money.. and the MONEY could be BETTER for them if they table was maintained properly!!!

If you are up for a challenge.... offer them some services to help them improve their foos revenue!

Tell 'em you are developing a promotional plan with foosball.com.   Tell 'em you want to "adopt" his location and run organized foosball promotions.   In order to do so.. you'll need to get the table "up to par".   

- you can see if they'll bite with a $20 to $40 a month table cleaning/maintenance service....
- that is a $20 to $40 LABOR service... with them having to pay additional for parts.
- you can bill them parts are our "retail price"...  http://store.yahoo.com/foosdirect-store/tornado.html
- as a promoter, we can set you up with a discount on items you buy from us as well

- just cleaning the table and lubricating the rods does a lot to help...
- add to that a ball rotation schedule - cleaning and reconditioning the balls and rotating out sets of balls helps a lot...

- doing a weekly "foos night" - or "foos happy hour"... perhaps with the table on free play... or with the location puting up a small prize for best fooser of the night could help you promote foos and help create a win/win with the location.

thoughts?  if this interests you... post again.. or contact us for more ideas.

JimW  jim@foosball.com