Foosball.com Forums

pull shot help

pull shot help
« on: December 02, 2005, 05:13:29 AM »
Hi does someone know how to explain how to shoot the pull shot and the best way to hold the handle?When i try to shoot it it seems like it goes in the goal on a angle?

Offline SumnerH

• No spinning, have fun!
Re: pull shot help
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 12:33:40 PM »
Hi does someone know how to explain how to shoot the pull shot and the best way to hold the handle?When i try to shoot it it seems like it goes in the goal on a angle?

I'm going to assume that the angle is toward you (in the direction of the pull).  This is called a "spray" shot, when you basically pull through the ball as you're hitting it.  It can get out to the corner very fast (faster than a square shot) but it can't get around the 2-rod very well.

To eliminate spray, you need to add a recoil to your shot.  What this means is that you pull the rod and ball toward you, but then when you're hitting the ball you are pushing the rod away from you so that the rod ends up where it started (or near there) at the end of the shot.  For recoil to be effective, it's very important for the ball to be behind the rod (but in front of where you can pin it) when you hit the ball.

When shot correctly, the pull will feel almost like you're cracking a whip, with a long pull followed by a hard recoil.

You can even go beyond square and cut the ball back with sufficient recoil.  Indeed, if you pull the opposing 2-rod all the way toward you, it's possible to pull the ball around the far man on the 2-bar and shoot it into the goal (this is called "dead-man" or "dead-bar" since that man has no more room to move over on defense and so is effectively dead on defense).

A lot of pull shooters get obsessed with shooting deadbar shots and become very easy to block; it's a lot more important to have a reasonable long (say, an inch off of deadbar) and to be able to shoot the square splits and spray split/long shots and read the defense.

As far as where to hold the handle, that basically depends on what style of shot you're shooting.  Choking up on it gives more control, holding nearer the end gives more power.  You should be using a closed-handed grip.

As far as where to stand, pull the rod all the way toward you and find a comfortable stance.  Stay there when you set the ball up in pull position.  That way you're always shooting into a comfortable stance instead of away from it.

As I said, it's important to make contact with the ball behind the rod.  You can either set the ball up behind the rod and pull straight sideways, or set it up below the rod and pull it slightly back during the shot.  The former is easier but both work.