Foosball.com Forums

2009 Bonzini U.S.A. Foosball Tour Schedule

2009 Bonzini U.S.A. Foosball Tour Schedule
« on: November 30, 2008, 11:20:03 AM »
This is what we have so far and about all I'll be able to do in 2009.
I still have a few more foos projects to work on, but make your plans to attend.

There is an event in Columbia, SC January 24th at Carolina Ribs and Wings. From all indications this may be the biggest 1 day tournament we've ever assited with (estimated at 50 players so far). The event is being held by the SC Foosball Association. Check them out at www.scfoosball.com.

As in past years, we are running non-profit foosball events. Once expenses have been covered through sponsorships and entry fees, then 100% of the revenue goes to the charity of each designated event. I would like to make it clear. we do not make a living by running tournaments. Bonzini U.S.A. is a player owned and operated business providing promotional events that are intertaining , competitive, and rewarding to the local community.

2009 Bonzini™ U.S.A. Foosball Tour

February 6th, & 7th, 2009
Crystal Coast Foosball Challenge
$1000.00 in Cash, Prizes and Trophies
The Beach Tavern, Atlantic Beach, NC
Host:  Bonzini U.S.A. Foosball Association
Tournament Organizers: Alan Cribbs
Designated Charity:  Carteret County Domestic Violence Program

March 20th, 21st and 22nd, 2009
The “Jimmy V” North Carolina Foosball Open
$2000.00 in Cash, Prizes and Trophies
Carolina Ale House, Alexander Place
7981 Skyland Ridge, Raleigh, NC
Host: Powerkick Team of Raleigh
Tournament Organizers: Powerkick Team and Alan Cribbs
Designated Charity: The V Foundation

May 1st and 2nd, 2009
The South Carolina Foosball State Championships
(Tournament details forthcoming)

May 21st – 24th 2009
2009 Bonzini Worlds Championships
Eaubonne, France

July 17th, 18th and 19th, 2009
26th Annual VA State Foosball Championships & Thunder in the Mtn. Foosball Spectacular
$2000.00 in Cash, Prizes and Trophies
Byer’s Street Bistro, Staunton, VA
Host: Shenandoah Valley Foosball Association
Tournament Organizers: Byer’s Street Bistro and Alan Cribbs
Designated Charity: HOSPICE of Shenandoah

October 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, 2009
The 35th Annual North Carolina State Foosball Championships
$2500.000 in Cash, Prizes and Trophies
Breaktime Billiards, Wilmington, NC
Host: Cape Fear Hurricanes
Tournament Organizers: Breaktime Billiards and Alan Cribbs
Designated Charity: Brigade Boys and Girls Club

Later AC

Ben,
If you read this please add it to the 2009 Foosball Schedule listing.
Thanks

Re: 2009 Bonzini U.S.A. Foosball Tour Schedule
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 04:19:58 PM »
I think it would be a real kick to have a tournament in Portland OR where Bonzini tables were used. What a curve that would be for the Tornado diehards. ;)

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 05:29:46 PM »
I only know of 2 Bonzini tables in Oregon at this point.
They are both on the NIKE Business Campus from what I've been told by my Nike Reps.
Who knows, maybe someone in Oregon may start up a group like Todd in Toronto, Tyler in Jacksonville, FL, Dave Pelny in Staunton, VA, or Ozstar in LaJolla.
It sure will not be for the money if the players take hold of it. But it will remind them why they first started playing foos-for the fun of it. :)

Anythings possible.
I've done an event in Honolulu and in D.C.

Later

AC

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 05:46:15 PM »
I played on a Bonzini some 30? years ago. I remember the cork balls and thinking,"you got to be kidding me!" but then remembering how much fun and different the game was. I can see why Alan and others embrace this table. Not a bad thing at all. Each table brings it's own flavor and Bonzini is truly unique. Nike world huh? I have to explore that,,,

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 11:41:58 PM »

Here's link to NIKE Table done for the UK
http://www.bonziniusa.com/foosball_sales/foosball/tables/custom/images/Nike%20foosball%20table%20black.jpg

I believe the first corkball tables arrived in the Virginia Beach area around 1968.
While most think it's just a Carolina table, it has actually been spreading casually over the past 10 years.

later

AC

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 04:12:55 AM »
Hey Alan...I'm finally going to get to check out a Bonzini table!  Of course, I am flying to France to do so.  I wish I could have made it down to get lessons from you first!  Are any of your tournaments going to be ITSF sanctioned for 2009?  I'm thinking this summer I'm going to need to head to the East coast and hit a tournament!  Who knows...if I play okay on Bonzini in France, I might just try to hit the Bonzini Worlds to hang with you crazy kids!

Thanks!

:)
Melissa

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 04:46:03 AM »
HI Mel,

Not sure what is going to happen as far as our involvement with the ITSF and the USTSF. Some of our players have questioned the focus of the USTSF in regards with the Bonzini U.S.A. players. We did not have anyone to my knowledge that was considered for the U.S.Team (Multi-table) nor did we have anyone that had a vote for the members of the U.S.Team. Our player base has rejected the use of the ITSF Bonzini ball because it basically reduces or dummy downs the game. The ITSF ball has even reduced the number of participates in France. The rumor is that there will be a different ITSF ball introduced soon for the Boznini table. If it performs to our expectations, we should have no problem transitioning to it. We will have at least 5 events this year and I do hope that you can make it out to one. The Stanton, VA tournament is great during the summer which will be your closest and we will be celebrating our 35 Annual NC State this October which will be the biggest.

If the ITSF will allow the use of the cork ball for our 2009 season, we will probably sanction 3 events. If not, we will still have our events and raise money for each of the designated charities. In fact, without the sanctioning fee,we can give more to each charity.

I plan on trying to assemble a strong team for the U.S. for the Bonzini Worlds and you are certainly welcome to be a part of the group. Have fun in Nantes. The towns people are really friendly, so try to venture out for some sightseeing

Did you know, the first International U.S. Foosball Team competed in Nantes in 1998 finishing 2nd to France and ahead of Belgium?

Later

AC

« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 07:42:06 AM by Alan Cribbs »

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 05:15:36 PM »
Hi Alan...

Thanks for the quick reply! 

I know when I was talking to Jim Stevens (head of the team selection committee) he said he felt like he, Ice and Brad were multi table players, so he felt like there was some diverse representation when doing selections.  Plus, isn't Bruce the coach of both the women's and the men's teams? 

I've got the Staunton Bonzini tournament in my planner and I hope to make it!  The October one would just depend on when IFP and Tornado both place their World Championships.  I can't take off too many weekends in a short period of time.  But after a few years of touring on just Tornado, I want badly to try out your style of tournament.  I love the charity angle, and I always hear that it is a laid back, fun weekend of foosball at your tournaments!

I can't believe you have actually played in Nantes before!  I am so excited to see the town (I heard there was a real castle there!) and then we are spending 2 nights in Paris after the tournament.  It is mind boggling to me that I am actually going to play foosball in France!  So you guys were dominating on Bonzini way back in 1998?  That is awesome! 

So will they be using the new harder Bonzini ball at the Bonzini Worlds in France?  If you guys aren't practicing with that ball, won't you be at a disadvantage when you go over?  Or is it pretty easy for you to adapt to that one? 

Thanks again for putting such an effort into running a fun, charity driven tour! Even we players who haven't been lucky enough to experience it first hand really appreciate the effort you make!

:)
Melissa

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 06:16:50 PM »
HI Mel,
Not sure what is going to happen as far as our involvement with the ITSF and the USTSF. Some of our players have questioned the focus of the USTSF in regards with the Bonzini U.S.A. players. We did not have anyone to my knowledge that was considered for the U.S.Team (Multi-table) nor did we have anyone that had a vote for the members of the U.S.Team. ....

I was wondering why no Bonzini U.S.A. players were chosen, especially after "weeks and weeks of discussion and debate."  Especially since the ITSF is based in Nantes, France.  What blew my mind was that Billy Pappas and Todd Loffredo, probably the two most proven (actually the only two proven, complete with titles on that side) multi-table U. S. players, elected not to go, for whatever reasons.  This might be highlighting the nature of having only one manufacturer like Valley-Dynamo having their tables certified for ITSF, and it might not look too good if non-Tornado, ie, Bonzini U. S. players actually represented and placed well in the multi-table World Championships/World Cup.  And having Bruce "AC-DC" Nardoci probably suits their need for a token French-style player... But is he even playing?

Valley and ITSF have obviously made concessions and agreements with each other.  Although I can't really blame them from a business/corporate viewpoint... these curiosities will probably always happen naturally when a single-product group is used to internationally represent the U. S.  The fact that you and the rest of the Bonzini player base kinda keep to yourselves without any intentions to take over a more sizeable market share of all U. S. foosball might also contribute to this.  "Baby don't cry, baby won't get fed..."?

... Our player base has rejected the use of the ITSF Bonzini ball because it basically reduces or dummy downs the game. The ITSF ball has even reduced the number of participates in France. The rumor is that there will be a different ITSF ball introduced soon for the Boznini table. If it performs to our expectations, we should have no problem transitioning to it.

We will have at least 5 events this year and I do hope that you can make it out to one. The Stanton, VA tournament is great during the summer which will be your closest and we will be celebrating our 35 Annual NC State this October which will be the biggest.

If the ITSF will allow the use of the cork ball for our 2009 season, we will probably sanction 3 events. If not, we will still have our events and raise money for each of the designated charities. In fact, without the sanctioning fee,we can give more to each charity.

I was wondering if you had ever played with the brushed metal balls (aluminum?) that I also played with, along with the cork balls back in the early 80's in Brussels and Ostend, on Leonhards & Kicker tables, if I remember correctly?  What are the new "dumbed-down" ITSF-regulation Bonzini balls made of and what are they like?

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 07:01:59 PM »
Not sure what is going to happen as far as our involvement with the ITSF and the USTSF. Some of our players have questioned the focus of the USTSF in regards with the Bonzini U.S.A. players. We did not have anyone to my knowledge that was considered for the U.S.Team (Multi-table) nor did we have anyone that had a vote for the members of the U.S.Team

I won't go into a bunch of details here but I will say that the primary goal of the selection committee was to pick the BEST PLAYERS... period. With a handful of exceptions, everyone on the US team(s) has international multi-table experience... beyond just Bonzini experience.

As for the reasons Billy and Todd aren't going, I can't say why. Tommy Adkisson isn't going either and he was considered vital to team's success.

I'm really disappointed I won't be going but circumstances are such I can't make the trip. But be assured that I'll be closely following our team.

BA

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 10:23:10 AM »
Hi Mel,

I love the charity angle, and I always hear that it is a laid back, fun weekend of foosball at your tournaments!
Our first event was for the victims of the 9/11 attack. It was from that event and the atmosphere it created that shaped the direction our tournaments went. Someone onced e-mailed wanting to know "How do you use charities to help out your foosball events." I remember going off on a tirade to that person on how they needed to step back and take a look at the statement. See, we run Zero-profit events and typically go into the red quite frequently. It's great for the local community, the local players, and our company's business. But more importantly, it's great for the game. Know how sometimes you may mention how you're involved with foosball and get that funny look? Well now we and our players get the response "Oh you're the guys that do the tournament thing to raise money for so and so". I know Tyler was asked the same question and responded "I'm not sure what you mean by using charities, isn't the whole idea ment to support charities?

I can't believe you have actually played in Nantes before!

I guess there is a lot of historical things not known about our style of foos.
Last year, we had 2 players win the Senior Doubles and Rebecca Terry finished 3rd in Women's Doubles. But as a whole, the strength of our players base in regards to skill level is not that of the Hard Ball players in the U.S. I'll match their character with the best however. Truly a good group of people to work with.

So will they be using the new harder Bonzini ball at the Bonzini Worlds in France?  If you guys aren't practicing with that ball, won't you be at a disadvantage when you go over?  Or is it pretty easy for you to adapt to that one?

They will be using the harder ball. We have so few that travel from the Bonzini U.S.A. group to France annually that changing the ball for a few disrupts the group as a whole. It is not a real problem for those of us that travel.

Thanks again for putting such an effort into running a fun, charity driven tour! Even we players who haven't been lucky enough to experience it first hand really appreciate the effort you make!

That really means alot to me and I greatly appreciate that response from you. First time attendees sometimes get to revisit how and why they came to love this game. When you're sure you're going to make it Staunton, let me know.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 12:36:10 PM by Alan Cribbs »

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 10:24:27 AM »
Brian,

I was wondering why no Bonzini U.S.A. players were chosen, especially after "weeks and weeks of discussion and debate."

We do not have any players at this time that are at the skill level that would benefit the U.S.Team. Bruce, Brian Jones, and Kenny Knicely are our primary multi-table assets to date and could have possibly or should have possibly been considered. Back in the mid to late 90's we had a really great group of Bonzini stlye players that represented the U.S. and placed well. Those players have since retired and the overall skill level of our group has dropped some. Brand loyalty is great and the support is appreciated, but getting the job done in regards to this years U.S. Team is more important.

I was wondering if you had ever played with the brushed metal balls (aluminum?) 

Never Aluminium, but I did play a Spanish table with ceramic balls and metal feet and a sunken mid-field.

What are the new "dumbed-down" ITSF-regulation Bonzini balls made of and what are they like?

The ITSF Bonzini ball lacks the grippiness of cork and also response off the wall. It effects lateral speed and angular accuracy off the pin position. It is great for the pull and rollover. The second version, from what I hear, will have increased grippiness. But to achieve this in a polymer or synthetic, it will probably chip easier. I'll have to wait and see.

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 10:32:49 AM »

Brad,

I won't go into a bunch of details here but I will say that the primary goal of the selection committee was to pick the BEST PLAYERS... period. 

I agree with the primary goal.

Their concern was who set up this committee, who were the members of the selection committee and who were the players considered. I've got the USTSF logo on all of our posters and when the group says "What for?" I've got to give them a response.

Offline PatRyan

• www.usatablesoccer.org
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 01:21:37 PM »
Not sure what is going to happen as far as our involvement with the ITSF and the USTSF. Some of our players have questioned the focus of the USTSF in regards with the Bonzini U.S.A. players. We did not have anyone to my knowledge that was considered for the U.S.Team (Multi-table) nor did we have anyone that had a vote for the members of the U.S.Team.

I have been playing on the Bonzini USA tour for close to nine years now.  If I am not a Bonzini USA player, then what am I?  I am on the US National Team Selection Committee.  I cannot speak for others, only for myself, and I considered many different players for my recommendations for the US National teams (Both men and women).  Of the players that I considered, there were a few bonzini players in that mix, most of whom you have mentioned. 

As far as the involvement of Bonzini USA and the USTSF, I have some ideas, give me a call sometime so we can discuss them! 

Pat Ryan

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 02:03:39 PM »
Thanks Pat,

You're the first person I've heard of that has had involvement with the selection.
The issue with a few of our players was not the decision but the lack of information of how these decisions went about. Being a Bonzini U.S.A. player yourself, please help keep us (the rest of the Bonzini U.S.A. players) informed.

As you may or may not be aware, Bonzini U.S.A. gives unconditional support to the U.S. National Team competing in the multi-table events. We've support Dave Gummeson and Adrian with equipment to modify local Bonzini tables so they can practice and Tracy McMillian is a new Bonzini B-90 table owner.