Foosball.com Forums

Warrior VS. Tornado

Offline the spray

• Brown Bank Bomber
Re: Warrior VS. Tornado
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 12:35:38 AM »
i am the spray. you will know me soon enough. player of the year at the pitcher house is just on of the many accomplishments of my foos days!

Is that what they named you, back in the days of The Pitcher House on PCH, because you liked to hit the urinals from outside the restroom door?  That is a skill.  Lemme ask Sunny Juwani and Nagy da Machine if they remember you... "Da Sprayhhh".  That period, if I remember, is when Ronnie, now back in St. Louis, was living with his girlfriend down the road on PCH.

I was putzing around at Charles' Billiards in Glendale at the time.... hmmmmm.
Sonny? Ask Jeep, Ben, Kid, Flair, Bacon, Stevens, Stork, Lott, Horton, Alwell, Spear and some real players that i was playing while you were putzing around.

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2009, 01:09:34 PM »
Das Kool, Spray!

So what do you think of the new crop of players, all weaned on the monkey wristshot?

Think there's hope for dem der fellers?

Happy New 09!

Offline wildcard

• Bing-Bing-BING-G-G-G-G! Ricochet Rabbit!
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 11:52:13 PM »
I thought the Warrior played very similar to the Tornado, just slower. My snakes worked fine, tic-tac passes were slower, and brush passes stubbed more if I tried a deep brush. I didn't try any pullshots. They need to forget painting the handles on the Warrior, they should use a bare wood handle for those times when you feel like playing bareback. My perfect table would be a compromise between the two--more ball control than the Tornado, but more lively tic-tac action off the men than the Warrior because I like tic-tacs, they are the funnest shot for me even though my snake is more consistent. In funzie games I shoot staggered tic-tacs 3 to 1.  I did NOT like the 1 man goalie. Although I started on TS, I've been on a 3-goalie system for too long now. My goalie game, especially in singles, suffered from the lack of wingers due to less options with shooting and passing. Flatten the surface, restore the wingers, I wouldn't have a problem with the Warrior.

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 11:36:38 AM »
..... My goalie game, especially in singles, suffered from the lack of wingers due to less options with shooting and passing. Flatten the surface, restore the wingers, I wouldn't have a problem with the Warrior. 

That would make a perfect Warrior!  Or closer to it, at least.

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 12:14:04 PM »
handles are a no win situation for someone

wood you can go bare back but they don't work well with gloves and so most people require wraps - no cleaning for dirt and germs

hard plastic mean you can go glove or wrap but if you sweat just a little no bare back - easier to clean for dirt and germs

if you go a softer more poris plastic you can go bare back or glove and wraps are optional only issue is they will wear out quckly and they will hold dirt/germs more

my main concern for Warrior is build quality and them developing a coin-op

Offline Rios

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 11:53:19 PM »
My main concern with the Warrior is the Solid rods. Get rid of those damn things! It really messes up my game going back and forth between the two...
I am not really a big fan of the single man goalie, but I can learn to live with it... I just think that the rods are too heavy for the men and the ball... if you put the lighter rods on the table it would play ALOT more like a Tornado with added control

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 04:22:11 PM »
warrior tables are probably one the best tables all around but especially for the price and parts...christine at warrior is so cool she'll get youre parts to you with no problems. i got 2 tables one with yellow and red and the new blue and red men..both play tops!...go warrior and youll never have problems in replacing parts..plus the rods dont bend like the tornados.

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 10:30:50 PM »
Graph of this thread;

----/////.........*...*              :)

*----/////               
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 10:38:17 PM by jkhFoos »

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 12:44:58 PM »
warrior tables are probably one the best tables all around but especially for the price and parts...christine at warrior is so cool she'll get youre parts to you with no problems. i got 2 tables one with yellow and red and the new blue and red men..both play tops!...go warrior and youll never have problems in replacing parts..plus the rods dont bend like the tornados.
;;
Really?  Wait till you play with your first Fireball table, if you haven't yet.
Extend the rods out, stand on em (yes even your heavy friends) to change the lighting, etc..
I don't mind Warriors either... including those heavy rods which bring me back to the ole TS days... but.. Warrior's day may have come and gone, when Dennis J decided to broach the US and Asian markets.
;;
and I believe part of Brendan's original vision was a mostly family gameroom environment for Warriors.. another reason their coin-op versions still haven't shown up.. Prolly be rare to see, if ever, a coin-op Warrior in a college bar or a pool room or other locations besides family gamerooms, and those bars and halls are where most new foosers will get indoctrinated.  That'll be more for those that started with coin-ops.. any of a half-dozen versions of coin-ops Tornados, coin-op Fireballs, and coin-op Bonzinis...

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2011, 01:48:50 PM »
probably right about Warrior ever being on tour again, since Mary moved to Tornado. but i really believe you can practice on a Warrior and still go to a tournament and play on a Tornado and win. my 2 tables are from the Big island back in 09, this year in nov. is another tournament but with Tornado. what do you think the biggest difference i should be looking for on the Tornado?

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 01:54:54 PM »
probably right about Warrior ever being on tour again, since Mary moved to Tornado. but i really believe you can practice on a Warrior and still go to a tournament and play on a Tornado and win. my 2 tables are from the Big island back in 09, this year in nov. is another tournament but with Tornado. what do you think the biggest difference i should be looking for on the Tornado?
Whatever you do... warm up your passing and dribbling and overall ball control on the Tornados before playing matches.. at least the first day.. I believe shooting shots aren't as affected by the "feel" and different roll, bounce and rebound characteristics of the ball.. but passing and control like trapping the ball will be different enough.
;;
And yeah, I won't be one to disagree or naysay that one can practice on other tables including the Harvard and other low low low end tables that many purists seem to detest, and still improve tremendously with discipline and commitment.  But the more different the table from the one in tournament, the more one simply has to take time to warmup and get accustomed to the tourney table, is all.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:59:28 PM by foozkillah »

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2011, 03:48:32 PM »
never played on hollow rods...so i dont really know the difference. just by hearing reviews i would have to say thats probably the biggest difference in a Tornado and Warrior. hey foozkillah, tell me whats the biggest difference between the two...besides the 1 man goalie..which i prefer...is there really any big thing?..is it worth trying to get a Tornado from the Big Island tournament in Nov.

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2011, 09:56:01 PM »
never played on hollow rods...so i dont really know the difference. just by hearing reviews i would have to say thats probably the biggest difference in a Tornado and Warrior. hey foozkillah, tell me whats the biggest difference between the two...besides the 1 man goalie..which i prefer...is there really any big thing?..is it worth trying to get a Tornado from the Big Island tournament in Nov.
If you plan on playing more and more tourneys..  Tornado, either a newer or an updated older one would be a wise investment, at least on this continent.  Keeping the Warrior wouldn't hurt either... it turns into weight training.. but just remember to give time to adjust to a Tornado or Fireball on those tables, as in a day or weekend before.  Solid rodders would have less problems with energy or weariness or even speed  going to hollows.  Versus the consensus of foosers used to Tornados going to the solid... they had aches, pains, tired out faster.. so you wouldn't have to worry bout that.

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2011, 01:55:03 PM »
real good advice...let me know what i need to expect come nov. when i play in my first real tournament...give me some real professional advice.