Foosball.com Forums

snake, monkey, rollover,flailing spin whatever you want to call it.

Offline the spray

• Brown Bank Bomber
All the respect for what he's accomplished but WHY?

Re: snake, monkey, rollover,flailing spin whatever you want to call it.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 07:57:59 AM »
He said it was because his Pull Shot was too slow.

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 09:35:06 AM »
because it worked and it wasn't made illegal - the rest is history and now it is even being done in Europe on the "other" tables

I assume you played back in the day and are now just getting back into things or are you just hanging on to your bias and bitterness?

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 10:22:38 AM »
Just MHO, but I have been playing for 35 years, and have shot a pull since I started playing. What I am running into is old body break down. To many miles, and to much hard work. I can do my pull shot effectively for part of a weekend, but there comes a point that I loose my consistancy. I have been working on the rollover. What I am finding is that it takes a lot of practice to be acurate and consistant with this shot, but it does not take the physical toll on the arm that the pull shot does. I played at Bart-O last year and decided to shoot a push-kick instead of the pull as my primary shot, and was able to play at a high level for the whole weekend. To me adding the rollover will give me another option, and help me last the weekend at big tournaments. I think that is probably the biggest reason Terry went to it exclusively. The other thing is, you can't deny the results.

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 10:32:52 AM »
your arm gives out on a pull and not on a push-kick  :-\ weird :o

Terry was young enough when he started and the shot was flashy and new I doubt fatigue played into his decision

you are the only person in the world doing the shot and everyone is in awe and you are kicking collective butt, what is there to figure out...pretty simple math
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 12:05:08 PM by bbtuna »

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 11:25:13 AM »
I sure could have had a lot of fun if I knew how to do the rollover back in 1977 at the Super Singles. I would have done so with no guilt what so ever,,,

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 04:31:52 PM »
 :'(

Change with the times or GTFO. Did you complain when they started using a set pull in the '70's?

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 05:11:02 PM »
Terry Moore happened to be the first major player to understand and select a main offensive shot taking advantage of the moment of the metal rods, utilizing more power and speed without loss of target control.  The same way Hans Friedrich Kircher did when he couldn't shoot with his hand after his injury.

It's just another logical progression in the game, utilizing spin and physics.  Pretty much the same progression as when the pull shot was first heavily utilized.  Unless you believe that they were doing stroke pulls and pushes, instead of just kicks when foosball tables first appeared.  The same probably applies to hockey, and to pitching in baseball.  It never ruined the game, but instead enhanced it.  It allows those who never figured out the proper nonrecoil pull and thereby damaged their musculature, nerves and tendons, to continue playing for years, without loss of accuracy or power.  And their sons AND DAUGHTERS who won't have to go through neanderthal pain and hardship to get good at their parents' sport.

It only ruins those who never respected progress or new techniques and who still dream of going back to their fantasy world for a perpetual second chance.  Same guys who keep thinking the championship NFL team of their childhoods 30 years ago should survive a 16game season today against modern teams and still win out.  Most well-adjusted older players who still have the competitive fire enjoy the newness of learning another shot like the rollover, which has evolved into its own series.  And enjoy learning how to block another deadly option, like learning to hit or pitch curve balls in the American League after years of fastball variants in the National League, or vice versa.

Even real field soccer now allows vulcanized or grip striping on strikers' shoes, which allows previously impossible curved and sliding strikes that were unthinkable a couple of decades back.  Customized or standardized rubber snap-on booties or wraps for selected foosball figures may be the next technological thing coming.  We could call them fbooties or ftoes.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 05:19:16 PM by foozkillah »

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 05:28:21 PM »
And I don't know about the rest of you, but I have great and awesome friends whom I used to play years with.  I KNOW they loved and lived foosball as much as I did, if not more.

But so many fell to arthritic or ruined wrists, elbows and shoulders, ... bad backs too.  Pain that might have started with old school caveman power foosball, or was at the very least completely aggravated by it.  They can't play anymore...  they didn't have a rollover to go to early enough. And you can still see it in their eyes when you talk about foosing... something they always loved that they just can't do anymore...

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 05:56:57 PM »
Did you every try shooting the rollover like this kid? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUz6jhTUJls

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 12:50:36 AM »
interesting but that is as much a story about defensive abilities of the two goalies

i think the only fair way to do that would be to have a top flight goalie play defense agains both

give them each 10 shots in a row
if the goalie blocks the ball but it bounces back to the 3 bar (without going behind the 3 bar) then that shot should not count as one of the 10..3 bar gets a nother crack at it

I would do 5 rounds of 10 shots each...same goalie for both or if you could, change goalies every completed round of 10

then, maybe you could say it was one shot against another

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 09:32:43 AM »
Maybe you guys see it all since you are blessed with active foosball venues near you and what I saw as a novel approach is more commonplace than I knew. What I was referring to was the method of shooting the rollover from the far side rather than from the middle. I had to try it out, very interesting but is going to take some work. Going deadman from a static start at the other extreme,,, have you known anyone to do this?

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 03:30:01 PM »
Yeah that dude does shoot a crazy snake. I guess you can be proficient at anything if you practice enough...

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 08:10:21 AM »
Here's what Terry himself wrote about that issue:

http://clubfoos.phpbb3now.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=96

_

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 10:32:37 AM »
Just curious OM, how is the long snake working out for you?