Foosball.com Forums

goal scoring sound

goal scoring sound
« on: November 12, 2012, 09:14:40 PM »
I have a nice home built table that I am quite happy with except for the sound that a nice clean hard goal makes. When someone shoots a nice clean shot into the goal all that is heard is just a dull thud. I have tried many different configurations such as 1/4" plywood , sheet metal , plastic etc. Does anyone have a pic or a description of the component in the back of the goal hole on a Tornado or any other table with a nice loud sharp sounding goal?

This is important to me and I am also curious as to how many of you agree with me on this.

Re: goal scoring sound
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 09:56:59 PM »
I believe the sound is actually two sounds.  The first is an angled piece of plastic that deflects the ball downward.  The second is the ball hitting the ramp thats under the goal.  when hit w/ a clean fast shot its a THWAP sound.  does yours have the angled piece of plastic?  Do the balls ever bounce out of the goal?

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 01:45:44 PM »
Are there any bars near you that have tables? I would suggest going and looking at the goal in person as pictures will probably not give you enough info. I believe that the noise results from both the ball hitting the metal and the metal hitting the wood frame. If you can get someone to open up the table, it will give you a chance to see the inner workings. If I think about it when I get home from work, I will try to take some pics from my table so you can see what I'm talking about.

Offline PatRyan

• www.usatablesoccer.org
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 03:53:21 PM »
I believe they key to the "signature" sound is also due to the fact the the angled plastic piece is "loose".  It moves a little when a ball hits it.  That and the fact that there is a hollow area behind the angled piece as well, providing a little bit of an echo effect.  All of these things (along with those things listed above, in other posts) contribute to the sound a goals makes.

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 04:48:30 PM »
In reply to Indy, No I dont have plastic , I have a piece of 1/4" plywood there at the moment.

In reply to alaskan thunder: I would really appreciate some pics if you do get a chance!!  Unfortunately none of the local tables in this small town have what I am looking for.

Thanks guys for your response

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 06:54:13 PM »
Here you go. Like I said, the pics are only going to be marginally helpful.

I forgot that I have a pad covering the contact point (ghetto muffler) so you can't really see the inside that well anyways. Sorry.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 07:00:00 PM by alaskan thunder »

Offline papafoos

• Good luck reaching me IM, I usually keep them off.
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 08:21:14 PM »
My guess is the back of your goal is solid.  The piece of wood that deflects the ball downward should be loose.  It can be raised about 1/4 of an inch if you reach in the goal and touch it.  I think we called it the rattle plate.  Also, the curved piece of tin is not completely tight.  I think it's the combination of the two that gives Tornado it's unique sound.

If you can get Jack Cole or Ed Geer to comment in here, they can perhaps be more helpful since they both worked at Tornado for a while.