Foosball.com Forums

Need advice for improving playability of my table

peterd

Need advice for improving playability of my table
« on: January 02, 2006, 02:53:40 AM »
I got a ???? table for x-mas.  I realize this is a pretty low-end table but am looking for feedback on the best way to improve playability/control.  From everything I've read, the playing surface, men and balls all contribute to playability, so I'm looking to upgrade some or all of these. 

For the balls, I've ordered some tornado balls and cork balls (cheap enough to experiment and see what I like best). 

For the men, the rods are 5/8" and use nut and bolt to secure the player to the rod.  Seems that the best men for control would be the tornado or dynamo men, but I don't think these are options for me since they use rollpins.  So I'm looking for similar men that share the same knife-blade design that would work for my table.  The best I've been able to come up with are the ones linked below.  Please let me know if you have any better ideas.

dead link removed.

For the playing surface, I see one option as just buying a tornado playing fiield, but these run $200+ so if there is a cheaper option with close to the same results, I'd rather go that route (on a tight budget).  One thing that I've heard is laying plexiglass thats been sanded.  Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

-Pete
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 02:54:46 PM by Arthur »

Offline snake eyes

• Carpe De Foos
Re: Need advice for improving playability of my table
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 01:22:14 PM »
Hey Pete, is there any way you can attach tornado men to the existing rods you have?  I would search for some machine screws and nuts to slide thru a tornado man and use new tornado balls for grippieness. as far as the playing surface whats it like now? Is it really smooth or rough? I am sure the tornado balls and men will help out a bunch for getting the feel of a tournament grade table, good luck with that..

peterd

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 02:04:10 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I'm going to buy a tornado man and see if I can make it work.  As for the playing surface, its pretty slick -- basically a smooth surface with no texture. 

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 04:40:39 PM »
Option#1... you already did it... get a Light Cork balls... and Heavy Urethane compound balls.
The light balls will be very grippable with your existing men and playfield.   They don't roll the best for setting up slide pulls.. but are great for pinning and learning pin shots and general ball control.  The heavey balls roll great and have pretty good pinnability.  The downside of them being "heavy" is that they may inflict more wear and tear on entry level (lighter plastic) men of the average sportcraft type table.
http://store.yahoo.com/foosdirect-store/corkballkit.html   
http://store.yahoo.com/foosdirect-store/deluxeballkit.html

Option #2...  try one Tornado man and Roll pin.... i think you'll be pleasantly surprised in that there is a good chance it will fit your table!   We've attached tornado men to TS rods before and the fit is "okay"... the roll pin attached the man fine to the bolt/not hole.. but the fit of man to rod is the bigger challenge.   Warning... Upgrading a bunch of men gets expensive quick though!
Try one man on you middle offensive 3-bar.
http://store.yahoo.com/foosdirect-store/tornado.html

Option #3...  i would not suggest a surface upgrade.   least likely to have a good fit... be prepare for major refitting... most expensive...  given a good Ball.. and good Man.. you can play on a slick surface!

Recommendation... stick with option #1 above... save the "$" from option 2.... look to sell/donate your sportcraft table and start saving for a higher end piece of "sports equipment" type table that is promoted on locally or caters to your preferred style of play as opposed to the toy/game which is more typical of the sportcraft.