Foosball.com Forums

Old Foosball Table Restoration (Valley-Dynamo 1970s era table)

So I have a Valley Dynamo table down in my basement that we play on sometimes. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it or where I could find replacement parts.

Its at least 30 years old, not sure exactly. It's a coin-op but the coin receiver has been removed. It's defining characteristic would be that it used to have a glass playing surface but that broke quite a while ago, we use a sheet of plexi-glass now. The body of it hinges up so you can clean it easy, the play field can even be completely removed.

Does anyone know any information about a table like this?  Anywhere to get replacement parts? I want to restore this thing to mint condition but it's pretty beat up and I can't find parts for a table like this anymore. I've never seen another glass-top playfield so I don't even know where to start.

thanks

Offline EDGEER

Re: Old Foosball Table Restoration (Valley-Dynamo 1970s era table)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 06:52:38 PM »
I have been looking for an old Glass top Tornado for a while.  They are getting harder and harder to find.  Keep and Eye on Ebay.  I have seen replacement men on there from Time to time.

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 06:15:29 PM »
this is not a tornado table. nowhere on the table does it say tornado, and it uses the older blue and red guys with curved feet. The only thing on it is the valley-dynamo logo. When did "tornado" tables come out anyway?

when I get off work I'll try to find more info on this thing

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 07:45:10 PM »
Calll a glass person ask for 3/16 inch pebbled tempered glass to the correct size and i mean be right
sheet should not cost over 100.00 if you have the back wood tighten up the top with the cam washers
LMK if this helps
jack

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 05:57:42 PM »
I think Tornado came out in 1973.  I had been looking for a glass top Tornado for a while.  I only saw one on ebay a few years ago, but I have not been actively searching for one.   Well I did a search on Craigslist and came across a vintage glass top table last licensed in 1979 its really cool and I can't believe I ever liked any other table. 

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 12:30:32 AM »
I just picked up a Dynamo glass top table. It is as perfect as a 30+ year old table can be. The raised corners are perfect and the glass is flawless. The Dynamo green plastic field under the glass is a little wavy but it adds to the character.The ball makes a wizz sound over the glass when you shoot from the back, it really is a great table.  I have a few questions:
1) Does anyone have any information as far as figuring out what year the table was made?
2) I would also like to know if anyone sells  blue and red players. The person I bought the table from changed the players out and gave me the old ones, they are cracked and the blue guys turned green! It has the yellow and black players now and I would like to go back to the original colors.
3) There are openings in the table to get to the leg bolts. What used to be in those holes? I am guessing ash trays and cup holders. Does anyone know what went in there and where I can find some parts?
If anyone has any more information on these tables please let me know. I am planning on replacing the rods and players but want to keep the table as original as possible.

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 12:22:10 AM »
I used to play on glasstop Dynamo tables in the late '70's...we had one at the student union on the campus of the college i went to, and a friend of mine bought one.  We used to have tournaments at his house on the weekends.  His glasstop was unique in that all of the ones we played on in bars or the one at the student union had black formica sides and top edge finishing.  My friend's table had mirrored plexi sides, and black formica top edge finishing.  I had never seen another one like it.  Flash forward about 28 years, and my friend who still had the table tells me his wife wants him to get rid of it and do I want it!  Remembering that table, how fast the play was on it, how pristine it looked, naturally I said yes.  So I go to his house to get it and it is totally trashed.  Cracks in the mirrored plexi, coffee had been spilled on the table and seeped through to the playing field, which by the way was paper, not plastic (this makes me think the plastic field you referenced is either a replacement or came later...the paper one has a big Dynamo logo on it).  Anyway, the bar were still straight and the glass was perfect (this glass is called industrex glass by the way, if you are looking to get the right textured glass) but some men had been replaced.  I have completely restored it...new mirrored plexi sides, new old style men (I can't find the chisel toe guys that were originally there, although someone is selling a set now on ebay, but I cant sink anymore money into this table now, so the men are old style, but a little different...rounder feet), new inner and outer bearings, I restored the paper playing surface, repainting the logo and using art markers that matched the green areas where it needed it. 

So, to answer your questions as best that I can, I couldn't tell you the exact year, but there is writing on the inside from the factory that may give you an idea.  Look and see if it has a serial number which may give a clue to the date.  Mine HAD a sticker on the playing field that had a serial number, but I stupidly peeled it off before realizing it was put there from the factory.

You can buy new replacement old style men, but they are not exactly like the originals., but close enough.  Right now on ebay you can get a set of the blue men, but the guy is asking $79 for the set...says they are new but in the picture they look used. They come up on ebay every so often, but I haven't seen brand new ones.  Usually there are only one or two, not a whole set.  If you do want the new replacements, check out  Muellers at http://www.poolndarts.com/products  Thats where I bought all the bearings and replacement men.

I am not sure what openings you are referring to to get to the leg bolts.  There used to be ashtrays on top behind the wooden score beads.  They were square and had two screws that held them in place.  The screws mounted in a diagonal fashion.  I never saw drink holders on any of the glasstops I used to play on...all had ashtrays.

If you want to send me a photo of the openings you are referring to, I may be able to shed some light.  Hit me up if you want to...mygenericemails@gmail.com 

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 10:35:18 PM »
Ii just bought a old dynamo glass top. It was coin operated but fixed to always work. Dont know what the ash tray things are or cup holders. Big squares four of them they had white plastic egg crate in them the bottom boards were at a slop that i assumed dripped to the floor. Whole playing field slides out its very serviceable. Im complety re doing it making my own costume playing feild under the glass. bought it for 50 bucks bars look straight and men in good condition.