Foosball.com Forums

Grip differences?

Grip differences?
« on: March 29, 2009, 08:14:55 PM »
Hi, I posted a similar question before, but it didn't get any replies.  So I'll try again.

What's the difference between these two grips?

A. Badminton-like grip.  Thumb and index finger curl are positioned at the handle's groove (Tornado). 

B. A choked-up grip, with index finger curled up in front of the handle (i.e. around the metal rod) and tip of thumb just at the top edge of the handle.

Someone told me that A is better for power, while B is better for handling. I've always done A, but I'm wondering if B might be better.  My main offense is a pull shot and push-kick.

Thanks.

Re: Grip differences?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 10:26:21 PM »
Unless it gives you an added sense of control I'd stay with what feels right. Your shots are both push and pull so you want to feel comfortable and isn't that what gives you control? If you aren't satisfied with your execution and are honest about what you think is going on then, by all means, try what you think might help. In truth, I couldn't tell you about the two grips as I subconsciously adjust my grip according to the shot I'm attempting, basically wrist and palm but never putting my index finger in front of the handle. And that's just me so, like I said, if you feel the need to try something else, why not?  Maybe this has been explored by others and they'll post about it but in my experience a player needs to forge his own way to be effective. Make your game unique to you and not a copy of someone else.

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 10:37:19 AM »
i have seen just about every kind of grip used but the standard "V" grip is probably most prominant...I used to grip it with my thumb actually up on the handle like a golf grip but that is rare and I never approved of it either and last year forced myself away from it...it still worked and I could do basically everything except a squared off pull shot with that and it made a palm roll much easier since the thumb was already out of the way

Todd Loffredo says, and I figure his opinion counts, that he hold the handle very high up, index finger over the top of the handle touching the rod for control...so if you watch video of him, when he is passing, that is how he hold the rod

when shooting he moves his hand back down the handle (v-form basically) and he says he does this for power...the closer to the end of the handle, the more power...part of the heel of his hand actually sits on the end of the grip

i have messed around with these and have not gotten comfortable with the finger over the top...I am sure it is part mental, getting used to something new, and part that I think it hinders your wrist from full rotation or fluid easy rotation much like my thumb up on the handle did

however, given Todd's sucess and his diligence as a student of the game, I would for sure defer to him and think I probably just am not comfortable enough to know what he knows

now, on the power grip, I do use this and find it is true...at least mentally...I don't know if I really get more power but it feels like it and that is enough

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 01:22:04 AM »
Thanks for your answers.

I did try looking up Loffredo vids on YouTube, but couldn't get a good look anywhere.  And I was too lazy to dig up some tournament DVDs I have.

But I guess maybe that's something I can consider.  Choked up grip for passing and catching, and a choked down grip as soon as my 3-rod has the ball or any other time I'm not doing a pass.  It might make sense to choke up whenever my 3-rod doesn't have the ball, just to have better control for when a ball comes its way.  But that'll take away from some of the explosion I like to have on my 3 for sudden/surprising offense to catch the opponent off guard.

Cheers.

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 01:29:05 PM »
Seems to me you have described the same grip. The differences you are asking is grip LOCATION on the handle.

This will be a personal preference and only you can decide. Todd has his way, Billy has his, Tommy has his, Tracy Mac has his, and so on. They are all using the same grip, it's the location on the handle that's different, and that is personal preference.