Foosball.com Forums

How to get new players interested in competitive foosball?

Offline Joel

So at my work, there are around 15 of us that play foosball each day at lunch. Over the past year, we have started hosting monthly tournaments but the problem we are running into is attracting new players to the game. The biggest thing is that people don't want to go out and get destroyed since they aren't as good as us. (These tournaments are just for fun, no prize money)

Question: What are some ways to even the odds or make these tournaments more appealing for new players?

We already make all the tournaments draw-your-partner which I thought would encourage new people to come out, but so far it hasn't helped. We also make each tournament a double-elimination bracket with each match a best 2 out of 3. Therefore, everyone is guaranteed 4 games just for showing up.

I love foosball and believe there are more people who would also love to play.

Offline Daniel

Re: How to get new players interested in competitive foosball?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 12:35:37 PM »
What works for Tucson is a HI-Lo tournament.  We team up the best player with the newest player.  We get players rank by using www.netfoos.com this FREE software keeps track of players results and does an ELO system for local points.  We also give out a trophy for first place.  This event is held on the first Saturday of the month and is almost aways the largest event and always brings out the beginners.  Check out our results
http://www.netfoos.com/account/37/tournament_results.html

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 10:41:54 PM »
Sounds a sight better than some of the "Hi-Lo" tourneys I've had the misfortune to be in.

Standard BYP supposedly, but too often I'd draw a partner who was just a tad bit too "Hi" from some alleged glaucoma medication, and whose reasoning faculties that night (or whole weekend for that matter) were also a quart or so "Lo" (y'know, like when their elevator wouldn't go all the way up to the penthouse, or they kept shuffling their deck, but kept drawing dead?).

Talk about weight-training.  Jeeeeezusssss.... some o' those ole draws !!  "Learns" ya to play both forward and back while holding your partner upright by the belt so he won't fall on the table or on you ... ALL AT THE SAME TIME !!  Then when you actually still get in the money, they give you the $2 return on your $5, plus don't even think about your gas, food and beverage money you blew, and they can't figure out why you can't stop laughing AND crying like a jackal or hyena !!

(and muttering.... "I could've been a peaceful, happy, contented garbage collector, making over a hundred bucks every day before 8:45 AM !!  I could've had free dental and HMO, and no one sitting beside me in planes, trains, or automobiles !!  I could've been somebody !!").
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 10:45:48 PM by foozkillah »

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 11:01:10 AM »
We've got the same problem out here in Taiwan.
I've been doing my best to help promote foosball however I can (we've got tournaments, an eMagazine, we're even going to have a tournament broadcast on a local MOD sports channel)... but to be honest, I think the solution is this:

Find more women.

I'm dead serious.  Just like in any company, women can change the dynamic of an environment (and usually for the better).
Promoting using women in photos in some ways will attract both men and women to the sport.  There will always be more men than women... and getting them all in the door is an important step to start with.

Sounds silly, but I think there's some truth to it.

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 03:10:07 PM »
We've got the same problem out here in Taiwan.
I've been doing my best to help promote foosball however I can (we've got tournaments, an eMagazine, we're even going to have a tournament broadcast on a local MOD sports channel)... but to be honest, I think the solution is this:

Find more women.

I'm dead serious.  Just like in any company, women can change the dynamic of an environment (and usually for the better).
Promoting using women in photos in some ways will attract both men and women to the sport.  There will always be more men than women... and getting them all in the door is an important step to start with.  Sounds silly, but I think there's some truth to it. 

Not silly at all! 

One of the best things to anchor a local foosball group, whether having DYPs, Brings, or even pickups, is the presence of female players AND COUPLES.  Over the years I've seen few memberships that have lasted longer than those with a good amount of females and in turn, couples.

It immediately socializes the game.  In collegiate sportsbar or gameroom environments, even just the presence of single women helps, because it becomes a SOCIAL OUTING, and not just for personal amusement and recreation.  The presence of female players also IMMEDIATELY diminishes the stigma of foosball being a totally GEEK sport.  More like a pool league or bowling or darts outing.

In more urban downtown or family center venues, the presence of couples becomes even more of a stabilizing influence on weekly or regular attendance.  Having two people in a household schedule time, not only for competition but also to a social environment, or perhaps meeting there, definitely helps attendance.  Having couples and female players also helps justify support from venues like rec centers bowling alleys, or the club rooms at housing developments, not just for bars or nightspots.  These proprietors also know the value of female attendance.

So yes, the more women you can convince to start playing and KEEP playing, the more the rest of the male players have to behave like other standard social engagements and BE MUCH MORE CIVIL all-around.   I've seen many players that can behave like beasts and cavemen among a males-only "who's Alpha here?" group suddenly show politeness, courtesy, and concern for things other than their drinks or gameplay.  Women also bring a certain change in offensive and defensive styles and attitudes that can only help everyone.  Especially if the better players HELP and advise the female players.  And just like any group that nurtures and encourages its newer players, this strengthens overall play, not to mention the possibility that drawing a female in a BYP who's been learning from everyone improves the males' chances of winning.

Female members, whether singly or as parts of couples, can and have been a major source of strength to any group, and should never be considered a burden.  So if you're afraid it might be silly.... BE SILLY !!!  HAVE AT IT!!!

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 09:07:01 AM »
Daniel,

Could you explain how you do you Hi/Low tournaments and Handicap Singles events?  How do you do your local points or ELO points locally?  I always thought it was important to have local points, just not sure how to do it or keep track of it.  I use Net foos as well.  Also, if and how you encourage new players and woment to play.  I am trying to come up with ideas for St. Louis Foosball to help get better turnouts.  

I would appreciate any help and information that you guys do in Arizona.

Thank you, Neil
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 09:10:16 AM by Hollywood 1 »

Offline Daniel

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 12:22:32 PM »
Ok to start off you have to rank all your players.  I started with there national points if they had them.  Then new players just shy of spinning start off with 600 points if they they know how to play ok then 900 points.  Then I break up the players by rank Pro Master, Pro, Semi-Pro, Amateur, and Beginner.  This is for Handicap Singles the way we run this is for every rank difference the lower players gets a point.  Like a Semi-pro plays a beginner the beginner starts off with 2 points.  I also don't count the Handicap singles tournaments for ranking.  The software lets you exclude any events you want.  Also for the Hi-Lo you just take the highest rank player and team them up with the lowest rank and the 2ND highest with the 2ND lowest and so on.  A few other things I do is all beginners(under 800 points)and women pay $5 for the events and $10 for every one else.  I give out a trophy out for the Hi-Lo(the new players love this).  Also a new thing we tried this year with success was have a most improved player based on local points gained.  The way this worked was the player that gained the most points in 6 months from Jan to July and played at least 15 tournament will win $150 and any other player that played at least 15 tournaments will be added to a raffle to win $50.  This got some of my beginners working very hard to improve there game and they wanted updates on there points after every tournament.  Here is a link to our players rank for June I only update the points once a month right before the Hi-Lo.

http://www.arizonafoosball.com/Forums/JitBit/messages.aspx?TopicID=215