Foosball.com Forums

Pullshot injuries

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
Re: Pullshot injuries
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 12:48:28 PM »
Dear Ball Hugger ;),

okay Bob, slow down there my old friend...how old are you right now and how long since you played?  You may have said but I don't remember.  What level did you play at when you left?  I don't want to burst your bubble, glad you are back and interested, I came back after a 20+ year layoff as have others on this board but lets get your head screwed on straight and set realistic expectation from the get go

second, you can get video of Todd from Inside Foos from early 90's when Todd was playing forward and still winning Worlds even going back to back two different times with two different goalies
http://www.insidefoos.com/ (started 1994)
Todd's early year winning years, so you know what to ask Inside Foos for, can be found here
http://foosworld.com/public/main/playerProfile.aspx?id=F65C1C844E4241F8A820E032B91D1D80

with that said, I am a student of the game, and although Todd says he gets his power from his hip he is lying ... just kidding, but if that is true, it is nearly invisible...Todd is a freak of nature and I do not recommend trying to copy is pull style especially at your advanced age ;D :P you will hurt yourself, I am almost certain and I am not kidding

best writing on the pull I have seen is from fooskilla...basically 2 types of pulls, one is a two step "pinch" which is what Todd shoots and the other is more of a fluid one motion shot

the pinch creates more power into the goal but my experience, and killa's comments back this up, that this method is much more likley to cause injury

on what pulls to watch...well, you can see Steve M in those early InsideFoos years too but his pull was never an overpowering long...he was sneaky and good at choosing holes

I don't know who to say for sure, who to follow...read killa's recent posts for some of that

Rollover has not cheapened the game and has not made learning a tournament shot any easier...that is an old myth started by Todd L mostly but it is simply not true...a beginner may pick up on it a little faster but my experience says that isn't even true...they feel better about it sooner but it takes some effort to make a rollover good and tons and tons of it to make it world class just like any other shot

the only advantage I see is that lateral speed is disguised a little and so isn't quite as important as it is with set wrist shots but both require creating an invisible start regardless of speeed
and most important the roller is less wear on your arm but to get that, you give up the detailed control (all things equal) of the inside game on say a pull shot series

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2009, 01:04:16 AM »
An old master coming back to the game after a lengthy lay off, I've never heard of such a thing;)

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2009, 06:25:01 AM »
I know I must sound like a Loffredo BALL-HUGGER, but come on people! I am really serious about coming back to compete against these top players of today. I know that I will haft to adjust to the snake shot and learn the right defense for it, but if I can just get a hold of some Loffredo clippage in his prime shooting it , then I can have the advantage over them by duplicating Loffredo's stroke.
Tell me where, and who to call and I'm on it yesterday!

Also, I heard that Steve Murray shot it about as good as Loffredo in his prime. Was Murray's pull-shot in the elite class?

Old Meister gave you that link.  I've rarely seen a smoother pull with lots of power as Minnesotan Jim Wiswell's, or the maddening no-tell rolling pull series from Todd, until I moved to Florida and saw Johnny Horton's.  Johnny used to warm up for those Tampa tourneys in the 90s at Rudy's Sports Bar in Largo, FL (now owned by Boz Diaz) and somehow draw a bigger audience than the adjacent 2 or 3 pit matches currently in progress.  He practiced by getting a bunch of balls in his left hand, throwing them one by one near the three bar, where he caught them in a pull set and proceeded to shoot pulls, both quicksets and timed ones.   Unless you've physically been there, you will have a very hard time understanding why people would crowd to see him warm up.  Hard to describe that crunching thumping sound, which was prolly close to a Mercedes door or trunk lid slamming shut.  And he was definitely a showman, with often hilarious choice phrases after each shot.   Only after seeing and hearing him do that did I begin to really understand why his videos were some of the most in-demand tapes (at the time) of foosball tournaments.  Many righteously criticize and denounce Johnny for his off-table antics and behaviour, but his foosball AND HIS PULL were classic.

Quote from: washedUPoleBastard
Question: Do you think the snake shot is good for the game. Do you guys think that it stole the integrity from true wrist shooters, and took the work ethic out of foosball? Isn't spinning illegal? I guess I just haft to accept reality of this lazy-boy progression, but its not how I remember it on TS
Have a good day!   Thanks,   Bob C.    

Even with all the distaste from the oldschool pullshooters for the sudden and permanent addition of the rollover to the scene starting in the mid-90's, as pioneered and exemplified by Terry Moore, King Louie, Rob Mares and Tommy Adkisson, one has to be thankful that the rollover kept interest, especially from young recruits to the game, alive and well.

I agree with Old Meister that the rollover is just as hard to master as any other foosball kill or "money" shot, especially the pull.   However, its use of physics to impart a very violent, pounding, but also smooth force to the ball, resulting in a very loud booming sound when going into the goal, is like adding sound effects and the pinwheeling show of the rollover motion, to the game.  Even a straight or a 1/4 inch rollover is pretty impressive to those who have trouble even hitting the push, pull or kick shot with any loud and intimidating power.  Not too many things will draw newbies to the game as a half-decent rollover, as I have noted repeatedly, over the past 10 years.  And aerials are now illegal.

Many rollover shooters can also shoot without radically changing their stance and footwork from that used in passing or defending.   One cannot say the same for pull, push, and kick shooters, where going into shooting stance often becomes an adventure that can really mess with the ease of playing the game.  And yes, once wraps and wristband protectors became commonplace, rollover shooting became a lot less strenous and less injurious, physically.  The fact that the rollover is a pinned power shot, makes it less susceptible to errors due to table roll and differences in table surface characteristics, the same advantage as classic front or back pin wrist and/or palmrolled shots.  

You could say the snake or rollover is a culmination of several good features:

1. the power and weight of spun rods being transferred to the ball without additional stress on the shooter; usually no rheumatoid arthritis or tennis or wrist elbow, or back & upper shoulder problems for its proponents later in life.

2. taking advantage of the natural control for acceleration and even faking, of pinned shots

3. taking advantage of a front pinned shot that is over an inch closer in firing distance to the hole at all times.

4. no special grip or fingertip control is required, from the start.... can be shot by Peter Pan's Cap'n Hook.  Once one gets past controlling and moving the ball with the inside of one's wrist, it only gets better and more reliable, and doesn't suffer the "touch" problems of standard double-roll (down then up) palmrollers.

5. can be shot effectively in any square-to-the-table or other stances, which really helps in doubles, too.

6. the straights can be as loud and pop-out visceral as any lateral shot, which really helps with feedback, especially for noobs and kids.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 06:28:32 AM by foozkillah »

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2009, 02:21:27 PM »
Dang WUOB! I'm not deserving all this attention you're giving me. I'm an old TS player who took a 28 year lay-off and came back thinking I could step right back in where I left off, hence the joke. We do joke here a bit, mostly try to help, yeah, confess a little and have great fun exploring this game's intricacies with anyone who wants to chime in. It sounds like you were/are a 'player' and might have plenty to share. If you read much of what has been explored on this site you will see that people don't get into angry arguments too much, probably due to the fact that everyone seems respectful of each other even if there is a bit of teasing. It sounds like you're a serious man with your tail on fire, your game probably reflects that also. As far as execution info I will defer to 'Killah' as well as Gitablok and Bbtuna as they all seem to have great insight and knowledge in this area. Technical data, Bbtuna is your man with Ed Geer showing up from time to time to give the bare facts about today's tables and directions being taken in that light. I like to look at things on the emotional/cerebral side of things in relation to game play and was lucky enough to draw out some excellent info from Zeek Mullins on the Mental attitude thread. You see, we are guys like you, know some things, wonder some things, learn some things. I'm happy to hear what you have to say and share. Buying 50 tables? Wow, I'll look forward to seeing the responses to what  table people think you should choose although I suspect it will be Tornado.

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2009, 08:48:55 AM »
Bob,

If you are looking at buying 50 tables, then you should call Tornado in Richland Hills, TX.  You might get to speak with Kelye Stites, Championship Shuffleboards's owner, Valley-Dynamo-Tornado's new CEO and Bill Rickett's son-in-law.

You might also call your old buddy "sirflair" Flaherty, who owns Warrior Golf and Warrior foosball.  Or PM him here, or Mary Moore (ifp) who runs the IFP-Warrior Tour.

Nothing like getting down to brass tacks with the principals.

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2009, 11:54:50 PM »
WUOB, I really like the direction Warrior is going. Flayerty seems to be answering the call of us old TS players by giving us greater pinning and banks. There is a resurgence of us "boomers" coming back to the game and what do we find? An unforgiving critical table that doesn't let us show our game but rather makes us adhere to today's game ala Tornado. But Tornado is an excellent table in it's construction, you can't argue with that. And these players, younger players, that's all they know so they don't want to change any more than we do. It's their day in the sun, we had ours. Selfishly, I want to pin a ball without loosing it. Thus the middle ground sought by Warrior is a direction I can support whole heartedly. So I guess you have to do some soul searching about which table you want to go with. With the change in ownership of Tornado, the influence of Warrior, well I can understand your seeking input. :-\