Foosball.com Forums

Bought a used gray marble Coin-Op Tornado

Offline PatRyan

• www.usatablesoccer.org
Re: Bought a used gray marble Coin-Op Tornado
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2009, 05:23:47 PM »
You can always just set up the table, clean it up, and play "as-is", until you get the parts to upgrade it.

That way you and your kids can get your "fix" without having to pay for shipping.  Foosball.com doesn't have a storefront, but we could probably work something out.  place your order with Jimmie, I can get your parts from him when I see him (usually once per week, at least) and I can get them to you when you are in town.

Pat

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2009, 06:09:19 PM »
definately clean it, silicone it, and play like heck until you get new parts Pat is right

I am 99.99% certain Jim doesn't have Merkel rods and nearly as certain Charles does

i always recommend buying from Jim when you can because he provides the forum where you get all the helpful information

but there are a couple exceptions when Charles has something Jim doesn't (rare)...I like them both, they are great foosball people...big differences are, Jim has the forum and his website is easier to use but Jim doesn't sell tables (anymore at least for now) and Charles is the biggest distributor of Tornado in the country

anyway, get your table up and running and have fun while you wait and go have crabcakes and meet some good foos people and play your brains out

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2009, 11:18:05 PM »
Yeah I'll try and get the legs on, level it and get it cleaned this weekend...the only things stopping me is I can't find my roll pin punch, the plastic bearing wrench, rod lube, and I think I mentioned this coin-op did not come with any balls...  I found a stash of old Tornado balls while trying to search for the other stuff...  The balls are about 8 years old and pretty gunky and nasty, but I think definitely useable.  What is the best way to clean Tornado balls?

Sheesh between talking about lubing rods and cleaning balls...this response could easily be posted on some adult website.  LOL!  Sorry it's late.

Pat, I typically come to Maryland during the work week and I will typically stay for 3 days and 2 nights...sort of a no-frills business trip due to the fact I know no one in Maryland (born and raised in the Midwest)...other than a couple of friends that went to the Naval Academy in Annapolis, which is one of the most BEAUTIFUL cities in the US in the fall.  I have to say if I am ever fortunate enough to play foos with you Maryland guys, please keep in mind I am a complete rookie and not a representative of Chicago Foosball...which has some awesome tourney players.

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2009, 10:10:03 AM »
for the pin punch you can use a counter sink, if you don't have one you can pick one up at the hardware store for a couple bucks...

the hex wrench is not a deal breaker either, you can either use your hand or if it is too tight, use a good size pair of Arc Plyers http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00945384000P?vName=Tools&cName=Hand+Tools&sName=Pliers
you don't need to spend that kind of money, hopefully you have some tools around the house...anyway, get creative, don't tell me a large nut is going to side track you

or of course you could borrow these from a local player or even the bar that hosts the weekly DYP

ball cleaning - easiest thing to do is to put all of them in a sock and stick them into the washer with as hot a water as possible and laundry soap and when they are done, stick them in the dryer (maybe with a towel so they don't clunk clunk you to insane) and put the temp as hot as possible and dry the crap out of them

this should make a very big difference...the other way or maybe a second step if you the first way didn't provide enough...is to take them one ball at a time in the sink, dish soap and a green pad and scrub scrub scrub...I did this for the last good sized tournament we ran for 4 tables...my hands were raw but the balls were nice

you may wonder how good they are coming out when you scrub them by hand but when they dry they really perk up

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2009, 09:50:11 AM »
Got the balls cleaned via the washer...  I can't believe it actually worked!  We have one of those higher end front load steam assist washers, that have the EXTREME sanitizing heat settings.  I did a load of whites and put each individual ball in it's own sock, and some of the balls managed to find it's way out and they actually got cleaned ever so slightly better.  The ones that remained in the sock got a very,very light layer of lint stuck to it and looked a tiny bit dingier still.  So for those looking to the laundry route, it works but I recommend just putting the balls loosely in there (as long as your significant other approves)...lot's of banging going on, and plus the hottest/sanitizing settings are typically the longest (ours is almost 90 minutes long).

Anyways, I was going to put the legs on the table, but the kids just loved playing on the table on the floor.  I have 4 kids aged from 1-9 years old and the problem with the height of the table is it is at a dangerous level for small kids, and those rods (especially the 2 man) can be moved quite aggressively and extend out pretty far when playing a competitive game...and of course small inquisitive children naturally want to see what all the raucous is all about.  Anyways I'm sure you get the point, so I may need to invest in a small kids only foos table for them...

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2009, 12:11:03 PM »
it can be trouble, you want to teach safety with the kids...when mine were little (they are 26 and 27 now) i built a bench for them out of 2x4 and plywood...it was as long as the inside of the table legs so it could be pushed under the table when not in use and it was about 2 feet wide...don't remeber the height so well, probably 12+ inches...just figure what the youngest will need to be at the right height to play

again, stress safety, its all a lot of fun until someone shoots their eye out :P

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2009, 01:26:03 PM »
Foosball.com doesn't have a storefront, but we could probably work something out.  place your order with Jimmie, I can get your parts from him when I see him (usually once per week, at least) and I can get them to you when you are in town.

Pat

Pat:

Hmmmm...  I have a really tight schedule for my next Maryland trip and I'll be flying in at 10am EST on Thursday December 3rd and flying out at 2pm EST on Friday December 4th.  I wonder if I can work out something with Jimmie to purchase all my parts online and then personally pick it all up at the warehouse from about 10:30am-11am on December 3rd?  Do you think he'll mind???  It should be a pretty significant order, which pretty much lists out all of bbtuna's suggestions (minus rods, which I will probably get from Charles) and probably some extra foosball doo-dads...  Does Jimmie have a direct email or phone number that he can be reached at?  Thanks!

Offline PatRyan

• www.usatablesoccer.org
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2009, 02:17:36 PM »
Jinhopark,

That window might be a little tight for him.  Since the foosball.com warehouse is about a 30 minute drive from his regular 9-5 job.

But maybe something can be worked out.  You have to return to your hotel sometime that night  ;)

You can reach Jim at jim@foosball.com 

Pat

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2009, 03:22:11 PM »
Pat:

Yes I definitely have to go back to my hotel...and would absolutely LOVE to meet up with him later in the night.  I am working until 8:30pm'ish that night, and didn't want to inconvenience him that late.  I'll definitely contact him before my trip.  Thanks so much!

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2009, 06:24:05 PM »
Darn, just got around to calling Charles about those Merkel rods...he said they are all long gone, until John decides to start making them again...  Says he hasn't had any for a little while now.

Oh well looking forward to my Baltimore trip this coming Thursday, hopefully I can find time and hook up with Jim and get most of my parts from him.  Although I probably won't be able to get any new rods and the side strips, might be a little awkward on my flight back home to bring them on as carry-on.

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2009, 11:29:02 PM »
Just purchased my first wave of foosball goods from Jim at foosdirect in Maryland.  I have to say, my boys and I are customers for life there, and they went above and beyond to meet all my needs.  In less than 48hrs they answered all my questions, bundled everything together and packaged it so it was ready by the time I got there to personally pick up all the items.  Extremely pleased with how everything was handled and I cannot praise them enough.  Major kudos to them and many thanks for keeping this very informative forum up and running.

My older boys can't wait to get everything together and start playing...

BTW, they even had a handful of 2 man Merkel rods...which as far as I know, no one else has them in stock...now if I could just find the other 6 Merkel rods in new or mint condition...

« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2009, 12:01:56 AM »
Hmmmm... I noticed that the wooden handles on my older HM2000 were much different than the grey marble coin-op that I bought, and obviously very different than the newest version handle that my buddy brought over.  Take a look see...

The oldest handle looks very skinny at the neck end compared to the other 2 handles...and the length of the 2 wooden handles are the same, but the newest plastic handle is about 1/8" shorter and much more rounded on the end.  Interesting design changes through the years.

I keep forgetting to ask about the newest bumpers...  You stated before that the newest bumper mold was a little wider than the previous version, which is why they decided to move to a thinner bearing.  Having said that should I have also bought the newest bumpers to keep the guy pushed out a where he should be?  I'm a little confused as to why I would need new bearings if I have the older thinner bumpers in conjunction with my older wider bearings?

Let me try to explain (I hope I understood everything correctly), would'nt the "older thinner bumpers + the older wider bearings" = "newer wider bumpers + newer thinner bearings" and have the same offset from the playing field side wall?  So when I eventually replace my older wider bearings with the newer thinner bearings, and I continue to use my older thinner bumpers, won't my guys be too close to the wall?  So the only way to correct this might have been either buy all newer fatter bumpers, or just keep my old stuff...  I am probably making this sound a lot more confusing than it needs to be.  I hope it makes sense.

Is it preferential, when playing, to have the guys closer to the side playing field?

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2009, 07:06:48 PM »
bearings and bumpers - the new bearing will work fine with the old or new bumpers, it is not necessary to change bumpers but as you need to change them, it will be best to already have the new bearings in place

they didn't do anything on purpose to change the play characteristics with the new half bearings, same inside, only the face of it has changed, but i would swear it made a positive impact on the play on my buddies table

with the handles, you are missing the plastic ones that look a little like the new ones but they were fatter still and they are hard and slick...easily my least favorite handle...i really like the new ones

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2010, 11:04:13 PM »
Well, from your described itinerary, you come VERY close to Jessup.  Jessup is the next town down from Elkridge, south on US Route 1.  From your Elkridge plant (doesn't matter where in Elkridge, it is a pretty small place), you are no more than 5 minutes from where we play in Jessup. 5 Minutes from Timbuktu as well. 

Let me know the next time you are in town, we can meet for some foos.  Are you usually in town only during the week, or are you in town on the weekend as well?

Pat:

I was just in town the past few days and I mentioned to a few co-workers in Elkridge that in the summer that I was planning on staying the weekend to play foosball on an upcoming summer trip, and they all looked at me like I was crazy...  One of them finally came out and mentioned to me that Jessup is known for their prison or something, and everyone started laughing and wondered if I planned on playing foosball against the prisoners.  They mentioned that there were only 3 things worth mentioning in Jessup, the McDonald's, the Starbucks in the strip mall and the prison which is across the street.  Unfortunately I couldn't talk any co-workers into joining me in playing foosball, but everyone wants to hear the stories of when I do play in Jessup...obviously everyone got a kick out of my story.

Offline PatRyan

• www.usatablesoccer.org
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2010, 10:02:57 AM »
Yeah, Jessup has had that reputation.  It (the reputation) is getting better though.  It used to be..."Jessup, oh yeah where the prison is".  But the area is definitely changing.  It is not a bad area.  Heck, it is essentially 4 stoplights along route 1. It is probably more well known for the HUGE truck stop that for anything else.  But now there are condos going up, nice townhomes, shopping centers, etc.  AND there is a location with foosball just North of "Jessup" in a poolhall now (we can call it Elkridge, not really sure where Elkridge ends and Jessup begins...  :)

BUT, if you are going to be in town around the weekend of May 16th, you could always checkout the Maryland State Foosball Championships.  It is NOT in Jessup, it is actually about 30 minutes north.  Lots of great players will be in attendance, and lots of foosball to be played!