Foosball.com Forums

Wrist burn

Wrist burn
« on: January 26, 2010, 12:23:18 AM »
Quick question. I've been practicing my snake shot to death over the past week (since I finally learned what a good snake shot feels like), and I'm starting to get some sore red bumps on my wrist from the friction. Is this normal? Is it actually possible to develop calluses on your wrist, or should I plan to eventually invest in one of those wrist guards I've seen in a few videos? I think the calluses would be the better option in the end, but I'd like to hear from someone who's had the same thing happen to them while practicing.

Re: Wrist burn
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 10:44:56 AM »
Yea it happends. A ton of players get blisters from shooting it. Just take a break, work on your 5 bar or whatever other skills you can while your wrist heals. When you think it is better try to shoot a few. How that helps!

Offline Will17

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 02:50:41 AM »
I keep a bottle of spray on 2nd skin with me... I used to have the same problem with blistering. Right before one of my first real tournaments I practiced really hard and blistered up. The second skin saved me. It is in a small bottle, costs $5 bucks. Just spray it on, let it dry, spray it on again, layer it a few times and you wont even feel the blister anymore. I was actually bleeding before I tried this and it still worked.

I posted this exact question and this is the answer that worked best for me. I also have friends that use the "rob mares" style wrist band. That seems to help a lot too.

Now my wrist doesn't blister anymore because the skin has toughened up a bunch, but for your situation the spray on second skin is perfect. Practice away.

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 07:36:31 PM »
lol, i've got a sore red spot on my inner wrist about the size of a 50 cent-piece and i've only been at it an hour or so. i'm hopin the wraps i ordered will help out.

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 07:43:33 PM »
i'm hopin the wraps i ordered will help out.

OUCH!  I can't imagine doing a rollover without a wrap of any kind on the handle...especially if you are using the older wooden handles.

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 01:39:07 AM »
oddly enuff it only hurts when i miss  ;)

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 03:00:31 PM »
I've noticed that too... in archery, they call that a "dry-fire", where you release the bow without an arrow in it. It's either due to that, or when it hits, you just don't notice it as much. :)

On a related topic, I've been trying to work on the pull-stroke of my snake shot (where you pull the ball first instead of pushing it, to make it roll towards you). I don't know if I've just been doing it wrong, but it seems that sometimes I'll roll over one of the main tendons in my wrist, and it's painfully sore for a while after that. How do I avoid this?