Foosball.com Forums

One Man Goalie

One Man Goalie
« on: February 18, 2010, 06:39:09 AM »
I am new to this board.  I intend to purchase a new Tornado T3000 Coin-op within the next (3) months.  However, I have been doing some research, and the (1) man goalie Vs the (3) man goalie has me scratching my head.  I started playing foosball in the 70's when there was only (1) man goalie with the large corner embankments.  I played in many amateur tournaments in the Houston area.  I remember my Dad use to refer to it as foolsball.  I understand the argument for having (3) man goalies, but it is my understanding that the ITSF has made a ruling to go with a (1) man goalie.  I am confused because when I look at the (1) man goalie tables, e.g. the Warrior tables shown in the attached video of the Hawaiian Open, there is no large corner embankments. 

My Question:  Short of re-positioning the ball with your hand, with a (1) man goalie and no large corner embankments, how does a player get the ball out of the corner dead zones?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxU2EfScRuo

Offline GeneT

Re: One Man Goalie
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 07:58:00 AM »
The corners are banked,  just not as steep as the old tables.  The ball has several spots where it will be out of reach of the men.  You have to reposition the ball, and do a ready check to start play.  I kind of like the 3 man goal rod, but we are foosball players and have to play on what table they set up.  If i was buying a table I would get the Tornado,  or you could get both,  the Warrior is not expensive.

Offline snake eyes

• Carpe De Foos
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 09:59:31 AM »
I have both Tornado and Warrior. There is HUGE difference in play between the two. As Warrior is a new to the market they are still ironing out issues with some problems. The ball return was one and the ramps do need some attention as the ball gets trapped out of reach of the back goalie rod (frequently) but the table also has some bright spots, The men are all but invinceable and the pins are everlasting!! I replace parts 10-1 on my Tornado vs. Warrior. The rods do not bend as bad because they are solid (bonus) less down time on maintenance = more foos time! I really like both tables but I am partial to my Tornado, It's what I learned on. I play singles better on the warrior just for the unbelievable ball control my 2-5 bar passes are much better than on  Tornado. Anyway sorry I got off the post topic, wanted to share some thoughts on differences of play style. Another thing thats odd is I shoot a Rollover on a Tornado and switch to a Pull Shot on Warrior :0

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 01:20:15 AM »
Thanks for your inputs.  It would seem inevitable that Tornado will eventually succumb to the ITSF ruling of a (1) man goalie.  Should I wait to buy my Tornado T3000 to see if they convert to (1) man goalie?

I live on Big Island of Hawaii.  I wish that I would have known about the Hawaiian Open Warriors Tournament...I definitely would have attended.  Does anyone know when exactly that this tournament in Hawaii took place?  Do you think that it is worthwhile for me to try and purchase a Warrior table from the Hawaiian Open?  I can't imagine that they shipped the tables back to the mainland after the tournament.  They must still be here in Hawaii.

Offline GeneT

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 08:00:34 AM »
I am not for sure, but I do not think Tornado is going to switch to the 1 man goalie soon.   Buy your table.       If you want to know about the Warrior tourneys try 

links removed. spam. sorry.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 06:44:26 PM by macfoos »

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 10:34:54 AM »
Tornado is not planning on switching to 1 man goalie for normal production...they will make one if they get an order and they will make what they need to ITSF sanctioned tournaments but 99% of the tables in the US are in bars where we play weekly DYP's and such and none of them are changing

if it ends up there is a movement to one man, you can always but a kit which is basically all you get if you order a 1 man from Tornado anyway

Warrior has more tournaments and more money paid out and Warrior is talking about a Million dollar tour next year...this means if you want to go to both tournaments then you probably want to have both tables

there is no comparrison in build quality, Tornado is miles better, not even close, not even in the same league...however, playability, Warrior is every bit what Tornado is -  some say one is better, no arguing Warrior has more control and banks better but difference in solid rod vs hollow and the ball is really just preference

I can say without doubt, it is easier to move fromj Tornado to Warrior then the other way

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 05:40:26 PM »
Thanks again gentlemen for your input.  I did contact the Sales & Marketing at the Hilton Waikoloa Hotel in Hawaii.  She told me that there were approximately 12 tables, and all of them were donated.  One table is in the hotel bar.  Two tables are in the hotel camp for kids room.  There were a number donated to local Hawaii schools.  And some of the tables were sold.  She said that Warrior is scheduled to come back to Hawaii in Nov 2010.

I think I am going to order my Tornado with a one man goalie.  I learned on a one man goalie.  ITSF is requiring a one man goalie.  Just makes sense for me to rekindle my love of the game with a one man goalie.

Long

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 09:44:36 PM »
only one tournament a year in US and only one event at that tournament will be one man goalie and only one international tournament will be one man

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 10:18:22 PM »
Long,

Get in touch w/ Mark Askey, he is a pro who lives in Hawaii and has quite a few tables. Not sure which island he lives on but I know he is always looking for more foosers out there. You can PM me for more info.

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 01:01:29 AM »
alaskan thunder - I sent you a pm.  How is foos in Alaska?

Thanks,
Long