Foosball.com Forums

Tornado Table - Black Light Project

Tornado Table - Black Light Project
« on: March 31, 2010, 04:08:56 PM »
I've decided to go ahead with the project black light table...and I am contemplating on whether to use the old "white" side strip trim pieces or update to the new "clear" side strip trim pieces.

I think the white side strips will look a little nicer with the black light shining on them and it will be easier for the kids to get the ball off the wall.  The little guys (heck even me sometimes) struggle with getting the ball away from the wall, especially on the near side wall where it is more difficult for the little guys to see the ball over the wall...if that makes sense.

There are a lot of benefits to the clear side strips though, mainly dealing with the banks off the wall seem to be a lot more predictable and more true...so I am leaning more towards the clear side strips, but then again this will be a novelty black light table mainly for the "kids" and probably will not be used for serious play.

What do you guys think?  Save the money and keep the white side strips for the cool glowing effect, or replace them with the easier bankable clear side strips?

I'll post up pictures when I am done with the project...which is still probably a month or so away...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 04:10:40 PM by jinhopark »

Re: Tornado Table - Black Light Project
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 04:16:56 PM »
I just looked at my side stripes which are white and they don't glow much under black light, the table markings do though.

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 04:55:59 PM »
I just looked at my side stripes which are white and they don't glow much under black light, the table markings do though.

Wow that was a completely unexpected result...  I would have thought anything "white" would just glow under a black light, much like at the bars...the teeth and whites around the eyes light up as well as anyone wearing white clothes.

I haven't bought anything yet for this project, so I was curious does the white Tornado ball and do the blue and green black light men at least glow under the black lights?  I imagine as the white ball gets dingy/dirty with use it will glow less.  Maybe there were some very good reasons they decided to discontinue making these parts...other than for lack of sales.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 11:02:51 PM by jinhopark »

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 06:07:32 PM »

Here's how it looks

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 11:05:11 PM »
Awesome pic...yeah totally weird how the white side strip and white sides of the table do not glow.

What kind of black light are you using?  I have a fooslight and I was thinking of putting in (2) 40 watt black lights...

Also, do you have the blacklight men?  Or are those the normal yellow and black men with a white ball?

Lastly, why are there so many views but only 2 votes so far?!?!?

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 02:59:47 AM »
I use two black bulbs bulbs instead of the fooslight.
I bought a fooslight though to put in a bar near me.
Those are blacklight men, the others won't glow.

If you take a yellow highlighter under the lights, that will glow also, as does tonic water.

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 09:43:14 AM »
Wow, so the light green men glow YELLOW and the light blue men glow dark'ish BLUE?  Or at least that is how they look in the picture...or my monitor colors are way off.

So I'll probably put it so the light green guys are shooting to my right when I am facing the table and my coin-op mechanism is to my lower right...just to keep with the same look as a normal table.

Weird about how the side strips don't glow at all...  I wonder if I could dye the strips somehow and make they glow?  Pretty cool about the tonic water...you could get creative and write hidden messages on the table until the light comes on.

Too bad the score pegs don't light up some way.  I wonder if I can paint them so that they glow?  I figure since they are wood, they should take in color pretty easily...since this is a fun table I guess I could experiment a little.  Anyone else have any cool/creative suggestions?

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 04:05:55 PM »
i'd keep the white's and get some blacklight clear or white and paint a thin stripe where the strip meets the wall. wide enuff to be seen but not wide enuff for the ball to roll on it. personally i'm not sold on the new strips.

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 04:58:43 PM »
Wow blacklight paint is relatively expensive...

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 08:01:44 AM »
I use two black bulbs bulbs instead of the fooslight.
I bought a fooslight though to put in a bar near me.
Those are blacklight men, the others won't glow.

If you take a yellow highlighter under the lights, that will glow also, as does tonic water.

I have another question about the blacklight...  Does the room have to be totally dark with only the blacklight on to truly be effective?  The reason why I ask is because the table is going to be setup right next to another table that will more than likely be played but with it's own fooslight with normal whitelight, so was curious if the "stray" normal light will hinder or void out the cool effects of the blacklight?  Ideally is it best to play on a blacklight table with the room pitch black without any light except the blacklight shining on the table?

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 12:53:01 PM »
It looks a lot better completely dark but I have a Bonzini next to mine so I typically use regular light on the Tornado now.

You might be able to set up something to screen the other light from shining on the table.