Foosball.com Forums

I can't afford a Tornado... What else is good?

I can't afford a Tornado... What else is good?
« on: July 22, 2010, 12:45:28 AM »
So the deal is, my brother and I are cheap college/high-school students.  We want a really nice foosball table and have been disappointed with the 48-inch used crap we just bought (and will be selling) for $90.

We'd love a Tornado but it doesn't fit within our budget, which is $400 max.  We probably don't have the time/skills to build one completely from scratch.

What's the best foosball table below $400?  We're considering a used Harvard for $120, good deal or no?

Re: I can't afford a Tornado... What else is good?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 04:06:24 PM »
"What's the best foosball table below $400?"

A Tornado. Yes, you can find a used tornado for $400.00 or less. I bought a sweet gray marble for $350.00 and I sold my Cyclone II for $300.00 which was a great practice table. It can be done. You have to be patient and vigilant in your search.

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 04:15:03 PM »
Where would I buy one for that much?  I live in Los Angeles and there are only three Tornados listed nearby on Craigslist: a $600 coin-op needing minor repair, a $550 Cyclone II, and an $800 coin-op.  It doesn't seem like the local market value is anywhere near $400.

Offline snake eyes

• Carpe De Foos
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 04:29:13 PM »
No deal!!! Harvard tables are possibly the worst main streamed pieces of *shist* in the world. You won't be able to pin a damn thing on it, the playing surface will bow and give everytime pressure is put on it. A couple things to look at::: Warrior=Awesome pinning, lots of control, should be able to get one around $300-$400 maybe less if you find someone that won it at a tournament and already has one. Check Craigs List I see them on there once in a while or contact Warrior directly from the website they may have some used tables. Don't rule out a USED Tornado Coin-Op, probly a brown marble (color of cabinet) they have made these tables for years. I bought my brown marble Coin-Op from one of our local amusement vendors for $250. Yes it needed some work but the playing surface was flat as Kansas and the inside of the cabinet was in great shape. Find a bar in the town with a table and find out who vends it, ask if they have any fixer uppers. I would mention a fireball table but I think since they are so new to the market about $750 for the ITSF model.  Good luck searching.

Snake

Offline GeneT

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 07:42:39 AM »
Call the ones on Craig's list and offer 400, ya might catch them on a day they want it out of their house.  If it says minor repair, as long as the playing surface is flat, the rest can be fixed.

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 10:59:46 AM »
Where would I buy one for that much?  I live in Los Angeles and there are only three Tornados listed nearby on Craigslist: a $600 coin-op needing minor repair, a $550 Cyclone II, and an $800 coin-op.  It doesn't seem like the local market value is anywhere near $400.
The gray marble I got for $350.00 was originally listed for $700.00. I waited the guy out, he got desperate when no one else made an offer and I waived cold hard cash and had a truck to hall it away. In other words, I GOT LUCKY. It happens. If you've got to have a table NOW, then yes, it is difficult to find these deals. All I am saying is that every now and then one presents itself. In my case, twice. Make an offer on the cyclone for $400.00. The worse that can happen is he says no. But then he's got you as a potential buyer if nothing else materializes and he needs the cash.

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 04:08:55 PM »
You guys were right!  I'm picking up a coin-op tomorrow for $400.  One of the players is loose but besides that it's in great condition.

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 05:10:02 PM »
You guys were right!  I'm picking up a coin-op tomorrow for $400.  One of the players is loose but besides that it's in great condition.
Patience is a virtue grasshopper!

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 05:11:19 PM »
the loose man might be the result of a broken/cracked pin. easy fix.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 06:42:59 PM by come back trail »

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 06:43:48 PM »
Oops, actually he can't find the keys for his table.  :-(  It's a Grey Marble Coin-Op, do I need the key to set it for free play?  If so where do I buy one?

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 08:01:19 PM »
Oops, actually he can't find the keys for his table.  :-(  It's a Grey Marble Coin-Op, do I need the key to set it for free play?  If so where do I buy one?
I got my gray marble key from a friend and had a duplicate made at home depot. You can also order them online from Charles Macintosh at Tornadofoosball.com or from this site.

Offline Owl

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 11:02:51 AM »
Ever thought of building your own? I built one for out of three quarter ply with wooden players on 22mm doweling, Masking tape is the buffering system, and the hammer it takes is unbelievable. I use 4'' goals defended by 1'' goalkeeper. and then play on a 5 minute timer per game. You get some great results and when you play on the commercial tables, your skills are really honed!
We play the English premier league at the same weekend the real stuff plays, plus the European championships. No cash involved just great fun.   

sirflair

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 05:53:42 PM »
link removed. spam. sorry     dollar for dollar best foosball table ever made!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 05:37:03 PM by macfoos »