Foosball.com Forums

Your story

Your story
« on: July 29, 2010, 09:40:47 PM »
I thought I was unique in my story about coming back to the game, part of it is, I suppose, but really a similar story to many of us "old schoolers". We loved the game in the 70's. Learned to play in a bar or student union in college. We thought we were good and maybe entered a tour tournament or two which focused us. About the time we figured we were ready for all comers it all died. Now 25-30 years later we are trying to live that long ago dream and loving it. How many relate to that and where are you now? In the last month or two I have beaten two on the top 100 in the country and am pinching myself, life is good,,, :D

Re: Your story
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 10:49:44 PM »
Well, I only started playing in '88, but it was Fraternity play on old school tables, Hurricane and TS, at RPI in Troy, NY. I was good, but I never knew that there were serious tournaments until much later. I wasn't even introduced to Tornado until about 10 years ago. After moving back to Florida for a few years, I went to grad school at UNC('95-'01) and got introduced to Bonzini. I played in a few state tourneys and did alright. I met some players who have been the bomb on Bonzini for a long time, Bruce Nardoci, Jimmy Little, Jimmy Paris, among others, and have been dedicated to becoming better ever since. That was 13 yrs ago and I'm still just semi-pro if that. One thing I've learned that is most important is I have to develop a great 5-man. The 5-man is key and will open up everything else in your game. I'm finally buying a professional foosball table(Fireball). Couldn't afford a Bonzini and not really big on Tornado. I think Fireball will be a good blend, and an excellent table for me to develop a 5-man, experiment with the pulls and rollovers, but also continue to develop my backpins and even my less professional banks for fun. I'm playing in a lot more tourneys now, and just had my first Tourney win, even though I was playing goalie. I'd rather win up front. Even if I don't though, I've really enjoyed the journey over the last 3 years especially. I've met some more great players, like Alan Cribbs, Pat Ryan, great guys, and Fuji Alberts, who even though he's a bit arrogant sometimes, I've learned a lot from. I've met a great young player in Robert Yates, who's playing everywhere he can and will be there someday. I'm starting to play Tornado now, so I think my games going to jump another level after another year. It's all about getting better. When I learned to enjoy that part of the game I became a ten times better player than I was before.  
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 10:52:14 PM by Anderson »

Offline marty

Re: Your story
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 09:13:55 PM »
 Yes about the same story for me started playing when i was 17 our so around 1978 played on T.S brown top got to be fairly good for my little corner of the world north central montana then around 1982 it just stoped here no buddy played any more then around 20 years later i noticed in a little bar here that 2 of my old friends from back in the day were starting to play a little bit and would drag me out on this old T.S brown top table well be for long i was hooked again had to buy a table i finley ended up with a t-2000 gray marble coin opp great table  but i have a hell of a time getting any old school players to play on it 3 man goalie wider goal opening , but am slowly getting them to come around i started having som dyps at this little bar and the last one we had back in may we had 8 teams  be for that we avg around 6 teams every friday it was a blast even the older crowd that never played would gather around to watch us play we are going to wate untell this winter to start back up again thinking hard on getting a fire ball table for this  over the 4th i went to my first ever foosball tourney in st louis  what a blast  on the shuttle from the air port i met terry rue hope i spelled his name right asked him what should i play he said you play every thing you can you should not be able to hold your arm up at the end of the tournament / well he was right by sunday morning
i was shot , i watch a lot of videos inside foos / and of course this week in foosball  and seeing these players play in person was like me being 17 again  as far as how i did well i got kiiled but i had the time of my life  did end up 7th our so in the dyp largely because of my partner Robin Ad*** he made me play another level  any way i love the game of foosball and plan on makeing a lot more tournys  sorry about the spelling and gramer   MARTY :D