Foosball.com Forums

Modified Harvard table - French style upgrade

Modified Harvard table - French style upgrade
« on: October 09, 2010, 10:12:47 AM »
We picked up this Harvard NXG table through craigslist in August for a song.  The stamp underneath indicated it was made in Oct 03.  Thought it would be interesting to see what could be done to improve it.

The original flat playfield (requiring three man goalie rod) was 3/8-in hardboard with a thin film topcoat:

New playfield base is 5/8-in MDF; bases installed for the ramps:

Sheet of thin luan ply was added and then Gerflex linoleum was cemented:

Corners were relieved in the cabinet to accept the new playfield with corner ramps:

Time for the "Fred" players to get new uniforms:

On the field with the one man goalie conversion:

Voila!:

Under cover (California Car Cover):

A fun project!

Re: Modified Harvard table - French style upgrade
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 03:02:43 PM »
This is Escalade Sports version of a Bonzini rip-off. These tables sold for $199.00 at Costco 2 years ago.
It's called the NXG model. Another class act from Escalade Sports/Murray/ Harvard/ Rhino.

AC

Offline PatRyan

• www.usatablesoccer.org
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 05:52:59 PM »
But with the upgrades, and a couple of good balls, this table should play pretty well.  IMHO

Great job with the play surface hootowls,  it looks good!

Pat

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 11:56:15 AM »
Many baby-foot tables sold or made in France seem to use the same basic cabinet style, leg support, rod function, figures, goal and playfield material.  I don't know enough to comment beyond what I can see.  I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?  It must be nice to have all those table choices as a consumer that market though!

Bonzini:

Petiot:

Rene Pierre:

Smoby:

Stella:

Sulpie:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 12:57:04 PM by hootowls »

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 01:15:12 PM »
I should give a shout out to MasKagaZ in France for help with our project.  Lot's of his nice work here:

http://hnoto.nerim.net/NEW_BABY_MKZ/baby.html

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 07:21:22 PM »
nice work, where did you buy the gerflex?

AVV1

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 08:59:17 PM »
I used to have that exact table. Put a good ball on it an it's pretty fun as I recall....

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 05:48:21 PM »
Hi, I just bought that same table and would love to do this mod. Where did you get the corner ramps, linoleum and how did you "relieve" the corners. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Scott

Looking forward to contributing to the site!

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 01:03:05 AM »
You can simulate a french game on it with the ITSF B-ball, but the major difference is the size of the men. The men on this table seem to be the same height as Tornado men or most German style tables. Bonzini men have longer legs, which makes one hell of a difference in terms of play. The rod is mounted higher, and the rods are also further apart. Also, the solid rods don't come close to the feel of the telescoping rod, and the ability to flex the rod to provide greater variety in your shots. Still, getting the grip between ball man and table is still huge and it looks like it could be done with that surface and that ball. I'm sure you'll get plenty of enjoyment out of that table, BUT it's no Bonzini. Then again, if you can get enjoyment out of a table costing one tenth the price, good on you mate.

Trust me, I KNOW! I have experimented with getting French style to work on my Fireball and I have done NEARLY EVERYTHING IMAGINABLE. I currently have a Bonzini rod mounted higher by creating my own bearings, and have even taken the actual Bonzini surface and created my own interchangeable practice mats. It's still different from Bonzini in that the Bonzini surface also has some give where as the Fireball does not. If your intention is to have fun, you have a great table. If your intention is to practice for French style play and Bonzini tournaments, you'd do better trying to find an old Rene Pierre.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 01:11:27 AM by Anderson »