Foosball.com Forums

2006 Handles

2006 Handles
« on: January 26, 2006, 02:33:00 AM »
Does anyone know if there are new foos handles for 2006 and if anyone knows where i can buy a 2006 handle or a 2005 handle?

Offline SumnerH

• No spinning, have fun!
Re: 2006 Handles
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 10:33:38 AM »
Does anyone know if there are new foos handles for 2006 and if anyone knows where i can buy a 2006 handle or a 2005 handle?

The rumor is that they will be using the interchangeable handles at the majors in 2006, so the default handle is no longer wooden but plastic/rubber.  The idea is that they have this quick-release thing so you can use whatever handles you want, so you just get a set of handles and use them consistently from year to year (and can leave your wraps on them between matches).

I've never seen these handles but I think Jim has, maybe he can share some thoughts...

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 04:28:45 PM »
Here is a .pdf link/file to a LARGE 3.5meg file... It's Phil Kennedy's  Foosball Quarterly which has a good article on the "quick change handle system".    http://www.tfbplus.com/foosq6.pdf

I only skimmed it.... I had "heard" that this is what was going to be on the tables for the 2 Valley-Dynamo majors... but I haven't heard if that is still a go or not.    (let me know what you all hear!!!)

My personal thoughts....
Good thoughts ----
--- "uniform handles" should get us out of the imperfections of "wobbly wooden" handles that were not drilled properly.
--- "neat" for newbies/novice "toy" foosers to customize their table.   good if you are into customizing cars, clothes, whatever.. or need the thin neon pink bicycle looking handles to match your kids gameroom curtains
--- "neat" souvenirs / trinkets to take home from a major event.... (ooh.. i got an official Vegas 2006 handle on my table at home)... (ooh... i bought the actual handles used by Billy Pappas on the pit table .. .and he signed it for me too)
--- "strategic" potential for experienced/pro "sport" minded foosers to customize and design some outside of the box thinking handles that give them a strategic advantabe
--- "no more" playing au naturel... and sharing sweat via soaked handles from some of the more perspirant proned foosers

Bad thoughts ----
--- "more" sweat swapping on the new standard default slick plastic handles that don't absorb the sweat.
--- Lost/Stollen handles - if you've been to a Bonzini tournament (uh.. recently, like in FL)... and in attendance are foosers who don't put back on the standard handles when they yank off their custom ones... it's an inconvience to those who manage to use wraps quite effectively.
--- Beware the "finger smashers"...  the sample handles i saw at last event were "longer", and "longer" in the direction of the table which "lessened" the room for your fingers between handle and side of cabinet.. so it has the potential of smashing little guys fingers --- or being used strategically to limit range of goalie guys.. so they don't jump "past" the whole.
--- Beware my new custom handles that are so wide.. almost tying my goalie and 2-rod handles together for improve single handled operation.
--- Beware the need for "new rules & handle governance needs to curb some of the strategic tricks deemed cheating.

later... JimW

Offline SumnerH

• No spinning, have fun!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 05:57:46 PM »
>>> or being used strategically to limit range of goalie guys.. so they don't jump "past" the whole.

That would be illegal, right?

Rule 17.3:
"3. A player may not place a tube or handle on the table exterior that inhibits the motion of the rods (example: for limiting the motion of the goalie rod)."