Foosball.com Forums

Coin-op help please?

Coin-op help please?
« on: December 30, 2010, 04:17:39 PM »
Hi all, great site. I found a gray marble coin op locally and want to go see it tomorrow. From all I've read coin-op is the way to go, but there are some variations. Can anyone identify this table with the photos the seller sent me? I'm not sure where to find model info and how to identify Merkle rods or other pertinent tell-tale quality parts. I have read through some of the advice posts, so I am semi-educated. Thanks in advance. Jack BTW I am a seventies returnee, can post some good stories later.

Offline Jeron

Re: Coin-op help please?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 05:32:52 PM »
It looks really really clean

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 10:28:37 PM »
It sure does. How much is he asking for it?

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 04:50:05 PM »
Stopped by to see it today and it looks just like the pics, very clean. Small 1/2" chip in the marble mica. It's got black leveler feet. No bent rods, some spare men, hardware, 20 or so red balls and tools. Coin-op works. 2200 or so on the counter. No bent rods, don't look like Merkels though. The only numbers I found were TKYHCCDA-201625  on a tag inside the cabinet, and the sn 201625 on the metal tag on the goal wall. Can anyone identify it or recommend it? Got him down to $500 from $700. Thanks again. Jack

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 05:38:33 PM »
That's a great price. I paid $600 with no tools. I live in the middle of nowhere and had to 3 hrs to get and the seller knew it. He was only willing to go down $50 on the price. I'd grab it before someone else does.

Mine is 200049 so this one is a little newer.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 05:53:06 PM by ibhappy »

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 06:18:35 PM »
Does yours look like this one? What year is yours and how can you tell?

Offline marty

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 08:06:59 PM »
$500  i'd buy it  my guess is its a 2005 our 2006  table  to see if ther merkel rods you got to take the handle off and look for a little in dent on the rod 3/4 of and inch down  some thing like that theres a good post on that very subject some were on here  still looks like a good buy to me

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 09:22:54 PM »
Yes, just like mine. I have no idea when it was manufactured and surprisingly, the manufacturer couldn't tell from the SN.

The counter on mine read 792. It has Namco stickers, so it was used in an arcade. The seller bought it at an auction a few years ago.

$500 is really a great price. The game play is awesome. It's really a nice table and I think that you'll be really pleased with it.

Does yours look like this one? What year is yours and how can you tell?

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 04:26:36 PM »
Picked it up today and I like it. Cleaned up nicely. Any guesses on the rods?

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 10:22:36 PM »
I'd bet those pictured are Merkel (not sure if all of them look like that)...they have that dull (non-shiny) heat treated finish look.

The only way to know for sure is to take the handle off and measure where the mark is.

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 08:11:12 AM »
Your table looks great!

If you have problems with the table sliding on the tiles you can get these rubber pads from this site for like $5.00. They work well and slide right under the feet and have a nice look to them.

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 06:38:13 PM »
Practice has begun and I'm really enjoying my table. I found I still have my long push shot. How come no one likes them? Now if my left hand would just cooperate.

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 09:43:29 PM »
great buy, they are 99% sure to be merkel if it doesn't say Product of Valley under the logo..the only Grey's that were partial merkel were the 30th (Prod of Valley) so it would be very odd if they were not merkel

on the push shot, the reason it has never been an accepted winning shot at Majors from the 70s until today is because it is really really hard to square off (or angle back in a 7 motion like on the pull) a 1/2 finger long 9 out of 10 times over and over...i've shot the 1/2 finger long before but not over and over...I have seen palm roll shooters who can square off better but you lose some control, some finesse, when you move to a palm roll on the same man (meaning when you do a pull kick with a palm roll the long can be shot 1/2 finger, or even dead mean 9 out of 10)

the only person Ive seen shot a pretty consistent squared off long with the wrist only is Tony Spredeman but if you watch him shoot it, it becomes obvious how hard it is mechanically to make this happen which is another reason it has never been adopted as a primary tournament shot

it is strange too since so many of us find our first shot is a push when we just start out and don't know nothin...I did and I know many more players than I can count that started out the same

I personally think, and many will not agree, that the start speed, and overall speed, of a push is better than any of the pull options and that it is one of the more natural shots, if not THE most natural shots (of the inline options) on the table which is why I guess so many beginners end up choosing a push

Maybe it has to do with starting sort of like a sprinter, ready, set, and push off…I know for me, I felt that way coming from a background as a sprinter…who knows, it’s a shame though that the wrist just doesn’t work that way and when you are pushing or throwing the rod away from you, its so hard to get out ahead of the ball and come back where with a pull, that is almost natural

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 12:35:12 AM »
On your push shot question its all about the long.  For a long pull, you're gripping the handle hard, compressing the bumper and hitting the ball at an angle back at the goal.  To compress the bumper the same way on the push requires a tight grip on the handle, something most push shot shooters don't do.  If you grip it that hard, you tend to lose your speed on the push.  With all the great athletes on tour, if the push could be done effectively, some one would be doing it.  Stick to the pull or the rocket.