Foosball.com Forums

Newbie question: 1 Goalie vs. 3

Offline fis

Newbie question: 1 Goalie vs. 3
« on: January 04, 2011, 04:41:49 PM »
Newbie looking for buying advice:  I am considering getting a foosball table for our basement, and while I doubt anybody in the family will ever become a tournament player, I do want to buy something that will provide durability and high-quality play for some time, and with luck have some resale value someday.  I have no aversion to buying used. 

Other than that, my only criteria are:
1) Wife wants a wood finish
2) 15-year-old son insists on a model with one goalie -- not three.  Apparently he's played on some different tables at school and finds defense too easy with three goalies.

Having searched this wonderful forum, I see lots of advice on models to buy -- most I've looked up with the exception of the Bonzini models show three goalies.

Or are they all customizable or do some one one goalie and some have three?  I really have no idea.  If it's the latter, what are the pros/cons of each?

Offline fis

Re: Newbie question: 1 Goalie vs. 3
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 04:46:54 PM »
Right after posting this question, I saw this link (http://foosdirect-store.stores.yahoo.net/stylesofplay.html), which helps explain, but I'd still like to hear your advice!

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 04:58:55 PM »
Fis, just to protect your investment should your son's interest die out, buy Tornado. Those tables won't lose value as long as you take reasonable care of them. Then there is the next reason, should you and your son want to get good, buy Tornado, you will be able to play anybody that is good. Buying a cheap table will never prepare you for a good player on a Tornado, just won't happen because Tornado tables are so precise in what works or doesn't. You came to this site and asked and I have no financial interest at all in your decision but I like to help grow our sport and I am pointing you toward the path that will offer the best result no matter how it goes. The thing about a 3 man goalie vs a 1 man goalie is pretty minor really. It's all in what you get used to but doesn't have that much bearing on skills and that is what you really want to focus on, not what makes it easier on a beginner level. I hope you both get into it and have a blast.

Offline fis

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 05:07:31 PM »
Thanks Old Meister.  Are the rod/men customizable?  Or if I buy Tornado am I committed to 3 goalies?

As for brand, I take the advice seriously, but is Tornado the only brand to consider (and if so, will any Tornado do)?

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 06:18:07 PM »

As for brand, I take the advice seriously, but is Tornado the only brand to consider (and if so, will any Tornado do)?

Yes, (No) , search around for a few minutes and you will find the answers...

Offline fis

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 06:41:33 PM »

Yes, (No) , search around for a few minutes and you will find the answers...
Honestly I have searched, but remain confused because the model names are all over the place (I assume because they have changed over the years).  

Clearly the T-3000 or Coin-ops are recommended as top-end models, but if I don't want to spend that much, then it starts to get quite confusing.  I've seen Sport, Classic, Elite, Cyclone, Cyclone II, Storm, Storm II, Hurricane, 25th Anniversary, Whirlwind, T2000, and F-5.  (I've also seen some recommendations on here for other brands including Garlando & Bonzini).  

Are the goalies configurable on the Tornados?  Somebody nearby is selling a Cyclone II for $750.

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 12:02:57 AM »
Fis,

I will try to help. This is a common question to a degree. When it comes to the Tornado, the next question is price. How much are you looking to spend?

Cheapest Option: Get a used Tornado Whirlwind. It is an "ok" table and is not very expencive. I am sure i am going to catch a little flack for this but, it is what i learned to get good on. You can get competative playing on it. It is not perfect but it isnt bad. Expect to pay about $200-300

Better Option: Storm II or Used Coin-Op. You can get one of these for about $300-600 depending on what you get. If you get a storm NEVER pay more than $400 personally that is a little high. If you look around Craigs list you can find a used one for pretty cheap.

Perfection: If you really want to get into it you can get a newer coin-op and they will run you about $1,300. But from what i hear you are not looking for this.

Here is the bottom line, where ever you go; to a bar, a touring players house, or just want to say that you have the same table the pros use. Tornado is the only way to go. The other tables are just toys. (Sorry Bonzini guys,  that table is nice but for me it is a toy, and yes i love playing on Bonzini).  

Have a good one! Let me know if you need anything else! Thanks!

Offline fis

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 01:22:24 AM »
Thanks Chase.  Very much appreciated.

Regarding price, I'll spend what I need to for something that will last, but was hoping it would be in the hundreds.  The lower the better obviously.  Should I take it from your response that this one isn't worth the $? http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/for/2142574994.html.  

Also since my son is hell-bent on a single goalie, can a Tornado be configured that way?

PS - Interesting.  I found a Tornado Coin-op listed for $600 that looks nice in the photos but it's 2 hours away. What questions do I need to ask to know whether it's in good shape before driving all the way up there?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 01:38:34 AM by fis »

Offline papafoos

• Good luck reaching me IM, I usually keep them off.
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 09:43:25 AM »
I think Tornado still makes a conversion kit for a one man goalie.  I'd try to get him to reconsider.

I got to play on the 3 man goalie before it was ever put on the market.  I thought McCloud had made a mistake, but once I got used to them, it's what I prefer now.

If he finds playing goalie too easy, you need to get him on the tour.  Goalies lead a tough life.  Getting pounded can really get to some people.  Even the best goalies get pounded occasionally.  It's a good lesson on life though.  Just pick up the pieces and play the next ball.

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 02:13:26 PM »
Fis,

Trust me on this, ignor your son. I know that he wants a 1 man goalie, But at the end of the day it is not a good table. Yes, you can purchase a conversion kit. Not sure where, but i have seen them. And NO do not buy that table. WAY over priced. I would offer about $400 AT MOST! or it. But it is not worth that kind of money.

Here is the thing your son is playing on a table that is not a tour table, and NO ONE plays on. If your son gets into foosbal which it sounds like he might you will want a tornado.

Offline fis

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 02:33:40 PM »
Fis,

Trust me on this, ignor your son. I know that he wants a 1 man goalie, But at the end of the day it is not a good table. Yes, you can purchase a conversion kit. Not sure where, but i have seen them. And NO do not buy that table. WAY over priced. I would offer about $400 AT MOST! or it. But it is not worth that kind of money.

Here is the thing your son is playing on a table that is not a tour table, and NO ONE plays on. If your son gets into foosbal which it sounds like he might you will want a tornado.
Thanks message heard, I will try to sell him on Tornado.  When you say do not buy that table are you referring to the first one (Cyclone II which I realize is overpriced at $750) or the Coin-op models (I found one for $500 and one for $600).  I thought one of those might be a good find.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 02:38:06 PM by fis »

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 04:01:11 PM »
If you find a coin op in good condition for 500 get it! That is a good deal!

Offline fis

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 04:47:37 PM »
If you find a coin op in good condition for 500 get it! That is a good deal!
It sounds like a good deal but I'm so new at this it's hard for me to tell from photos.  The owner describes it as "very solid."  Says he bought it several years ago, and it had previously been in a bar. 
It is described as including locks w/keys, money box, cover, and "original legs and hardware" with "good bearings" and "no bent rods."  Counter shows 8600 plays. There are some nicks on the legs, "several small ships on the outside paneling," and the head missing from one of the players.  The handles also look pretty worn to me.  Photos here: http://flickr.com/gp/ableman/54w604  What do you think?

Offline snake eyes

• Carpe De Foos
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 04:54:22 PM »
Fis- this table doesn't look too bad to me...yes the handles's are worn, it's a blonde so expect some wear. I don't see too many nicks in the cabinet and the legs look really pretty good considering the age. If you can snag that table for $400.00 that would be a great deal. Chase and I are on the same page with you here and I think he will agree on the price.

Snake

Offline snake eyes

• Carpe De Foos
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 04:58:14 PM »
The bars do look suspiciously rusty in these pictures...and rust usually means water, I didn't see that in my first look. check the playing surface out real well for uneven spots. And if those bars are covered in rust expect about $200-$250 to replace them. I may have changed my mind here,,,Chase thoughts?