Foosball.com Forums

Catching foosball fever... again!

Catching foosball fever... again!
« on: February 11, 2011, 01:15:40 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I am originally from Belgium where I grew up in the '80's playing on the ubiquitous Jupiter soccer tables. The past 11 years I have made Chicago my second home.

A few weeks ago, I played foosball at a friend's house. And guess what happened. My foosball fever which had gotten a hold of me in my teenage years, but which had laid dormant for almost two decades, had flared up again. I got the bug so bad, I started looking for tables the following days.

Without giving it much thought, I purchased a used Tornado table. I believe it is an HM 2000, but I am not entirely sure. I would like to add a few pictures to my post in the hope that someone can tell me that it is in fact a Tornado HM 2000. Also, if someone could tell me approximately what year it was built that would be great. (How do I upload images to my post?)

The table is in very good to excellent condition. I am rating it as 'very good' because I haven't played it yet with the right balls. I will be ordering balls and spare parts in the next few days. I plan to get a mix of balls. Probably a pink and red Tornado ball, together with a Warrior, as I have been reading in a few posts that this is a softer ball.

A few other questions.

I have read in a previous post that the HM 2000 model was Tornado's first table for the home. In that post that I have come across, comments were made about the quality of this table. Is it true that this table has some components that were also used on the higher end Tornado table of its time?

I am looking for a table cover, but is spending $75 on a cover making sense when I have not paid much more that that for the actual table?

I am looking for places and people to play in the Chicago area? Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

It has been a real pleasure reading so many well informed posts and comments. Without the passion and expertise of so many contributors I would have had many more questions to ask.

Thank you,
Michael

Re: Catching foosball fever... again!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 03:15:10 AM »
Here's a website you can check out:

http://www.chicagofoos.com/

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 09:32:53 AM »
We play in Darien (West of Chicago). At Q Billiards on the 2nd and 4th Friday of the month. It is a DYP. We have a good tournout. And we have one tonight. I will not be there due to a work function. But we also play at other locations, but it is rare. We have a couple chicago boards that we use. The link above is not bad, but the one we use most is a Yahoo group board. Seach: Chicagoland Foosball and you should find it. You do have to sign up to be a member. (Keep in mind Chicago foosball is FULL of Drama, but they are all harmless, and do not mean anything.) Let me know sometime and we will get this going for you!

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 11:32:13 AM »
Thanks for the info on foosball in Chicago area.

I am in Oak Park, which is about a half hour drive from Darien, so not too far. Chase, it sounds like you guys have a lot of fun. I will let you know when I can come out and play.

Now, if the Admin would be so kind to let me attach pictures of my table, then you could see what I am practicing on...

KM

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 05:13:38 PM »
If you are interested, there are a small bandit of newbies that plays at Mullen's in Wrigleyville on Monday's...get there by 7:30pm.  They have a wings special on Monday's...so check it out if you can.  Ask for Pedrom or Russ...

3527 N. Clark Street
Chicago, Illinois  60657
(773) 325-2319

http://www.mullensbarandgrill.com/wrigleyville/index.php

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 05:54:31 PM »
Thanks jinhopark! I know where Mullen's is at! You will see me there. What table(s) do you guys play on? Just out of curiosity. I am not being picky. :-)

KM

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 06:04:31 PM »
jinhopark,

I think I read in another post that you have a Tornado HM 2000. I think I bought one, last week. I am not entirely sure, and the owner was clueless as well. I am unable to attach images to my posts. Could this be because I am new, and the Admin needs to 'turn it on'? Otherwise, and if you don't mind, I will send you a few pictures of my table and maybe you can tell me if it is identical to yours or not. Let me know.

KM

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 10:05:08 PM »
<<<<< I am unable to attach images to my posts. Could this be because I am new, and the Admin needs to 'turn it on'?>>>>>

its already turned on ,it doenst need an ADMIN to activate it

post your pic on a website (photobucket is a good one) ,it is NOT possible to link your pic on your computer to the message board (it must be on an "online server" that runs a website ,or just connected to the internet and functions as a "server" with an IP address to the net ,so you must upload your pics to Photobucket or a similar site

post your pic on a website ,then put the URL on your message ,it should work

URL for the cupid pic:
http://i0006.photobucket.com/albums/0006/findstuff22/Best%20Images/Holiday/cupid.jpg

use IMG tags on the URL:
[ img]http://i0006.photobucket.com/albums/0006/findstuff22/Best%20Images/Holiday/cupid.jpg[/img ]

remove the spaces in the IMG tags,,,, pic shows up like this

« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 10:13:21 PM by deadbarfoos »

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 12:36:27 AM »
Thanks deadbarfoos, for providing the expert tutorial!

jinhopark has already confirmed that my table is an HM 2000. Because of the end ball return, it was probably made in 1996 or later. If someone has additional info, feel free to let me know, especially on the type of rods used on this table?

I have cleaned legs, cabinet, men, rods, surface, and she looks to be in really excellent shape, that is... cosmetically speaking. I am waiting on new balls and lube to start foosin' around, and to get a better idea of the condition of the play field.

jinhopark, I hope you guys have had a fun night? Let me know how it went. I will come to Mullen's next time.

Here are a few pics of my table:

Cheers!
KM

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 12:17:18 PM »
Enjoy playing in Chicago.  A lot of veteran and some new talent there.  From what I know and/or have seen, the best players are in and out of the Darien tournaments at Q-Billiards on a regular basis.  The 'burbs are home to multi-time World Champions Terry Moore, Don Swan, Don Chalifoux and Tiffany Moore, and numerous pro and master players over the years such as Chad Hansen, Don Becker and others. 

The location on Clark Street sounds like fun.  Historically, it's centered on an old North side concentration of good players and old locations stretching from the Century Mall at Diversey up to about 7200 north (Dennis the Menace arcade, who's ancient, giant Greek table is pictured in the Complete Book of Foosball).  This area was home to Jerry Knowles, George Petroheleos and "Dr. Bob" Thorud, and remains home of Pro/Master players such as Frank Kronkowski and Clint Gandy (both at last check, Chicago policemen out of the Montrose & Pulaski lock-up).  My sense is that if the word gets out about this new place, a number of old-timers who like you, have been out of it for awhile, will start to come out of the woodwork there. 

I haven't lived in Chicago since I graduated from High School (Lane Tech, at Addison and Western) but I still visit family there regularly.  One place I liked for awhile that's still there is south of O'Hare airport, called "Cuephoria" -- well maintained tables and a nice atmosphere -- but no one goes there anymore for competition.  I think it's just in an obscure location for most players. 

Tournaments in the Milwaukee area often feature the most stunningly unique and talented player in the world today, Tony Spredeman, and several other pro level players.  For larger events the players from each area are sure to show up on either side of the state line. 

As for the Chicago foosball board, it is full of "drama" and complaints about every little thing, but so are a lot of other state and national boards.  Best not to take anyone too seriously or to take offense by anyone regardless of what they say.  I've found the boards for other/related sports to be much the same (ex: table tennis).  What I will say is that in Chicago's old days -- and it may still be true of some older players there today -- there was a heritage of the hustle.  Everyone always played for money, and yet no one ever seemed to reveal just how good they were.  No matter who you played, it was always a close game and the winners very often attributed their victories to luck.  (Unlike Texas or Colorado, where the winners were traditionally in your face with how good they were.)  All I'm saying is, don't be too sure of yourself in playing Chicago players for money, even if they're not touring Pro/Masters. 

Finally, coming from Belgium you're probably used to a much different style of play in which sticky, pin-able balls are a critical factor.  On Tornado, you can do all the same things (except bank as consistently), but it takes a very different touch and you can't be as aggressive as you were on Jupiters with pinned ball control.  As I lived in Germany for some time (and also used to be Tornado's International Sales and Promotions Rep), I had the opportunity to play against many of Belgium's (and Europe's) legendary players, from current World #1-ranked Frederico Collignon to his mentor, Pascal Gressier. (Back in about 1978 or so I witnessed Pascal thoroughly trounce American legend Jim Wiswell in Open Singles at a $100,000 tournament in downtown Chicago.)  Quite an extraordinary collection of talent comes from Belgium. 

Anyway, I hope the next time I'm in Chicago that we bump into each other. 

Respectfully,
Larry Davis

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 02:40:28 PM »
Larry:

Wow that post you made was quite accurate in summing up the Chicago-foos scene...job well done.

KM:

Sorry you couldn't join us on Monday...it was a great time, but I stayed out a lot later than I wanted to on a work night and am still paying the price.  Thank God for Red Bull, Amp and 5 hour energy drinks.

There were about 8-10 players there, and about 4-6 new comers straight off the street that just wanted to spin the rods (they literally spun the rods).  It was all good fun.  We are planning on either meeting up on Tuesday's or Thursday's...probably will meet next Tuesday on the 22nd.  Please join us and bring friends!  We are all there just to have a fun time.

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 09:06:59 PM »
Larry:

Thanks for posting such an informed post. I am about to dive into the Chicago foos-scene, and will let you know how that goes. It looks like the place you have mentioned south of O'hare is still alive and well. Here is a link to their site. There is a gallery for pictures, but it is empty. It does mention foosball league or tournament in the text on front page. That is promising. Maybe Jinho and I will have to go and check that place out before we bring in the cavalry. :-)

http://www.cue-phoria.com/

Jinho:

Looks like you all had good fun. That's great. I am already looking forward to meeting you guys on Tuesday. With only one table available, did everybody get ample play time?

My Tornado balls and lube have arrived! Playing on a Tornado now feels like learning how to ride a bicycle for the first time. Scary. But great fun. :-) Very different than the Jupiters I played on. Just like Larry said, all the grippy pinning that you can do a Jupiter, is all possible on with a Tornado table, men and ball, but you have to be very skilled. I will get there again, but it will take time.

KM

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 04:48:04 PM »
Larry:

Thanks for posting such an informed post. I am about to dive into the Chicago foos-scene, and will let you know how that goes. It looks like the place you have mentioned south of O'hare is still alive and well. Here is a link to their site. There is a gallery for pictures, but it is empty. It does mention foosball league or tournament in the text on front page. That is promising. Maybe Jinho and I will have to go and check that place out before we bring in the cavalry. :-)

http://www.cue-phoria.com/

Jinho:

Looks like you all had good fun. That's great. I am already looking forward to meeting you guys on Tuesday. With only one table available, did everybody get ample play time?

My Tornado balls and lube have arrived! Playing on a Tornado now feels like learning how to ride a bicycle for the first time. Scary. But great fun. :-) Very different than the Jupiters I played on. Just like Larry said, all the grippy pinning that you can do a Jupiter, is all possible on with a Tornado table, men and ball, but you have to be very skilled. I will get there again, but it will take time.

KM

I don't think Cue-phoria has those foos leagues going on anymore...

Yes it was a great time last Monday.  Despite only having 1 table I think everyone played as much as they wanted.  I was there a good 5 hours, from 7:30pm to 12:30pm, there was a game constantly going on.  Also, when you weren't playing you were eating 35 cent wings and having a beverage or 2...plus you can learn a lot by watching and playing foos...so it's all good.  I hope to see you next Tuesday!

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 02:42:53 PM »
I just bought a  used jupiter table and wanted to put a picture of it on here .I just don't feel like messing with photobucket now. I was curious if anyone has seen these tables in the states before.

ok i messed with photbucket
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 03:42:41 PM by man caveman »

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 05:43:54 AM »
Yes,

I have 3 Jupiter EuroSoccer tables in stock. 2 coin-op and 1 Home model.
I have the electronic version set up in my home gameroom to mess around on. They are fun tables to play on and extremely grippy for those that like the pin control style of play.

AC