Foosball.com Forums

A new guy.

A new guy.
« on: March 06, 2011, 04:05:17 PM »
Hello all.

A few weeks ago I decided that my garage needed a foosball table.  Initially I had always hoped to have a few standup arcade machines out there (and that may happen yet).  My wife and I entertain a lot and I surmised that a foosball table would have more universal appeal to guests.  Against my normal protocol of researching something thoroughly before dropping money I went straight to Craigslist.  Found a Gibraltar table locally for 150 bucks and purchased it.  It's in good enough shape.  There are a few scratches on the play field that I did not consider a big deal at the time.  It is a ton better than anything I ever played at my fraternity house in college.  I liked the idea of one goalie as well, even though I had always played with three.  Admittedly the drink holders on the side sort of sold me too(remember, I played on cheap tables in college.  I was honestly surprised that the table was heavy enough to not move around while playing.  That's how low my expectations were). 

I did my research after getting it home and became less and less pleased with my purchase.  Sure it's solid, in good shape, and looks to be able to stand some abuse.  But will I outgrow the table?  Who knows.  I tend to become very entrenched in a hobby for a little while before devoting less time to it if not abandoning it completely (My collection of guitars and short wave radios can attest to this).  On one hand I feel like I succeeded with what I set out to do, which was buy a foosball table to play with guests.  Now I'm realizing that I probably could have waited around for a better deal.  In fact the following week a Storm II got posted locally for 250 bucks in supposed perfect condition.  And if it holds my interest I now realize I will want to upgrade down the road.

I suppose in the long run 150 bucks isn't THAT much money, and if I wanted to sell and upgrade I could probably at least get my money back on the table.  I'm definitely going to keep searching around for a Tornado coin-op (although those Fireballs look pretty sweet too).  I've ordered 4 Tornado balls to replace the solid white ones that came with the table, so I'm hoping that helps with some of the shortcomings I'm sure to experience.

So in short, hello. I have lurked here reading through threads since I had the original idea to purchase a table.  I have gathered a ton of information I wish I had before I went shopping.  I am definitely looking forward to learning strategy beyond hitting the ball as hard as I can toward the goal.

Oh and if someone wants to chime in and assist me in rationalizing my purchase of a Gibraltar table feel free.

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
Re: A new guy.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 08:48:41 PM »
Welcome to the board. You are on the right track, sell your current table and get the tornado. Even a home model is infinitely better than the alternative. Read some posts on here and you will learn quite a bit. There are quite a few good foosball sites. Try to find a tournament around you. Don't be shy just go and play some tournament players wherever you can find them. You will be amazed at how fast you progress.

Offline crazy8

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 09:55:18 AM »
K-Man...what's your 20?

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 10:23:47 AM »
Lebanon, TN.  I'm not sure but I could very well have the only foosball table in the county.  I certainly haven't seen any in the local bars.  The Tennessee subforum on this site didn't appear to have any action whatsoever.

My Tornado balls arrived yesterday and I couldn't believe the difference they made.  I have some semblance of control over the ball now.  Definitely going to keep an eye out for a better table, but at least the one I have will scratch the itch in the meantime.  Plus if I lose interest, which I'm very prone to do, I haven't lost out on much.

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 12:58:30 PM »
Also, could someone direct me to other popular foosball forums?  I notice other forums are mentioned here but not explicitly named.

Offline papafoos

• Good luck reaching me IM, I usually keep them off.
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 03:15:12 PM »
I would think there should be some decent foosball in Nashville.

The other forum http://foosballboard.net/phpBB/index

Offline crazy8

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 03:36:39 PM »
There is/was foosball in Nashville and I know several of the guys in Chattanooga and Knoxville.  Those last places are not close, but that's the way it is with foosball...have game, will travel.  Nashville used to have something on a regular basis - keep poking around.

Regarding the other foos-site - it's a little/lot more wild, but it's used more often by more/most players.  Just don't expect to learn anything about playing.

On that site - send a post to fooswizard - that's Eddie Mubaruk in Knoxville.  He'll know if anyone is in your area and probably whether anything is happening in greater-Nashville.

Paul

Offline crazy8

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 03:39:22 PM »
I just can't seem to stop posting...

You know - you are not too far from Huntsville - they have always had a lively scene.  But - you gotta learn to play first - right?  ;D

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 03:59:47 PM »
I appreciate all the responses folks.

Yeah, learning to play is top priority.  I've been spending time every evening out in my garage practicing various things.  Obviously that's no replacement for playing a skilled opponent.  I'm easily the best out of my circle of friends due to the aforementioned experience at the fraternity house in college, so I don't really have anyone to push me.  Hopefully I can come across action in the Nashville area.

I do have a question about tables though.  Right now my table is sitting in my garage, which really does not have any sort of climate control aside from opening the garage door in the summer time.  This table appears to be tough enough to withstand it, and I assume the same can be said for Tornado tables.  As much as I'd like to have it in my house I just don't think there's room anywhere.  If I were to drop coin on a better table, would leaving it out in the garage like that adversely affect it?

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 12:19:49 PM »
Moisture is a table's worst enemy. I have seen a garage-kept table go from being great to being unplayable in a matter of months. Now granted, my area of Florida is humid as hell, but I would be wary of keeping a good table outside...

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 01:23:07 PM »
Well that definitely isn't what I wanted to hear.  I really have no suitable place for a table inside the house.

Could be something I need to revisit in about six months, unless I come across an insane deal on a great table.

Offline crazy8

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 10:28:32 AM »
K-man
This is not too far from Nashville - maybe you could check it out/meet some folks...

Foosball tournament:
Farley's Foos-Frenzy! in Madison, Alabama on Saturday March 19th.
$400++ cash guaranteed for Open Draw & Open Doubles tournament events.
Signups are at 3pm with the draw to start at 4pm. Open Doubles is at 6pm.
Contact Tom Farley for additional information ph#(256) 682-4768.