Foosball.com Forums

New Guy Bad Experience

New Guy Bad Experience
« on: April 01, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »
OK so i go to a bar with a friend while on vacation in Denver were a few drinks deep and see they have a couple foosball tables...up until this point either of our experiences with foosball  has gone past aimlessly smashing the ball around the table until it goes in.  We run into a guy who refers to himself as "foosball steve" and he continues to spank us with no mercy for the remainder of the night.  Believe it or not I had never had so much fun getting my ass kicked in my life.  Him and his partner (also a league player) continued to effortlessly pass the ball around our players and score at will.  Encouraged by there skill we then tried to pass and play with as much control as we possibly could.  We eventually got a little better and managed to score a few lucky goals...The next night we returned and "foosball steve" was back, only this time he basically spent the whole night teaching us basic strategy. Being a huge soccer fan im convinced i need a table straight away.... He tells me that if I want to buy a table it has to be a Tornado....I get home and search craigslist and buy the first table I find in the the $200 dollar range....After bringing the table home and getting it all set up I find that this table is way harder to play on then the one at the bar....I didnt do any research on models or anything so I ended up with a crazy warped playingfield on a whirlwind with hard plastic soccer balls that fly off the men....I got new pink balls and this helped a alot but its still hard to get over the ball rolling with a mind of its own on diff. parts of the table....so Im in a tight spot because I dont want to be the jerk who lists a warped table on craigslist but it sucks eating the $175 i paid for it....From what I've read it doesnt seem to be worth it to try and replace the playing field on a whirlwind so i guess im out the money....Any how I found this table which is fairly close to me...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Valley-Tornado-Coin-Foosball-table-legs-included-/370466767031?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56418a40b7
any help is appreciated...sorry for the lengthy post.
AJ

Re: New Guy Bad Experience
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 04:27:45 PM »
That table has been for sale for quite some time.  If you like the table you might contact the seller to ask a few questions....then if everything checks out you might offer him $400-$450, $500 would be top dollar IMO. Good luck and welcome to the foosball bug..... :o

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 10:36:42 PM »
Man that sucks about that warped table, and that's cool that you have the integrity to not be the jerk like the guy you bought it from and sell it based on that major flaw...although I'm sure there is still value in that table.  To be honest with you I would buy a warped Whirlwind over a Sportcrap/Harvard table.  I wonder if there is a way to find out where the warp on the playfield is (find the low-spot), and if you could brace it from below to try and level it out?

In any event, a coin-op is the only way to go...so about that table, yeah it has been for sale a long time....throw out a $400 cash offer and see what he comes back with...if he's willing to sell it on ebay with their fees and paypal fees, and the fact it has not sold on ebay I'm sure he is willing to negotiate.  Here is his Craigslist ad:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/spo/2286900029.html

Factoring in everything that has been said he should in the very least come down $100...Personally I think if you got it for $500 you did pretty good.  I've seen people sitting at desperation station selling them in the $300-$400 range, but if this guy has been sitting on it for a good month or 2 then I doubt he would budge too much.  I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will tell you to "wait it out" until a better deal comes around, but to me I would rather just have it now and not have to troll through websites, deal with people, negotiate and go through that whole mess.  In the grand scheme of things, if you "overpaid" $50 - $75 and you got to play on the table now, practiced, have friends over, etc... Vs. waiting a few months, trying to save a few bucks, spending more time looking and not playing on your table...it hardly seems worth it, or in the very least its a wash to me.  A better deal will always come around, heck you should have seen the hoops I jumped through to get this Bonzini table from Virginia to my home outside of Chicago...then months later a MINT Bonzini that cost less in better condition pops up for sale in Wisconsin.  I saw the ad immediately after it was placed and could have picked it up the same day it was listed, but rather than be annoyed I was happy to have played on my table the past few months and then I proceeded to tell everyone I knew about how amazing of a deal that table was...needless to say the table sold quickly and everyone is happy.

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 12:08:25 AM »
all this advice is right just don't pay more than 500 for a Blond, that 500 includes over paying 50-75 as jinhopark mentions...my least favorite of the history...its not a bad table for anyone who has one I just think there are better but your area may not give you a lot of options...if you had a choice I would be looking for a Grey Mrbl...that blond looks like it will clean up and it will for sure be 20 times better than the mistake you have at home

its great that you ran into a good natured player who took time to help you and get you interested...foos is a great game that can give you pleasure for years and years and you can play top level competitive (if you want) well into your 50s - at least-maybe longer I just don't know because not enough first generation players have reached their 60s - 2010 Semi Pro Singles champ is in his 50s, I'm 54 and have beat him 2 out of 3 times we played singles AND im still improving after a 25 year layoff

so, welcome aboard and stick with Steve he sounds like the right kind of infulence to learn and there is a ton of that coming your way...enjoy and come on back if there is anything else we can do

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 11:36:00 AM »
Thanks for the help! I broke down and ordered a tournament table coming from the Houston tournament should get it next week!

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 12:00:44 PM »
ATTA BOY!!! Good decision IMO. So what exactly are you getting? T3000 I am guessing?

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 02:21:14 PM »
OK correction its not coming from a tournament but it is a T3000 coin op....hes selling me a new one for the price of a used tournament one....not sure how i feel about that from what ive read on here its good to get the used ones because they make sure they are perfect at the events....but as new as i am to the sport I probably wouldnt notice any imperfections anyways.

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 03:45:19 PM »
I would prefer new... shouldn't run the chance of a bent rod and should have a warranty!  Way to go! Who did you buy from... Charles McIntosh?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 03:58:41 PM by paperboy »

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 06:33:17 AM »
yea Charles...super nice guy very helpful

Offline fry

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 02:05:57 PM »
Charles McIntosh sold me a tournament T-3000 six months or so ago and I couldn't be happier with it. It is the nicest table I've ever played on.

He also always takes the time to answer questions in regard to maintenance and accessories. You made a great choice in going with him.

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 10:10:16 PM »
problem buying new from a guy who doesn't know the history of the tables is you get one of the early T3000 which have a couple of quirks like balls sticking to the side strips...otherwise, buying new is totally great

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 12:27:49 PM »
problem buying new from a guy who doesn't know the history of the tables is you get one of the early T3000 which have a couple of quirks like balls sticking to the side strips...otherwise, buying new is totally great
Does the early-model T3000 problem or quirk, sticky balls, have a straightforward solution?  Like upgrading the side strips or using some safe solvent to remove excess adhesive or something?  Everyone knows that having sticky balls is a major annoyance.. Just ask Mr. Schwetty (NPR)... ;-|

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 12:46:40 PM »
I replaced the side strips with no problem and the table is great.  I simply pulled up the old strips using a utility knife and being careful not to scratch the table.  Then with some rubbing alcohol and elbow grease, got up any adhesive residue.  I made sure it was super clean and then put the new clear strips down.  THey work great.

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 01:09:53 PM »
BBT, what table are you practicing on, again?  Can't remember which one you chose...

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 11:34:53 PM »
You should donate the Whirlwind to a Boys Club or a
 church youth group. I have an old blonde that I put new
Merkel rods, bearings, men, side strips, and handles. It's
 not the same as a new T3000, but it plays great.