Foosball.com Forums

Fixing bent rods???

Fixing bent rods???
« on: November 18, 2010, 12:31:45 PM »
I have several 1970's Rene Pierre foosball tables that have many bent rods. Does anybody know of a best method for straightening rods??

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
Re: Fixing bent rods???
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 01:44:39 AM »
u can't fix bent rods..you can sort of straighten them by pulling and yanking here and there but once they have bent they are never straight totally again so the answer is buy new ones

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 04:35:59 AM »
Scotdog,

Where are you located?
How many RP's do you have?

We sell new telescopic rods.
Go to www.bonziniusa.com

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 10:30:04 AM »
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but the question about bent rods always seems to come up...and unless Fireball starts making rods for every brand/model foos table out there then I think this will always be an on-going issue.

I have amassed a few bent 2 man rods from various foos tables...specifically on my 2 Tornado's and my 2 Bonzini's.

I know everyone says you can't truly straighten out rods by counter-bending/yanking/pulling, but I have a friend who works at a machine shop and he says he straightens out rods for car engines for rare/antique vehicles where replacement is not an option/economical.  He is a welder by trade and he says he heats up the metal and is able to "straighten" the rod.  He says in theory the metal is slightly "fatigued" so it probably is not as strong as it once was, so he would only use this for a restoration and not for "hot-rodd'in" the engine.

Although he says for a foosball rod, the consequences are less severe...for instance the engine won't blow and the worst that happens is you bend the rod again.  Another issue is the color of the rod may no longer be that "clean" chrome look, and it may have a permanent "blue-purple hue" where the metal was heated up...

I've got 4 slightly bent non-Merkel 2 man rods (which were replaced with Merkel rods) that I was going to have my buddy "experiment" on and see if he can straighten them out...if all goes well maybe I'll have him "straighten" out my much smaller Bonzini 2 man rods (I'll more than likely replace them anyways, but maybe I can use these as backups?).

Any thoughts, concerns or comments?

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 09:56:47 PM »
Jinho,  I'll try to describe what "helped" on the Rene Pierre table.  They were imitations of the Bonzini til they got busted, but that's another old thread. RP was the table of my glory days & we got some pretty bent 2bars playable ( thank God).  Anyhow,here's the process the best i can remember from 40 years back.  Let's say the solid (male rod). is bent with the apex directed downward. Slide the hollow (female) rod so that its opening is 1/4 inch far wall- ward of the bend therefore enveloping it. Gently push downward on the handle so that by leverage, reverse the bend. Stop,check, you can always add force but you can't easily subtract it. Better? now set the  hollow female opening about a 1/4 inch near wall-ward & repeat the gradual downward force on the handle in the exact plane of the bend. Retain the concept, but ofcourse every thing depends upon the direction of the bend.  It's as much art as science.

I can show you because sometimes i do mini corrections at home. Can you come over Tues April 19?  I know you often go to Mullen's across from Wrigley field on Tues.  That night the Cubs host San Diego so the crouds /traffic will be horrendous plus my 19 year old son has tickets & will be driving in the area- consider yourself warned. We start at 7pm & go til about 10 or 10:30 because of work the next day. If you're unable there will be other times.      John

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 02:52:19 PM »
I will
I can show you because sometimes i do mini corrections at home. Can you come over Tues April 19?  I know you often go to Mullen's across from Wrigley field on Tues.  That night the Cubs host San Diego so the crouds /traffic will be horrendous plus my 19 year old son has tickets & will be driving in the area- consider yourself warned. We start at 7pm & go til about 10 or 10:30 because of work the next day. If you're unable there will be other times.      John

John I have considered myself amply warned, and I will schedule myself to come over next Tuesday from about 7pm-10pm.  I'll email you for more detailed information!

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 11:33:30 PM »
 Jinho, Beautiful- Steve Schaeffer will be over too & I'll see about our friend Adrian etc.  If nothing else we can play 3 way cut throat which is under rated for improving both singles & doubles. Your home in Naperville must be only about 20 min from our house in Wheaton, just South of College of DuPage.  I'll guide you in. Oh, I used to live & breathe cork but if you don't have any ITSF B balls, You'll leave with some & i think you'll like the way they play.  Looking forward to a week from today,  John