Foosball.com Forums

Tornado Locked-in Cashbox, No Key

Tornado Locked-in Cashbox, No Key
« on: April 15, 2011, 12:45:51 PM »
i have a brown marble coin op where the cash box is locked in...lock says 90095 so i contacted tornado and they sent me a key, but that doesn't work either.......doesn't look like any key parts are broken off in the lock either......can a locksmith pick this or what are my options? thanks so much in advance, im not sure what to do.

Re: Tornado Locked-in Cashbox, No Key
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
Did Tornado send you a cabinet 90094 key by mistake?  Usually the key is stamped with the same corresponding number of the lock.

Coinbox key is typically 90095
Cabinet key is typically 90094

But it looks like Tornado is starting to use new keys, look at this:

http://www.valley-dynamoparts.com/product.asp?line=3&catid=18&id=491

LOCK W/KEY - ALTERNATE TORNADO CABINET

Alternate push lock usable for Tornado applications, key included.

If you dont care that this lock doesnt match the others, or if someone got "That key" and is treating themselves to free games or unauthorized collections on your route, this is the lock for you!

Part Number: 21200621

Price: $14.00

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 01:40:38 PM »
no i checked - the key even has 90095 printed on it and it still doesn't fit.......i mean, literally the cash box is locked in there and im not sure what to do.

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 02:13:02 PM »
Sounds like there is something jammed in the lock.  Did you try and shove a paperclip in there to see if something is lodged in there???

Worse comes to worse you could drill out the lock...because calling a locksmith won't be worth the expense, and these locks are cheap enough where they are easily replaceable.

Our maintenance department drills out file cabinet locks all the time, here is a really simple explanation:

http://www.lock-picking.net/BLOG/post/How-to-drill-out-a-lock.aspx

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 03:45:58 PM »
it looks like that is what im going to have to do if something isn't lodged in there....thanks for the help guys!!

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 06:38:39 PM »
i was wrong - looks like there is a broken off piece of key in there - any ideas how to get that out? can i drill through it?

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 09:55:51 PM »
i was wrong - looks like there is a broken off piece of key in there - any ideas how to get that out? can i drill through it?

You can drill through it...but my maintenance department uses like a thing piece of metal, like a tiny slim jim and can usually wedge the broken key piece out of there...It sometimes involves the use of a very STRONG magnet.  You can also drill through it...but I've never see a broken key piece that they have not been able to get out of the lock...unless it was malicious and the key never fit in there to begin with.  The tight/awkward placement of the lock may make everything a bit more challenging for you though.  They do make 90 degree and offset drill bits to get in tight quarters though.

Good luck in getting that broken key bit out...although if it is the right key that is in there, you should be able to use a small flat head screw driver and push/turn the key so that it releases the lock.  Once the lock is off and you can remove the coin box you will have access to the 2 screws that hold the lock in place and then you will have a much better vantage point to get at that broken key piece...or you can just splurge on the $15 and buy a new lock...or, if it's strictly home use only, not even replace it.

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 08:30:23 AM »
i tried using a flexible flat head screwdriver and turning and it didn't work.......couldn't find any 90 degree drill bits, but did find extensions, but they're expensive and not sure they'd fit in that tight space anyway......i cannot believe there is not an easier way to do this....how frustrating. Im probably SOL.

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 10:07:37 AM »
I have 1 of these Milwaukee 48-32-2100 off-set adapters:

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-32-2100-OFF-SET-Power-Screwdriver/dp/B0000224AW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302961932&sr=8-1

It's sort of expensive, but over the years it has been a true lifesaver the times I have needed it.  To use it as a drill though you would have to buy hex shank drill bits...but now that I am thinking about it, the drill bit might be too long to fit in that tight space.

Would it be possible slide a small hacksaw blade like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Cooper-Hand-Tools-80968-Utility/dp/B00002NB6B

Slide the blade between the coinbox and coinbox locking assembly and try and cut that short rod of metal that extends out?  It might take some time to eventually get through it though...I have a Fein Multimaster with a metal cutting blade that could probably do it in a 10-15 seconds, not sure if you have access to something like that (now that the patent has run out there are plenty of knock offs of those things too).

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 09:08:25 AM »
it looks like cutting will be the only option.....i'll check out home depot today and see if they have one of those small saws...i checked this morning and i can reach that small bolt if the blade is thin enough.

jinho, thanks so much for all of your input - you've been a great source of info!

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 01:33:51 PM »
Hey Floyd,

Not sure what you mean by "saw" but if you go that route you want to drill out the lock and then replace. I would try to not disturb the cabinet structure if possible.

This is unfortunate situation and hope you the best, but it seems like if you call a Locksmith it may ultimately be cheaper and easier on you then to drill out and replace. I broke a key off in a car years ago and they had tools that extracted it. Cost me $35.00 and they made me a new key. I would consider at least exploring this option.

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 04:49:38 PM »
I was thinking about this some more....if you have a sawzall/reciprocating saw, just buy a long metal cutting blade ($7?) from home depot and that should get you through that little metal piece.

http://www.amazon.com/DW4811B-Straight-Bi-Metal-Reciprocating-Cutting/dp/B000LG7QQ4

Maybe put some blue painters tape on both sides of the blade, so you can keep the blades contact to the MDF wood to a minimum...once that small piece is cut, you can just slide the coin-box out of the way and then you will have access to the 2 small screws holding that lock in place.

Also, explore John M's option of a locksmith...although I don't know many locksmiths that would roll out of bed for $35...plus spend gas/time and make a key.  Maybe search Craigslist for locksmiths or something???

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 09:35:24 AM »
i forgot to mention in my previous post that i had a locksmith try to remove the key on saturday and he couldn't do it after 20 minutes and breaking one of his tools.....drilling is not an option in that tight space either.....the good thing is he was in my building for another appointment so i was able to grab him for only $20.

Now the good news - the mini hack saw worked this morning!!! Bought one at home depot for $8. I was cutting through it this morning and it was going well and then the lock mysteriously popped out. Cutting is definitley the way to go as it would of cut through anyway. So it's out after days of frustration!! I'll obviously be replacing the lock, which looks pretty easy.

Guys, thanks for all of your help. You guys and Charles at Tornado have been great at helping me solve this issue. Thank you!!!

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 10:13:16 AM »
Great that the mini-hacksaw idea worked for you. although weird how it just popped out for no reason...now that you got the coin-box free did you find a boat load of quarters in there?

I would probably replace the lock, but I keep my coinbox out of the way...unless you are going to put it into vending service somewhere.

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 11:23:14 AM »
there were only a couple, but those were mine anyway!

yes, i think now i have learned my lesson that the coin box will not be locked pretty much ever again :)