Foosball.com Forums

Help with table identification

Help with table identification
« on: July 15, 2011, 11:26:14 AM »
Hey everyone! I'm new to the site but I've been around the game for a couple of years. I saw this table on Craigslist and am having trouble IDing it. Looks like a gray marble, no leg adjusters with end ball return. Also has the old "Tornado Table Soccer" logo on the playing field. Sounds like a good deal and the guy already promised it to me. Any thoughts? http://austin.craigslist.org/for/2493595729.html

Thanks a million!

Re: Help with table identification
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 06:20:24 PM »
Hey Bob...

... that's an HM2000 from 1996 or 1997 most likely...
... at 14 or 15 years old... the cabinet is likely still solid!   it did have counter balanced playing figures, but it skimped on the rods a bit (lighter rods than the TP2000 or coin op of the same build year)

New they were going for $650 to $800 in 1997....
http://web.archive.org/web/19970210064630/http://www.foosball.com/jimbo.html

$200 is a decent price if the playfield is flat and the rods are "straight" and "not rusted"...

Happy Foosing.... Jim

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 12:36:27 AM »
but it is a waste of money to buy a table like this when for not much more you can get a used coin op which will last the rest of your life even if it is 20 years old when you get it like some of the older Brown Marble (cabinet laminet) tables are but which are still GREAT tables assuming there is no serious damage which is actually kind of rare....read this and hopefully it will help get you started down the right track in picking out table....

you want something that can serve you well now and in the years to come so save you money and spend wise to start...this means spend as much as you can...if you can afford new, just buy it, you will never be unhappy you did and if you do that you the new Fireball tables become an option...i dont cover fireball in the post because they were NOT out when i wrote it and since then this site has changed and won't let me edit to update the post...

its a shame I am going to have to repost the whole dang thing

http://foosball.com/forum/index.php?topic=2704.0

let us no how it goes...basic thing to remember is - Tornado COIN ONLY (unless you decide on Fireball)

Best Regards,
Charles

Offline alaris

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 12:46:36 PM »
I bought the same table for around the same price because I am a Bonzini player who wanted to try out Tornado but was tired of getting embarrassed at the weekly DYP's. I needed some practice. I don't play tornado often enough to sink a bunch of money into a table so it was perfect for me. This table is great for people in certain situations. Maybe not for a player on the tour.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 01:29:22 PM by alaris »

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 08:23:02 PM »
i understand your situation alaris but your situation is different...you are a tournament player who already spent a ton of money on a Bonzini and you were just wanting something to give you the general idea of Tornado coin op play so you could transition quicker on Draw Your Partner nights

its different if you are a consumer who is purchasing for your home...as an example, you can learn how to play pool on a $100 Sears (which my family purchased for me when I was young) but it was not a well made table (I am being generous) and it was temporary...no one thought that would last...now if someone was looking at a pool table for there home, even if no one was going to play in tournaments, I would NEVER recommend the cheap Sears table

lots of reasons, one is it is throw away money, the table will not last...second if you or someone else in the fam decides they are serious they are at a distinct disavantage, and finally the resale isn't as good

in this case, if someone is willing to spend 200 to buy a table, for 150-300 more they can get a table that not only plays as well as the "Pros" table, it IS the "Pros" table...it will last a lifetime (literally), and if the fit hit him he could place it on site somewhere and pick up a few bucks, and the table will never be worth less that the 350-500 they paid for it now

plus I have played on the "lessor" Tornado tables and I could not in good consious reccomend them, even to a Bonzini player  ;)  only acception is the earliest Brwn Mrbl home model which is super sturdy well made thing or the Cyclone or F5 (cyclone replacement) but even then, I wouldn't buy one because for the money you have to pay to get them, you could own a coin op so I have always been consistent about recommending coin ops, its the best table and you can get the best deal

i think the rinky dink cheap foosball tables sold by Walmart and others have made people think they can get a foosball table for a couple hundred bucks but that really you can get a cheap replica of a table for a couple hundred....think about it like buying a pool table, no ones thinking they are getting a good pool table for 200 bucks unless a freind is dumping theirs and practically giving it to you just to haul it out of their basement

i say, man up, spend a few bucks and get yourself something to be proud of that can last you and your family the rest of your life and if someone catches the fever, they have a serious table to study and learn the game around

bbt

Offline alaris

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 03:20:41 AM »
Hey now,  I've gone to a few Tornado tourneys  ;)  I agree with you and if I played more I would have bought a better table. Mine does well for its purpose but sadly it doesn't get enough play living here in Bonzini land. Hope to get to see you at NC State. :)

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 08:47:45 AM »

Hi Bob,

I bought a home model tornado a year ago and it has not fallen apart or turned to dust yet. Playing surface is still flat rods are not bent and it was used when i got it. I have replaced one man and it is the same men as on the coin-op.  I say look at the table and decide if it will work for you.   

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 08:00:45 PM »
Love all the posts.  Looking to get a table.  Would like something that plays and holds up well, but keeps its value.  Besides a used Tornado coin-op, is a Fireball worth considering.  If so, which model and where's the best place to get a good price because the used market is likely limited.  I will likely keep saving and combing craigslist.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 11:22:14 PM by Slimwa »