Foosball.com Forums

ATTN: USTSF - Idea for getting tables in front of kids

ATTN: USTSF - Idea for getting tables in front of kids
« on: July 18, 2011, 11:33:30 PM »
Here's what I've been referring to as the "Craigslist Initiative"...

If you check craigslist in almost any area you'll find lots of foosball tables for sale in a wide range of prices, styles and brands. While there are usually a number of top line tables like Tornado, most seem to be the types like Carrom, SportCraft and Harvard that you normally find at your various big box retailers.

If you check the listings on a regular basis, you'll also find that most of these tables remain unsold even though they may be priced very low. The bottom line is that there are many tables sitting in basements and rec rooms not getting used. I think there's a way to take advantage of that situation that benefits the seller and benefits foosball even more.

This is where the USTSF comes in. I suggest a program that takes advantage of the non-profit status of the USTSF as well as whatever state network that remains in place to do the following:

- Utilize local players/promoters/enthusiasts (who we will refer to as "table agents") to monitor their local CL ads for individuals selling tables. Really any brand or style is acceptable provided they are in decent playable condition.

- When the agent finds a suitable candidate, they contact the seller and ask if they'd be willing to donate the table and receive a tax deduction. Any tax experts, help me out here... perhaps even deduct the full retail price of the table?

- These donated tables are then placed in a variety of locations; Boys & Girls Clubs, local rec centers, schools, etc.

An additional priority here is to have the local agent(s) follow up with the receiving location to provide them with instruction and maintenance assistance for a certain amount of time.

While this program may not provide locations with top-of-the-line tournament caliber tables, any moderate-quality table will provide a great introduction to foosball. Make that donated SportCraft the gateway drug to full-blown foosball addiction.

That's the basic outline. There certainly would be some preliminary groundwork to do beforehand and some details to work out but right now I can't think of a better, low cost way to get foosball tables in front of kids.

The floor is open.

(In no way affiliated with Fireball) Brad

Offline alaris

Re: ATTN: USTSF - Idea for getting tables in front of kids
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 12:47:43 AM »
Wow, Very good idea! Getting the kids playing no matter the table...hooked on foos and not drugs. I like it! :)

Offline BradLaurine

• Fireball Table Soccer
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 01:54:35 AM »
Okay, how about we take the USTSF out of the picture and put in a large corporation that might like the idea and arrange to place logos on the sides.
That Corporation has more resources and leverage to apply a campaign. USTSF is slightly under staffed. Maybe if USTSF wanted to approach these corp. instead of trying to tackle this size of endeavor it would not require as much time. 99% less...
I will approach one. How about the rest of us? If we all do one, we will knock on 2 or 3 doors this way.

I will try right now.

Brad Laurine
Completely affiliated with Fireball
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 01:57:07 AM by BradLaurine »

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 08:10:24 AM »
Okay, how about we take the USTSF out of the picture and put in a large corporation that might like the idea and arrange to place logos on the sides.
That Corporation has more resources and leverage to apply a campaign. USTSF is slightly under staffed. Maybe if USTSF wanted to approach these corp. instead of trying to tackle this size of endeavor it would not require as much time. 99% less...
I will approach one. How about the rest of us? If we all do one, we will knock on 2 or 3 doors this way.

I will try right now.

Brad Laurine
Completely affiliated with Fireball

You have missed the point entirely. BTW, I noticed you capitalized corporation. That's a religious thing, right?  ;)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 09:45:27 AM by TSR_Brad »

Offline PatRyan

• www.usatablesoccer.org
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 10:30:40 AM »
Brad (Mr. Fireball, not the other Brad),

Would a large corporation really want to be associated with a variable product, even with logo placement.  The potentially free tables on craiglist are in varying conditions, and of variable quality, across many different brands.  I think Mr. TSR Brad's idea was to actually get existing players involved in ...wait for it....new player development!  AND, the people advertising on craiglist could actually get a charitable contribution deduction for their taxes, for a table that might have otherwise ended up in a dumpster!  This could be a win-win-win situation.  The craiglist advertiser wins with a charitable contribution deduction for something that is not worth much to him (more than he would have gotten had the table sold)....the location that gets the table wins, they get a free table that someone else delivers and sets up, gets clean, and maybe does a little demo (potential follow up as well)....the volunteer player that delivers and sets up the table gets that warm and fuzzy feeling from helping out a community organization, and the people it serves, as well as potentially helping to develop new players. 

And to TSR Brad, no you would probably NOT get the full, new, retail value of the table as a charitable contribution deduction(unless the table was in "like new" condition).  But you would get more of a deduction value than you would a sale price.

Pat Ryan

Completely affiliated with the USTSF

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 08:20:49 PM »
I already mentioned this to Brad(Fireball) but think the idea bears repeating, how about these coffee houses that the young people gather at? Their all hopped up on high test coffee and visiting anyway. A table in the back with tables around and some good music, why not? They could even have a foosball special where you get a free game with your mocha,,, ;D   A Starbucks sponsorship would be killer!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 08:22:59 PM by Old Meister »

Offline BradLaurine

• Fireball Table Soccer
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 10:10:47 PM »
OM, you’re on the money. I would love to get the contract.
Skinning the tables and making them look great would be a graphic artist wet dream.

TSR_Brad... I get the concept. I don't buy into the rather larger and far more daunting task of organization said Players. Dare I say... You don't get the economics required to fuel such an endeavor. Dare, I say it... I told you not to dare me... lol love you too Brad 8)
I completely agree with the thought.
Do you really think Players in the AREA are going to go out of their collective way and jump on this?
Brad, you know them as well as the next Brad that will not be this civic oriented.

Using the USTSF and its tax deduction angle is wonderful. Where is the payoff for USTSF? Who with in that group has the time, resources and ability to implement this charitable platform?

Pat, you can best tell us what you and your group has for assets to put into place to organize this wonderful grassroots based concept.

Gentleman, I see a wonderful future for growth in Foosball. Once the Distributors of our game is out of the picture... along with the tragic events of hiring Greg Elliott to run T's events and leagues.

Great discussion,

Brad Laurine, Fireball baby!

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 12:03:12 AM »
BL, this isn't a difficult concept to grasp. This could be a program made available via USTSF to any interested parties. There are virtually no costs involved other than printing out whatever document(s) necessary to give to the table donor for their taxes and maybe a little gas money to pick up and deliver the table. There is no organizing necessary... all it would take is one or two individuals in a given area with a little initiative and desire to help.

Go back and read Pat's reply. He sums up the benefits quite nicely.

And unfortunately, I see a rather dim future for foosball without some serious efforts to introduce the game to a new generation of players. Giving away free package deals to tournaments people will never attend, or pimping some new brand of table to the same old crowd won't do anything except allow a continuation of foosball's slide into the abyss.

Offline BradLaurine

• Fireball Table Soccer
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 01:26:13 AM »
BA, I grasp the concept and I applaud the thought. I said, I can't buy into it.
USTSF Vs assets. That means time, man power and funds. Assets is not strictly monies.

USTSF has a tiny amount of time, tiny amount of man power and very little operating budget.

If Pat can set this up across the nation and get the ball rolling, I am sure someone in an area will try and make this happen. I hope Pat does move forward on this. I hope Pat sees this as the best opportunity to advance the Foosball group, well into the future.

I just don't buy it.

USTSF would be best suited to advancing the sport if it became more financially stable first and socially minded second. Unless the government wants to bankroll yet another social program.

To the Gods of the Corp. World, I bow in your presents.
Table sales of a known (to all) company. 2008 this company sold almost 3000 tables. Lessen than 250 of these where of the Coin model type. Approximately 97% of all table sales were NONE Players that play at regular events. Sportcraft, the largest seller in America sells 100% to none tour players.  I'm I pimping to the players or to the general public? Fireball is selling a good product that the average person can play easier. Will this help Foosball, I think so.

Brad Laurine

Offline alaris

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 01:41:14 PM »
Giving away free package deals to tournaments people will never attend

I know that one all too well. Tried to give my free package back  ( right after I won it-- not days or weeks later)  because I couldn't use it and maybe someone else could. It was not allowed.  That just seemed strange to me and defeating the purpose.

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 06:04:16 PM »
I love this idea TSR_Brad!

Here's what I've been referring to as the "Craigslist Initiative"...

If you check craigslist in almost any area you'll find lots of foosball tables for sale in a wide range of prices, styles and brands. While there are usually a number of top line tables like Tornado, most seem to be the types like Carrom, SportCraft and Harvard that you normally find at your various big box retailers.
- Utilize local players/promoters/enthusiasts (who we will refer to as "table agents") to monitor their local CL ads for individuals selling tables. Really any brand or style is acceptable provided they are in decent playable condition.
- When the agent finds a suitable candidate, they contact the seller and ask if they'd be willing to donate the table and receive a tax deduction. Any tax experts, help me out here... perhaps even deduct the full retail price of the table?
- These donated tables are then placed in a variety of locations; Boys & Girls Clubs, local rec centers, schools, etc.
That's the basic outline. There certainly would be some preliminary groundwork to do beforehand and some details to work out but right now I can't think of a better, low cost way to get foosball tables in front of kids.

... chances are that SOMEONE in your local foos group knows-of or is affiliated-with a youth club/hangout/location that would love the idea of a foos table.

Feel free to post here of a LOCATION that wants or is in need of a table for the kids... We have some expert Craigslisters on here that might help you search for a table/deal.   It doesn't seem to need to have that much overhead to get a few unused tables moved into the hands of some kids that might get the foos fever!   USTSF should be able to help with receipts -as- I know PatRyan was getting a receipt ready for LarryDavis who is in fact doing this locally!  (Thanks to Kitty for finding an awesome location for Larry's black top TS table!). 

Thanks for posting the idea BradA!  I'll push the challenge to all that read this!  If not you... then chances are you know the perfect person in your circle of foosers that would be ideal for this.   Talk it up!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 06:08:08 PM by JimWaterman »

Offline alaris

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 03:53:22 PM »
I'm the manager of programs for the Fairfax County Park Authority in Fairfax, VA near Washington DC.  I oversee the Rec-PAC program, a summer program especially reaching low-income and diverse children. Over 5,000 children each summer attend one of our 50 camps, and many pay only a token co-pay amount.

For many years the centerpiece of our Rec-PAC site play rooms has been foosball.  Kids love to play, but our budget has been slashed and the tables are falling apart.  We have taped, nailed and duct-taped what we can.  I am hoping to find foosball contacts--persons with friends at manufacturers, access to extra tables--who might be willing to donate used, servicable tables to our summer program. We don't need fancy, just ones that work.

If you can help us contact manuafacturers, associations or anyone who would like to see foosball continue to brighten the lives of kids in one of the largest single summer programs in the Washington DC area, please let me know.  Thank you!

John Berlin
Program Branch Manager
Fairfax County Park Authority