Foosball.com Forums

Rene Pierre 14mm and 15mm difference

Rene Pierre 14mm and 15mm difference
« on: July 21, 2011, 09:14:34 AM »
Looking at picking up a 70's RP coin-op.  From pics it appears to be in very good condition.  My concern is of course bent rods.  Googling and reading as much as possible I see that the 14mm Bonzini rods may be used in some cases.  From the pics the table surface is green so I'm hopeful that it has 14mm rods.  But how or where do you measure to be sure?  Is it the Outside diameter of the rod best measured by removing a handle?  Or is it some other measurement?  Also if it is 15mm can the entire rod assembly be changed to 14mm?  In otherwords are the bearing mounting holes on the table the same for 14mm or 15mm?

Lastly, I know it has mismatched handles....What did the original RPs come with?  The black plastic handles or wood?

Re: Rene Pierre 14mm and 15mm difference
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 03:11:42 PM »
The more I read and research I wonder if I'm better off holding out for a good deal on a newer Bonzini?  I'm in NC so they seem to pop up more frequently here....I just have a fond memory of my RP playing days 20 years ago....but I'm thinking to restore an RP back to original will end up costing me more than finding a good deal on a Bonzini.....Thoughts?

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 08:46:08 AM »
Well Robert....If it were me I would take a little more time and find a Bonzini locally. As you know you are in the "hotbed" to be able to find them. It may take a bit of time to get the right deal on a Bonzini but would likely be worth it compared to Rene Pierre.

I am sure others will give more imput, I have only played on 2 RP tables and I can tell you the quality of a Bonzini is much higher. If you have to put money and time into this RP then I would say wait and keep looking. Another big factor...Bonzini is played in your area so if you become inclined to play DYPs or tournaments you will have the right table from the beginning.

Offline PatRyan

• www.usatablesoccer.org
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 10:16:58 AM »
speaking of tournaments on Bonzini, there is one this weekend in Raleigh.  Friday night and Saturday, lots of competition!  If you are not too far away, you should come by and check it out!   It is being hosted by the Powerkick Foosball group, and being held at Fat Daddy's, on Glenwood Ave.   Maybe I'll see you there!

Pat Ryan

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 06:25:09 PM »
There are still French foosball manufacturers that use 15mm rods.  However, by the time you buy 8 of them and ship them over it would be 1/2 the cost of a good used table.  If you're in NC then try Brady Distributing out of Charlotte.  I know people who have had luck calling game vendors.

Good luck!

John

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 07:54:38 PM »
speaking of tournaments on Bonzini, there is one this weekend in Raleigh.  Friday night and Saturday, lots of competition!  If you are not too far away, you should come by and check it out!   It is being hosted by the Powerkick Foosball group, and being held at Fat Daddy's, on Glenwood Ave.   Maybe I'll see you there!

Pat Ryan

Pat, I was on my way there Friday Night!!  Then my car's radiator fan broke and started overheating....by the time I got it fixed, it was well past 9 :-(.  I definitely plan on trying again in the coming weeks.  However, not having played for 20 years, I'll be more of a watcher than a player right now :)

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 07:55:44 PM »
Thanks for the info John....I think you're right....I should hold out for a Bonzini.