Foosball.com Forums

Steve is now Mr.Steve had computer trouble

Offline MR.STEVE

• slowhand
Steve is now Mr.Steve had computer trouble
« on: July 14, 2008, 01:37:51 PM »
Had to start from scratch lost my hero member statis so im back..

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
Re: Steve is now Mr.Steve had computer trouble
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 09:49:11 PM »
Had to start from scratch lost my hero member statis so im back..

Sorry bout that!  Maybe you can try one of those new Online, off-site backup services?  They sell 'em nowadays with new PCs and Macs.  My work is a Dell Gold Dealer as well as a Microsoft/Linksys/Cisco/HP/NetGear/ Partner.  Oh yeah, D-Link and Juniper Networks, too!  We do our best to have our clients' new PCs, since they're mostly online nowadays, use these services to always be backing up any data that's changed regularly and whenever the machine's idle, to the now-affordable offsite server.  This is usually a storage "farm" in some big building somewhere in a former mushroom cavern or missile silo, where your encrypted data is constantly updated.  After a crash or bad virus/spyware attack, you can pick (even with several tries with multiple "restore points") how far back you wish to go, and keep on hummin'.

And these offsite online services can keep your data clean and popups & virus/spyware free with really good but expensive software that single users can't really afford.  The best antivirus/antispyware programs are also those that are constantly updated online, like avast!(russian-czech) or TrendMicro(japanese-euro) or Kaspersky(former blackhat hackers).  Panda(Spain-California) used to be really good, but they're having control probs lately.

Keep away from single user versions of Symantec or McAfee or NAV, which have really kickass corporate versions that win many awards, but have bloated single user versions that are pretty crappy and really slow your machine down.  What's the use of getting well-protected by Norton or McAfee from viruses and spyware and adware, but then these companies have hundreds of other products and they actually spam you with their own adware and promotions every time you update??

Offline MR.STEVE

• slowhand
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 10:52:56 PM »
We have 12 year old gateway I want to shoot it with my 44 that would give me some fun

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 11:24:11 PM »
Too bad!  You missed our promotion.

We let folks come buy a replacement miniTower for $349.00:
(Just the box, no monitor or other stuff, but usually 10-20 times faster than their old machine, with a hell of a lot more memory and hard drive space, of course)

And bring their old machines like your Gateway to the back of the shop, where there's an intracoastal (think big flowing canal 50 feet wide).  Some shot their machines with a shotgun, most preferred the sledgehammer or the kerosene and matches.  Free burgers and dogs all around.

Offline MR.STEVE

• slowhand
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 12:00:57 AM »
That sounds like a good plan I am all for haveing a good old pc burning party.