Foosball.com Forums

Italian Foosball?

Italian Foosball?
« on: November 08, 2011, 09:14:56 PM »
I am a rookie fooser only been playing about 2 years. I play on a Tornado table with American rules; however, I recently whent to Italy and I played Foosball with my Italian friend. And they got some weird Foosball rules where you can only score by banking and you can't do passes not the mention the table we played on was terrible. 

My friend and I were arguing on which are the official world rules and which table is more recognized around the world and he kept insisting Italian Foosball rules are more recognized around the world.  I don't think that's the case. American Foosball seems more technical like real soccer to me,  where as Italian Foosball is too fast and seems like it's all luck since the ball is flying all over the place. I know there is some skill involved in it also but it does not seem that way to me. At least that's my opinion.

So I was wondering what you guys and gals  thought about this?

Re: Italian Foosball?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 03:07:14 AM »
I think I can help you with this - I lived in North America for many years and now live close to Italy and I play.  In North America, Tornado tables are obviously very popular.  In Canada, where I lived, before the intoduction of Tornado tables (around 1987-1988) bars and pubs were mostly populated with the Italian made FABI or Garlando tables.  Sons of Italian immigrants in Canada played mostly Italian style rules - 'no passing or dragging' (no push/pull kicks), no dinks, no pinning, no snaking, etc.  In Italy they still play by these rules.  Italians will SWEAR that those are the proper rules.  In fact you can go on youtube and finds clips of Collignon matches with comments by Italians (in Italian) saying what a bad player he is because of all the passing and stopping of the ball (go figure). 

They are obviously wrong.  The international rules are those set out by the ITSF (you can view them on the ITSF's website).  Only Italians (and sons of Italian immigrants) play with Italian rules.  Everywhere else in Europe players play with ITSF rules (or for the less initiated, something very close).

Now, that's not to say that the Italian style rules don't require skill.  They just require a different set of skills.  In fact, there is a set of videos on Youtube where a top Italian player plays both Collignon and Pappas (as a team) by himself and beats them in an Italian style rules game.  He then goes on to play Collignon with one hand, also in an Italian style rules game, and beats him.  But then, of course, they play an ITSF rules game and Collignon smokes him.

What we (my club's players) usually do when we meet Italian players who insist on Italian style rules is agree to play one game their rules, one game ITSF rules.  Who gets the most total goals in the two games.  Italians, being the proud bunch that they are and wishing to show that they can smoke you in any style, usually agree.

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 03:20:24 AM »
Also, in Europe, Tornado tables are only recognized by those who are SERIOUS about the game.  They are pretty much nowhere to be found in  bars, pubs, universities, etc.  You might find a couple in the UK where the BFA are known to play on them.  Otherwise, due to the cost of them and the high shipping costs, they don't exist.  I had to buy mine from the BFA and it took a while to find it.

In Europe, there are many table manufacturers and depending on where in Europe you live, you'll find a different type of table.  In Italy - Garlando or FABI.  Germany - Tecball or Lechmacher, Czech Republic - Garlando or Rosengart, UK - Garlando, FABI, maybe a fireball or two, France - Bonzini, etc.  No Tornados.

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 03:55:40 AM »
Thanks for that info.

Now I know what to tell my friend.

I often tell him that Foosball should be like real soccer with passing techniques and having different striking strategies in mind. I usually joke with him that in soccer you just don't see soccer players kicking the ball like mad men all over the field and praying to God that the ball lands on the goal.

I'm gonna check out those videos on YouTube.

Thanks again ....

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 06:28:24 AM »
The greater the number of restrictions you place on any activity, the more you limit the abilities of the participant.   I use to play Italian style rules when I first started playing in my formative teen years.  I wish I didn't.  I lost the chance to acquire, early on, the skills I am now trying to develop.

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 06:29:14 AM »
Oh...and you're welcome.

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 02:37:42 PM »
There's no way Italian rules are used more than tournament style foosball rules... Outside of Italy and Canada, I don't know where they actually play Italian style Tournaments. Even in other European countries where Italian style tables are used, they have been modified to facilitate pinning and passing as opposed to one touch play. As a side note, most Italians will tell you foosball originated in Italy too; I think it started in Germany but am not 100% sure.

There's actually two different sets of Italian style rules... One where if you stop the ball or hit two men on the same rod, you need to hit the wall before scoring, and one where if you stop of hit two men on the same rod, you need to reserve. In Canada, they have tournaments using both sets of Italian rules, on Montreal they play these on the old style Garlando tables with blocky feet, in Toronto Fabi tables are used. In Italy, Roberto Sport tables are the tournament standard. The majority of foosers in Montreal and Toronto will play regular rules on these tables, however, so even here on Italian tables, Italian rules are used less than not.

Italian rules are really good for developing reflexes, hand-eye coordination, and defence; don't be thinking that there's no strategy, there are quite a few advanced techniques that appear to be smash and pray.

Offline papafoos

• Good luck reaching me IM, I usually keep them off.
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 08:43:19 PM »
Italian rules are really good for developing reflexes, hand-eye coordination, and defence;

Exactly my feelings.  I used to play against some Italians who were military training here in the USA.  I would prefer rookie players start this way.  It helps develop their natural reactions. 

It won't help you win in a tournament setting though unless you're playing on the Corona table.

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 10:35:32 PM »
Italian rules are really good for developing reflexes, hand-eye coordination, and defence;

Exactly my feelings.  I used to play against some Italians who were military training here in the USA.  I would prefer rookie players start this way.  It helps develop their natural reactions. 

It won't help you win in a tournament setting though unless you're playing on the Corona table.

I truly believe that one can greatly improve their skills by trying, experimenting with, a variety of different tables, styles, and even changing the ball on a given surface, not to learn how to master a game that will never exist, i.e. cork ball on Tornado, or Bonzini rod on a Fireball surface(both of which I've done), but rather to understand more the mechanics of the ball, surface, and man, and about the little differences. I will soon be purchasing a Garlando rod for my Fireball, although I've been having trouble finding where I can buy a Garlando ball in the US. I even hope to create a rod with the Spanish men with split feet in order to just understand how the game is quite different and to enjoy a little bit more history of foosball. I believe that Italian rules can greatly improve certain skills, specifically just being able to find the ball. I sometimes will lose a match, not because the opposing player was that much better than me in terms of three man skills or five man skills, but because of his ability to pick up a loose ball and my inability to do the same.

It's unfortunate that there are so many players who look at foosball as this table is the way and all others suck. I find such players rather uneducated about foosball, not all of them, but many. Those who investigate those differences might at least appreciate the differences and the varying skills and are welcome to remain biased toward the table that they excel at. The others might still excel in their own niche, and even be able to play their own style on other tables(often with a grimace), but I think they'd get even better if they'd at least try something different and learn from it.

Never played Italian rules, but I hope to learn some day. 

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 12:47:19 AM »
Anderson,  I would go with a Barenherz magic ball on a Garlando rod.  It takes a few hours of play for the top coating to wear off, but then they grip nicely.  Garlando balls (any of the three they offer) are not really designed well to get the most of the Garlando rod.  Just me opinion.

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 09:30:23 PM »
the table you played on was prolly a robertosport.... hands down the worst table we ran into when we first went over. it has made vast improvements however since. it's one of their official tables of choice. I was there when those vids where shot. it was in Prague. the guy rico plays is the number three rated player al  volo style. and yes although it looks reckless the top players are very skilled. I watched him beat rico one handed and then billy and fred one on two for cash. truly remarkable. I also watched Massimo, the president of the Italian Federation beat tony and ryan one on two in al volo play.

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 08:42:21 AM »
Garlando was my first table which I learned on in a bar in Hampton, Va. around 1972-73. Rene Pierre tables were all over the place at that time, but there were a few Garlandos here and there, and the playing styles of these two different tables were radically different. The Garlando tables were FAST and us Garlando players played that way with no passing, lots of 5man shots, and push, pullkick and on-the-move shooting on the 3rod. When Rene Pierre players would come into our bar and try to play with us we always smoked them. On the other hand, when us Garlando players played our rocketball style on the Rene Piere tables, we did quite well and also drove the Rene Pierre aficianados crazy with our 5man shots and take-no-prisoners style of fast play. It was obvious to the most casual observer that Garlando players were able to adapt much better to the other guy's table that they were to ours, across the board. Later, when I discovered Tournament Soccer in 1975, I was able to learn passing & control without losing anything on my 5man shot. Trust me on this, 5man shots are legal, ethical and quite effective. They will also make you lots of enemies! As some other people on this thread commented above, playing different styles with different rules on very different tables will make you better. Rocketball style play is also a lot of fun.

Offline FOOZUL

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 10:46:23 AM »

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 08:51:32 PM »
Hi Buckshot,   I played RP '70-71-72. Yes, lots of them throughout Tidewater area (now referred to as Hampton Rhoads I hear). One Virginia Beach bar, "The Shack" had a Garlando. Very fast & fun.  RP players were sort of rocketball Alvolo in the beginning 'cause we didn't know any better(but it was fun). As we caught that grippy light weight white cork ball, accidently at first, then intentionally things changed radically. I can see things being just as you describe at the time/place. When I moved from the beach, RP 5bars shots were the bomb as were 3 bar front pin pushes & pulls (which we called "curl" shots), & banks & cuts) against a race D that was just starting to move/bait. Keep on foosin,  John 

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 07:56:31 AM »
Hi John, Back then the Hampton Rhodes Bridge Tunnel still had a toll so I hardly ever went to Va Beach, but I remember that some of the best local RP players came from that area.
      I never could get that front-pin down. It's funny how certain shots evade us and other shots are natural. I find the pull shot and front-pin virtually impossible to do, yet for many people these shots are almost automatic. Some of the Rene Pierre players could really finess that front-pin push/pull, always moving, and then PING!
     There were move foosball tables in the Tidewater area in the early 70's than any other time&place I've ever heard of. They were in little country stores and gas stations, bars, and great big foosball rooms. Best name ever for a foosball emporium: Windup! Little place in Hampton with about 6-8 tables owned by a friend of mine, cool young dude named Ronnie Mays. Ah, to be young again.