Foosball.com Forums

City Fooshall - Dallas Texas - 70's

City Fooshall - Dallas Texas - 70's
« on: March 29, 2006, 12:51:56 AM »
If there were a Texas Foosball Hall Of Fame, most of it's members would say at one time or another they played at the City Fooshall owned by Sam Canales.  Players such as Gary Pfiel, Lori Schranz, and of course Gary's goalie, "Duke".
Legend has it that anyone that could play traveled to the City Foosball to see how long you could hold a table against the best local players Dallas had to offer.       
Money tournaments were unheard of, only trophies, and pride.  I know from my own experience players came from Houston, Arkansas, and Oklahoma to the City Fooshall to try and compete against local Dallas players.
Standout players were Reggie Congleton, Ralph Flores, Rusty Wyman, Tony Turner, Raymond Morris, Gary Aames, Scott Moreland, Roula Palmer.  I played with George Palmer, my name is Mark Reber.
I know my list is short however I welcome your names to this post.  I remember some fantastic players from Oak Cliff during this time, make yourself known!
I don't see why any one of these people could not play again, with a little practice. I'll be back! And you?

Offline SumnerH

• No spinning, have fun!
Re: City Fooshall - Dallas Texas - 70's
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 04:06:30 PM »
Lori Schranz

Lori came out to World's in 2004 I think (maybe 2003?).  She'll occasionally show up and not play (just hang out w/ friends) at tournaments in Texas.  Tough to compare across eras, but she's one of the top women ever to play the game.  I can't say she was better than Cindy or Moya, but I can't say she was worse either.

Scott Moreland

Scott still shows up at most majors, and his son Brandon is one of the rising stars now--he got 3rd place in Open Doubles at Vegas this past weekend.

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 08:37:30 PM »
Standout players were Reggie Congleton, Ralph Flores, Rusty Wyman, Tony Turner, Raymond Morris, Gary Aames, Scott Moreland, Roula Palmer.  I played with George Palmer, my name is Mark Reber.

These are the people we use to play with and against! Most of us in Tulsa would go to Big D to find players of our caliber. One thing I can tell you is that Bob Hayes was fun to party with! I even brought Tony Turner back to Tulsa to stay for a while (he even brought his brother). Just befor any big Tournament we would go to Texas just to get ready with good players! Even qualified for the Nationals tournament one year by playing and winning in Austin (missed the qualifier in Tulsa due to work).
   On a different note did you ever play in Tulsa at the Tornado Shelter? I ran it from 1975 - 1977 :)

Bert
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 09:24:55 PM by Bert Mccurley »

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 10:01:22 PM »
I remember Tony Turner for his pull shot.  He would always set up, then move his long hair to one side, then Bam! Easy to talk to, basically a down to earth good guy.  Unfortunately, I don't remember his brother.  And no, I never was fortunate to stray to far from Dallas.

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 08:54:10 AM »
Hey, I remember you guys. You were awesome when you were hot. Nobody could beat you. From what I remember though, that George Palmer guy had to carry you a lot. Do you still hear from Terry Colbert or Hardy?

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 12:21:47 PM »
Uncle Geege,
What's up brother?  It's been a long time. Too much history to cover in this posting.  Been living in Maryland for the last 10 years.  But were back home now, living in Garland. Darla and Sarah graduate from Sachse high school this year.  I've been fishing with Hardy a couple of times since we moved  back.  That's pretty much about it.  I talked to Ruben Flores while in Maryland, we thought he was shot and killed by someone, long story. And you? I know you have kids, right?  How is Beverly? Still in touch with Lana? And Taki Spiroupoulos?   
I have to admit you did carry me in ONE tournament we played in.  The one we took home $600.00 for first place. And Ocie won the calcutta!  Or, are you talking about the night we were at the club and I volunteered you to gamble against those two guys who by some misfortune had never heard of you?  You played them both by yourself (part of my bet) and left them broke and crying in their beers!
Well, old man, gotta go for now, send me an email, Windowsurfer1@msn.com

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 12:50:09 PM »
Uhhhh, there IS a Texas Foosball Hall of Fame.

For the list, go to 3:36 of this video...

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/2008-texas-legends-of-foosball/1592232387
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 12:55:04 PM by Bless em »