Foosball.com Forums

4 Extra entry cups on table? What for?

4 Extra entry cups on table? What for?
« on: March 06, 2012, 12:57:14 AM »
Im sure this is a simple question for the people who were playing in the 70's...........I have a 1970 Patterson Foosball match table, and I was just wondering what the 4 extra entry cups are used for on the sides? On top of the ramps it has a wooden latch to slide over and cover the balls from entering it during gameplay. If you have the flaps open and the ball travels in...........it stays in there.......allowing only 3 balls to stay in there. It's used in gameplay somehow id imagine because you cant actually use it as a actual entry cup because the ball is blocked by a small piece of wood, thus from allowing it to roll back onto the field. Is this a game you can play? Or does it halft to do with not using the corners? or for Practice shots?

Off subject but any suggestions on type of foosballs would go good with my table?? Im about to purchase some but just want some input. Because we all know you've gotta have balls to play this game.

Thanks alot fellow foosers, Jeff

Offline papafoos

• Good luck reaching me IM, I usually keep them off.
Re: 4 Extra entry cups on table? What for?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 03:09:22 PM »
The extra holes were for free shots.  Get it in the hole and you get to take a shot from the three row.  Not a very popular option.  We almost never used it and instead kept the covers on.

The original balls were cork.  They're really slick when new, but when they break in, you can throw some nasty masse and bank shots.  I'd recommend only the cork or the white plastic balls.  The men are flexible and might break with the heavier balls.

I'd be careful about using the heavier balls. (Tornado, Warrior, Fireball, etc.)

A great collector table but not good for tournament practice since there are no tournaments that I'm aware of that use this table.  You can still learn the basics though.  When I played on those, I had very little trouble adjusting to the larger tournament tables.  After I converted to the tournament tables, I couldn't play the old Foosball Match worth a darn.

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 11:06:37 AM »
Do you have an email address, I tried sending you a message, but your pm box is full.

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 04:49:03 PM »
Do you have an email address, I tried sending you a message, but your pm box is full.

I made room in my inbox, but my email is also Gersman23@yahoo

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 05:23:04 PM »
Thanks Papafoos! You've really given me something to think about, and opened my eyes pretty wide! Im newer to the foosball world.........mainly because my brother got rid of the old "TS brown top" I believe thats what its called...........Before I was a teenager, and I was playing on that table pretty much my whole life. My uncles teaching me moves from their days, and just practicing non stop.............even blowing my homework off alot for it. Once the table was gone, felt like me too! So I couldnt play on the regular, and I just lost about all interest in it. Its a shame because its a great game and I felt like I would of been really good had I kept at it. But here I am getting back into it, and ran across an old table. Sorry for the life story but just wanted to show you were Im at in foosball. Never knew foosball was this big nowadays, and how different the tables are, and how they've progressed over the years.  I should of done more research on what kind of table I should be playing on to get serious with, 1970 Patterson probably isnt the best bet lol more show then go............from what im assuming.

Papa, you did say you started on a table like this, and it helped you transition pretty well when moving to tournament style tables.
Do you think I should stay on this table and better my skills "Money is kinda tight right now" or look at getting newer tournament style table? I really like the "Fireball table, from what ive read" but that will halft to wait a little bit. I guess my main question is, and you kinda already answered it for me earlier..............But will it be a complete shock for me when I play on a newer tornado or something similar, after playing the majority of my game on my old Patterson? Or will it actually help my transition?   Any suggestions from fellow foosers would help out!

Thanks,
Jeff
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:25:25 PM by St. Louis »

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 06:02:06 PM »
Honestly, first go out and find a weekly/monthly whatever event in your area and start there... yeah you'll find big differences in the tables, but if money's tight you need to test the waters to see if you really want to invest in a tournament table. If after playing in a few local events you decide the competitive foos scene isn't for you, then keep the old table for games between you and your friends.

To become truly good at the game you'll need a tournament quality table, but that doesn't mean the table you have now is worthless.

Offline papafoos

• Good luck reaching me IM, I usually keep them off.
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 01:26:27 AM »
If you're actually in the St Louis area, you should have no trouble finding some tournaments (probably on Tornado).  The Patterson table will be okay for learning the basics of ball control and a pull shot.  However, once you get used to a Tornado, you'll have a better understanding of why I called it (the Patterson table) a collector table and not a serious tournament table.  It can still be a lot of fun though.

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 03:16:02 PM »
Mr. L. Patterson's Foosball Match was the first table I ever played. Papafoos would know better than I (the actual rules) but we counted a ball shot into the small hole as 2 points. Still not popular so we quickly just covered those small holes & shot for the goal mouth. I still have a "I'm a fooser tm" button & have given the others away. One of my favorite momentos was given to me by the local franchise holder-  A  yellow banner (about 4ft wide & about a ft. high) with black letters reading "WE HAVE FOOSBALL tm".  I still hang it out once in a while during practice.