Foosball.com Forums

Need to Evaluate a Potential Grey Marble Purchase...

Need to Evaluate a Potential Grey Marble Purchase...
« on: May 03, 2012, 07:40:13 AM »
Found this table - he's willing to sell for $450.  I see some minor cosmetic damage on the outside, but what questions and what do I need to look for when inspecting it in person.  I've read BBTuna's thread, but for example how do I test if the playing surface is warped?  Do I bring a level and test it in certain spots?  Let me know how you guys would evaluate this table.  Thanks.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/bfs/2960380656.html

What date was it manufactured?
How many games does the counter show that have been played?
Have any of the parts been replaced since you bought it?
Are there any chips or cracks near the goals or on the playing field or is the field warped ?
Are any of the rods bent?

Offline Jeron

Re: Need to Evaluate a Potential Grey Marble Purchase...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 07:46:40 PM »
I detailed how i level a table and check for a warped surface in the link below. i think it was the 4th post if i remember corectly.

http://foosball.com/forum/index.php?topic=4880.msg21975#msg21975

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 08:42:27 AM »
Thanks for the info.

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 04:57:02 AM »
around May 2003 was the first run of the grey marble (first batch had crowned surfaces)
then the 30 annys came out (grey marble with the 30 anny stickers on them
i think it went for 2-3 more yrs? ,,before the aluminum side (ice box) tables came out

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 01:21:13 AM »
I have never heard of or seen a grey that was warped...in my thread I am worried about abuse from beer or other water damage which can happen but is also very rare...$450 is a steal and since its a grey, if its not the 30th anniversary version, it is nearly certain to have all Merkel rods unless the person was savy enough to pull switch them off which is highly unlikely...great find...enjoy, let us know how it goes

Offline Jeron

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 08:51:23 AM »
Tuna,

My grey marble was warped. I didn't know enough about them when I purchased. But after I got it home and learned how to level it and everything found out it was in fact w.arped. The center was bowed down. Replaced the play field and it's was perfectly fine after that. So it may be rare but it can happen

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 10:50:48 PM »
jeron,

good to know, I have run into a number and heard of many warped early fridge models but yours is the first grey but yours is also the rist I have heard that could actually fix the issue...I know of a bunch of ways people tried to address the Fridge issues but with the one I play on regularly, none of that stuff works completely...maybe its just this one has too many warps...if you have just one concave in the middle you can push it up evenly  and get it to work but the one I play on has more than one problem so to fix one makes another a problem and so on

anyway, thanks for the info, I will add it to my history