Foosball.com Forums

HELP! Broken cabinet lock

HELP! Broken cabinet lock
« on: July 30, 2012, 02:10:33 AM »
So I just went to open my t2000 and the cabinet lock on the right side will accept the key and turn and appear to unlock but the barrel is somehow disconnected and stuck out in the lock position and still in the cabinet tounge lock hole. I should have figured this would happen because last time I had it open I had trouble with that lock. The coin op mechanism has been removed from my table but I can't reach the lock with my fingers from there to push the barrel back through the tounge. What I need to know is how to remove this lock from the cabinet so I can get the cabinet open and then how to install the new lock I have on order. I don't want to damage the cabinet to get it open if possible as I am in the middle of a complete restoration of this old brown marble. Please help!

Offline Jeron

Re: HELP! Broken cabinet lock
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 11:46:05 PM »
Does the lock pop out like normal or will the key turn but it won't pop out

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 03:13:38 AM »
The lock is poppEd out in the locked position and seems to be disconnected from the lock itself  . I can turn the key but it does nothing since the shaft portion of the lock is disconnected

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 10:28:30 AM »
I would get one of those little mirrors on a telescoping rod, a small LED light, and a coat hanger. Go through the coin receiver hole.  Illuminate the back of the lock, use the mirror to guide you, and see if the bent coat hanger can push on the back of the lock. If this works, it will save you a lot of grief. If it doesn't work, you can always drill out the lock. Make sure the lock is popped out in front first!

Offline papafoos

• Good luck reaching me IM, I usually keep them off.
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 03:51:53 PM »
It's possible the plunger is binding up on the cabinet.  With the lock in the unlock position, try adjusting the top cabinet by pulling up, left, right and maybe pushing down.  If you're lucky, that's the problem and it will turn loose.  The bad news, if that is the problem it may bind with the new lock.

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 12:27:47 PM »
Its not binding bEcause the last time I had the cabinet open I had a problem with the lock plunger disconnecting from the lock while it was open. It Thought I had the lock fixed when I closed it and locked it but it must have disconnected from the lock mechanism again once it was closed. Probably gotta try the old coat hanger or drill it out. Either way I will have to replace the lock because I'm not gonna deal with this problem again

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 01:28:43 PM »
I have noticed on my cabinet lock that sometimes when I unlock it and the barrel pops out, the whole barrel wants to come out. Not sure if this is by design or there is a flaw, but you may want to try unlocking the lock and jiggling it with the key still inserted to see if you can pull out the whole barrel mechanism. If so, might give you access to the guts that will allow you to push the pin out.

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 02:33:11 PM »
This is the exact problem mine is having. What pin do I need to pop out?

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 02:35:15 PM »
O nevermind I understand what u mean. I'll give it a shot before I drill it out

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 09:42:02 AM »
Got it open!  Coat hanger and flashlight thru the coin oP hole. Plunger was broken off lock. Replaced it. Good as new