Foosball.com Forums

Advice on buying table

Advice on buying table
« on: September 28, 2012, 08:28:13 PM »
  Hi, I have limited experience playing just in Junior Highschool, but now that I'm older and have kids, I'd like to splurge on a table for home use.  I'm not too concerned about tournament play but want to make sure it stands up to their abuse (they both spin their players).  My kids are 9 and 12.  My house had wood floors which are reasonably level.  We may not always have 4 players.  Heck, I wouldn't even mind practicing solo if such a thing is possible.

I don't know anything about brands or playability or cachet, but I was drawn to Rene Pierre's club foosball tables.  I like the look, the curves.  I think it has telescoping rods which seem a bit safer.  I like that the majority of the assembly is done prior to shipping.  I like the painted faces/uniforms of the players rather than solid blocks of plastic.  I do note that there's only one Goalie?  I've also read that it's built more towards European players and emphasizes control and feel rather than power/speed?  I don't know if that's a gimmick? 

I live in Texas.  I've searched the forum but have only found posts about searching for parts?  How is the support/repair in the states?  Any feedback on this table or brand?  Any other information that'd be important in picking a table?  I will have to order online and don't have access to visit a foosball table store.

Offline papafoos

• Good luck reaching me IM, I usually keep them off.
Re: Advice on buying table
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 01:08:37 AM »
I'd recommend Tornado, especially since you are in Texas.  If you ever decide to get out of the house to play foos, Tornado is about the only serious table you'll find in Texas.  A Tornado table will also outlast you with proper maintenance and if you don't abuse it.  Parts are more readily available too.

ATX...does that mean you're in Austin?  If you are, there is a major tournament the weekend of Oct 5.  You should check it out.  Saturday will be the main events, but you can see plenty of great players on Friday night or Sunday.  It will be at Buffalo Billiards at 6th and Brazos.  Your kids will be able to get in but they have to remain in the upstairs tournament room and be with a guardian.  Once they leave, they won't be allowed back in.  It will be worth your time just to see some of the top players in the world and if you get to meet some of the players, they'll be happy to show you some things to practice.

They will also sell you one of the tables or you can get some insight as to where you can pick up a good used table.

Offline alaris

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 06:01:49 AM »
With small kids in the home the Bonzini (Rene Pierre style table)  is a safe table, no eyes or sides getting poked.  The kids that play at my house always play on the Bonzini table instead of the Tornado sitting right next to it.  I have been told by a couple of them it is because the don't like the the rods sticking out on tornado and they like the "grippy" ball on Bonzini.  Bonzini is the higher priced table. Hope that helps you a little in your decision making.

Rebecca
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 06:06:14 AM by alaris »

Offline alaris

« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 06:27:48 AM by alaris »

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 08:17:18 AM »
I'd recommend Tornado, especially since you are in Texas.  If you ever decide to get out of the house to play foos, Tornado is about the only serious table you'll find in Texas.  A Tornado table will also outlast you with proper maintenance and if you don't abuse it.  Parts are more readily available too.

ATX...does that mean you're in Austin?  If you are, there is a major tournament the weekend of Oct 5.  You should check it out.  Saturday will be the main events, but you can see plenty of great players on Friday night or Sunday.  It will be at Buffalo Billiards at 6th and Brazos.  Your kids will be able to get in but they have to remain in the upstairs tournament room and be with a guardian.  Once they leave, they won't be allowed back in.  It will be worth your time just to see some of the top players in the world and if you get to meet some of the players, they'll be happy to show you some things to practice.

They will also sell you one of the tables or you can get some insight as to where you can pick up a good used table.
Hi yes, I do live in Austin.  Thanks for the tip on the upcoming tournament.  I had no idea this was taking place (I'm too old for most of the 6th street activities).  I'll go check it out!