Foosball.com Forums

Rod Lubrication

Offline Pat

Rod Lubrication
« on: January 19, 2013, 09:15:01 AM »
Based upon my experience, furniture polish by far the most popular lubrication used on Leonhart and TecBall tables.  The reasoning is that it makes the rods glide easily enough but, unlike silicon, it won't make the ball or playing filed slippery if they are touched after accidentally touching the rods.

The manager of one of the few bars with a Tornado claims that furniture polish destroys the bumpers and uses oil instead.  It's obvious that oil eats away at rubber and plastic but he refuses to believe this.  However,  I don't know whether he is correct regarding the polish. 

Is there any reason to use silicon instead of furniture polish on Tornado?

Re: Rod Lubrication
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 09:30:37 AM »
I have been using furniture polish for more years than i care to say  with no damage to bumpers , bearings or rods.

I am interested in seeing what others have to say.

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 12:54:01 AM »
I have used baby oil three and one oil also anything to keep the rods moving quickly

Offline Tyler Foos

• JacksonvilleTableSoccer.com
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 06:51:27 AM »
I don't know if there are any problems with using furniture polish on rods, that was the most common product I remember from the Tournament Soccer days of the 70's. But I would reverse the question to 'since silicone works so well on single rod tables, why bother using furniture polish?'. I say 'single rod' because the best lubricant for a 2 rod table (like Bonzini, RP, etc.) is teflon. When you have a micro-thin layer of teflon on both rods, they glide over each other perfectly.

The 2 cautions are to never mix lubricants, if you put silicone on top of teflon you get a gummy mess (alwyas thouroghly clean off old before putting new on) and never use a petroleum based product (like 3 in 1 or WD-40) because the petroleum will steadily degrade the plastic and rubber it comes in contact with (bearings, bumpers).

Tyler

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 10:44:27 PM »
What products is best for cleaning the playing field ?

Offline Tyler Foos

• JacksonvilleTableSoccer.com
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 02:16:06 PM »
Furniture polish...no, no,just kidding!  ;)

Fantastic spray cleaner works great and leaves no residue. Isopropyl alcohol works well too, especially on Tornado.

Tyler

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 10:04:23 PM »
Lol ...thanks I  have tornado