Foosball.com Forums

What's a GOOD pull shot defense?

What's a GOOD pull shot defense?
« on: November 20, 2010, 06:41:19 PM »
I'm a pull shooter, but I really struggle with defending against a good pull shot.  I would take defending a rollover or europin any day over a pull shot.  The reason I like shooting a pull is probably the same reason why I find it difficult to defend against.  In my opinion, at an Expert/Pro level, it's more deceptive shot - where you can trick the defender out of position better than what I find snake shooters can do (because the snake shot is usually fast enough that there's no time to be fooled).

One of our best players here is a very consistent pull shooter, and I can't figure him out consistently.  But even an Amateur pull will get past me more often than I'd like to admit.  So I'm wondering if anyone out there can provide some advice.  Or if there's a very good example of who's a great pull shot defender on YouTube.  I think video would be best, because theory in words alone is hard to put into practice.

I'd appreciate it if anyone can show some good footage of what s/he believes is a good pull defense, and explain WHY it's a good defense.
Usually on YouTube, defenses all look a little too fast and blurry for me to analyze, but perhaps someone else out there is better at pointing out what's good and what's not.

Thanks.

Offline crazy8

Re: What's a GOOD pull shot defense?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 10:27:22 AM »
To block and perchance to steal...

1) Start thinking of your goalmen as individuals.  They should work indepentantly, but in harmony with each other.  Rarely, should they move in unison.

2) Hold the handles loosely so you men can retain the ball after the block.

3) Learn the pull-shot options.  If you know which holes can be hit then you will know which hole open

4) Best advice I've received - "put a man there".  If you are always getting beat to the long-hole - put a man there and make you opponent hit (o,r miss) something else.  Take away his best shot.

5) You can react quicker if you use you fingers instead of you arms to move the men.

6) Don't freeze!  You are too slow to race a good pull-shot - and not only you.

7) Your movements needn't be frantic - it's ok to slowly drift into/out-of a hole. 

8) Be aware of what is opening when you move.

9) Bait and switch.

10) Try not to leave several hole open at the same time - know what is open, always!

11) Don't type an 'eight' followed by a close-quote because it shows up as a smiley with sunglasses.

Paul

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 12:47:06 AM »
i shouldn't even be saying this because that's my only real kill shot but put your back guy a balls width from the post with a slight backward lean.  Then purposely put your front guy straight up and down and on the ball leaving a big gap between the players so you create the obvious shot.  If you know where they are aiming, your reaction time will be much better.  Leave your back guy still and move your front into the gap as soon as she moves.  I can block just about any pull shot with that.   

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 11:10:31 AM »
You might try describing how you approach defending the pull now. 

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 11:12:13 AM »
This is an interesting article....http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-beat-anyone-at-rock-paper-scissors-2015-12

I think there are some similarities that could be applied to foosball -both passing and shooting