Foosball.com Forums

Foosball Table Help

Foosball Table Help
« on: August 23, 2011, 02:54:18 AM »
Hello All,

I am currently in the market for a "French" style foosball table.  I was wondering if the Rene Pierre table would be a good option.  I would like to buy a Bonzini table but they are out of my price range for a new one.  Can anyone tell me if the two brands are similar in playing style, and if one is better than the other.  I've done a lot of research online and haven't been able to find any used tables or somewhere I could go nearby to demo one of the tables.  I live outside of Houston, Texas.  If there is anyone out there near Houston that has one of these tables it would be great to hear from you!

Thanks,

C. Roper

Offline Tyler Foos

• JacksonvilleTableSoccer.com
Re: Foosball Table Help
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 09:27:57 AM »
Charles,

First of all, welcome to the forum!

If you can find a 70's rp table in mint condition, it would play about the same as a relatively new Bonzini. The problem would be finding parts. Any Renee Pierre from the 90's and later would be a sub-standard knockoff of the Bonzini table, parts would still be an ongoing problem (close to zero mfg support in the USA) and the playability is not even close to the Bonzini table. Bonzinis last a long time and are the standard for french style play. If buying new is out of your price range, finding a used one would be a much better goal than trying to get any RP. Alan at Bonzini USA works directly with the manufacturer and can help you with any parts or service needs that could ever come up.

I played on a mid-70's RP during my college days (late 70's), then didn't play for about 20 years. About 10 years ago, when I saw a current RP, I couldn't believe how light, flimsy and poorly constructed the Renee Pierres had become. Soon after this I saw my first Bonzini and it surpasses the workmanship and playability of even that 70's RP.

Hope this helps........................................Tyler

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 11:10:10 AM »
I'm in the market for a Bonzini myself, and contacted a guy who had one in San Antonio. I'll pm you his email address.

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 11:27:15 AM »
you live in TX and you are looking for a French table, now that is the height of foosball irony....there is no organized Bonzini play in TX but tons of "American" foosball which means
Tornado...many think American tournament foosball was fashioned in TX and of course those in TX think all of American foosball grew and spread from them and they have a darn good arguement and tons of history

but if you are hoping to find other Bonzini buddies in TX I think its going to be a lonely road and I wouldn't mention it in a bar or anything because there is a good chance it will come to blows

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 12:58:48 PM »
Speaking for myself: when something I say enrages a Texan, I know I'm on the right track.

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 01:04:03 PM »
Thanks guys for your replies!  I will definitely look more for a Bonzini table.

Bbtuna.  It’s disappointing to me there is no “French Style” foosball playing going on anywhere in Texas.  My dad grew up in the Houston area in the 70s when foosball halls were very common. He actually met my mother in a foosball hall, and from what I’ve heard was very good.  Apparently, back then the foosball tables were more of a French style of play and slowly turned to American “speed ball” play.  It’s funny, we have an American made table and he gets so frustrated when we play with the lack of pass and ball control the table offers.  I’ve tried so many foosballs on the market to get close to the ball control my dad was used to back then without much luck.  I think the next step is definitely going to be getting a Bonzini. 

Based on what I’ve researched, and I’m not sure it is true, but it seems American “big business” is the reason the style of foosball has slowly changed in America.  Back in the 70s when foosball was on the rise, American companies wanted a piece of the market and started putting out tables without sticking to the grass roots-such as the table surface, ball materials, etc.

Maybe a “French Style” movement will happen in Texas!

Thanks again guys for your responses!

C. Roper   

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 01:56:33 PM »
Tornado has plenty of ball control
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oz5RtMwzqs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dobiWTEv0i4

what you mean by ball control is pinned ball control and even that is fine, it is just nothing as sticky as a Bonzini but Bonzini doesn't allow for easily shot inline shots and kicks from set positions

here is a little example of control possibilities on Tornado and if you choose Tornado, you might acutally find some people to play with...french style tables didn't have much of a life believe me...Tornado style tables like Dynamo have dominated Texas since the mid 70s...those early versions had a little more stickiness then current model but there isn't anything you might want to do that can't be done on Tornado

this is the best Bonzini player in the world and you will notice he doesn't have any "control" issues with Tornaod
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO198e_OpmY&feature=related

with that said, you should get the best of both worlds and buy Fireball and I am not kidding...FB is everything Tornado is plus more control, enough, I think even a dedicated frenchy will love playing on it

bbt