Foosball.com Forums

Which is the best book of Foosball?

Which is the best book of Foosball?
« on: February 26, 2013, 05:20:06 PM »
Hi!

I am thinking of opening a class at my collage to teach people how to play professional Foosball, I want to have a good book to help me give the class some structure and have enough theory to back me up.

I am an amateur but I have enough skills to give examples my self. The books I need are for theory and for credibility, I really want new people to recognize Table Soccer as a sport :) The good thing is that in Mexico (where I live) Foosball was registered as a sport by the Mexican Table Soccer Federation (FMFM in spanish) so I only need to spread the word  ;)

This are the books I saw available:

- The Complete Book of Foosball
- Zen and The Art of Foosball: A Beginner's Guide to Table Soccer
- World Table Soccer Almanac

So, which is the best book?

Re: Which is the best book of Foosball?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 11:43:51 PM »
What part of Mexico do you live?

Alan

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 12:30:11 AM »
From Ensenada, B.C.

Why? Are from México also?

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 07:07:55 AM »
I'm also interested in book about foosball. I have found one but it was way outdated. It preferred  backpin instead of frontpin. Which for the old slick tables was true but tables changed since then. Anyway... if you find some useful book - I'll be happy to read it.

The only practical tutorial I've found (in another thread on this forum) is Ryan Knaptons tutorial - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwePp7H0a7Q&list=LLi9wz7p2E-BRoVh7WMR6J9Q&feature=mh_lolz it also contains a link to xml file to track the progress. I think my 5bar improved by trying the exercises (I still suck though).

Good luck with your foosball school!

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 09:22:08 AM »
Hi!

I am thinking of opening a class at my collage to teach people how to play professional Foosball, I want to have a good book to help me give the class some structure and have enough theory to back me up.

I am an amateur but I have enough skills to give examples my self. The books I need are for theory and for credibility, I really want new people to recognize Table Soccer as a sport :) The good thing is that in Mexico (where I live) Foosball was registered as a sport by the Mexican Table Soccer Federation (FMFM in spanish) so I only need to spread the word  ;)

This are the books I saw available:

- The Complete Book of Foosball
- Zen and The Art of Foosball: A Beginner's Guide to Table Soccer
- World Table Soccer Almanac

So, which is the best book?

None of those books will be that much help. "The Complete Book..." is pretty out of date (and good luck finding a copy!) The Almanac is more of a chronicle of foosball history. Might be of some help giving some perspective on foosball as a sport. The "Zen" book is garbage.

Your two best tools for learning foosball?

1) Inside Foos videos. Any of them. www.insidefoos.com
2) The Inner Game of Tennis. http://theinnergame.com/products/books/the-inner-game-of-tennis/

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 07:55:16 PM »
From Ensenada, B.C.

Why? Are from México also?

No, I get alot of request for Bonzini tables in Mexico. It's difficult sometimes to get the shipping arrangements together.
I agree with Brad about the inside foos videos. The Almanac is a pretty historical reference piece. Research some European resources also, they started playing about 40-50 years before anyone in North America. Foosball is embedded in their culture (Gemany, Italy, Austria, and France)

Alan

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 03:04:24 PM »
Thank you everyone for your reply's.

I started wondering about buying a book when a read some extracts from The Complete Book Of Foosball and I didn't considered them outdated. I found them really interesting.

http://www.foosball.com/learn/howtoplay/ch8tips3.htm

I would gladly accept donations :) if someone has one of the books I mentioned and wants to get rid of them  8)