Foosball.com Forums

YOUTH FOOSBALL TOURNAMENT - STL

YOUTH FOOSBALL TOURNAMENT - STL
« on: April 03, 2013, 02:18:26 AM »
Hey guys, I'm brand new here and wanted to see if there were any youth foosball functions set up in St. Louis?  I have an 8-year old who is convinced he is ready for the big-time! He IS decent, but it kinda stirred my curiosity about if anything was out there? Any input would be appreciated!  Thanks!

Offline papafoos

• Good luck reaching me IM, I usually keep them off.
Re: YOUTH FOOSBALL TOURNAMENT - STL
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 12:00:23 AM »
One of foosball's biggest problems is the fact that most of the serious venues are bars.  At it's peak, most of the venues were arcades.  We've lost our ability to showcase the game to the young ones.

Hopefully, some of the St Louis players will respond and point you in the right direction.

The weekend of July 3-7, there will be a large tournament at the Sheraton Westport Chalet Hotel, 191 Westport Plaza, Maryland Heights MO 63146.  This will be a good opportunity to see some world class players.  Your son should be able to play in the beginner class, but be forewarned...there are a lot of "beginners" who are not beginners.

I'm sure he'll like it.  One of St Louis' best players was about 14-16 when he started dominating.  That gives your son a 6 year head start.

Here is the link to the schedule.  http://foosball.com/schedule/index.htm

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 11:39:40 AM »
I brought my 12 year old son and 10 year daughter to the Michigan State tourney last year. Mary hosted a kids event and handed out medals at the end.  It was great watching them square-off and has since inspired them both to play daily. I hope this continues because we need to mentor in the next generation and what better way than through family?   8)

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 11:50:51 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys!  I agree with both of you, most tournaments happen in bars and I'm not sure he's ready for that.  But I will check out more info on the Sheraton... hopefully he can get his feet wet with that!  Thanks Papa', and I'll keep an eye out for those "beginners" grrrr...  Lol!

Jimmie, is this Mary the one listed on the website?  Mary Moore?  I contacted a Michelle Moore and wasn't sure if there was a relation? 

I haven't seen any real tournaments set up for youths.  I've been kicking around the idea of organizing one.  Have either of you organized such an event?  I'm wondering where to start?  Rec Plex's? YMCA's?  I guess I need to find a place with a few tables open for such an event.  Any info would be great and thanks again!